Horror

Started by TenseAndSober, April 22, 2003, 05:01:56 PM

TenseAndSober

I'm not that into horror movies, but have seen and liked a few.
I love The Exorcist(William Friedkin)probably my fav.
Of course Psycho (Hitchcock)
Texas Chain Saw Massacre was definitely a good one (Tobe Hooper)
The Omen Series...1, 2 and The Final Conflict..(not the fourth one)
American Werewolf in London, (John Landis) (Paris sucked)
The Fly(David Cronenberg)
The Shining(Kubrick)
Carrie(De Palma)
Rosemarys Baby(Polanski) i love this one.
The first Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Halloween were good.
I cant remeber any others right now.
David Lynch made some freaky films as well...Eraserhead... Elephant Man.
I guess theyre not exactly horror but are pretty disturbing.

MacGuffin

Quote from: TenseAndSoberDavid Lynch made some freaky films as well...Eraserhead... Elephant Man.

How is Elephant Man disturbing?  :yabbse-huh:

Alien
Halloween
Jaws
Silence Of The Lambs
Se7en
Misery
Jacob's Ladder
Fatal Attraction
Evil Dead
Re-Animator
Poltergeist
Henry: Portrait Of A Serial Killer
Night Of The Living Dead (original)
Stepford Wives
Repulsion
Peeping Tom
I Spit On Your Grave
Last House On The Left
The Hills Have Eyes
The Thing (both versions)
Cat People (original)
Diabolique (original)
Suspiria
War Of The Worlds
The Day The Earth Stood Still
The Haunting (original)
The Universal Classics: Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy, The Werewolf, Creature From The Black Lagoon, etc.
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (original)

I could go on. I know I'm forgetting a lot.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

bonanzataz

Quote from: MacGuffinLast House On The Left

now did anybody REALLY think this movie was scary. I thought it was one of the funniest movies ever made. I nearly pissed myself when they made that girl piss herself! When the mom bites off the guy's dick... PRICELESS! It was one of the best worst movies ever made, not one second of it even made me shudder. What's even funnier are the interviews on the dvd where wes craven is like, "this scene was very hard to shoot because, it's just so...uncomfortable. i even get squeamish when i watch it..." is he kidding? it's like a scene out of spinal tap or something, i couldn't believe anybody could take this movie seriously.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pedro

Quote from: bonanzataz
Quote from: MacGuffinLast House On The Left

now did anybody REALLY think this movie was scary. I thought it was one of the funniest movies ever made. I nearly pissed myself when they made that girl piss herself! When the mom bites off the guy's dick... PRICELESS! It was one of the best worst movies ever made, not one second of it even made me shudder. What's even funnier are the interviews on the dvd where wes craven is like, "this scene was very hard to shoot because, it's just so...uncomfortable. i even get squeamish when i watch it..." is he kidding? it's like a scene out of spinal tap or something, i couldn't believe anybody could take this movie seriously.
I found the rape scene pretty disturbing...when the parents get involved it gets a bit riddiculous though.

Ernie

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: TenseAndSoberDavid Lynch made some freaky films as well...Eraserhead... Elephant Man.

How is Elephant Man disturbing?

I could be way off but he was probably talking about the way he was treated in the film. I know I found that aspect pretty damn disturbing, like a wake up call for how freaking cruel people can be, you know...I don't know.

Anyway, some of my favorite horror movies.....

the birds
fear (96 version)
halloween
jaws
psycho (original, just saw it)
rear window
rosemary's baby
the shining
signs
silence of the lambs
sleepy hollow

Yeah, I know I need to see a lot more. I've actually always wanted to see Last House on the Left...I hope it's not that horrible, I love the idea. I would fucking beat a guy inside out if he raped my sister...or my daughter if I had one...how does it get ridiculous when the parents get involved?

Gold Trumpet

Even though Silence of the Lambs begins and ends through genre formula, it is my favorite because of how it presents the horror. Most horror films seem to be exercises in moods and tempos, yes, but brought along with that how to kill someone or show something terrible in the most effective way. Whatever the case, you are getting the end result of what the imagination by feeling the fear that Hannibal Lector has in all the possibilities of things he can do to you. In the film, he does absolutely nothing to the protaganist, Clarice Sterling, which is great because the imagination can bring so much more in possibilities of violence and such that can be never shown in movies. Hannibal Lector is my favorite bad guy in the movies, even if he was butchered in character in two movies afterwords. Hannibal was a throw away because it was an obvious removal of Lector's character into Jason mode. Red Dragon was for more dangerous in destroying the prestige he had in Silence because it made all the famous scenes in Silence up as farce, as routine scenes that could play in normal drama. In Dragon, all magic and terror with Hannibal is gone, though the actions remain the same. It reduced everything that was great about Silence into scenes of convenience for plot build up to other things. Fuck Brett Ratner. He is even more insulting than Jerry Bruckheimer ever could be.

~rougerum

budgie

I haven't seen The Last House on the Left, but your comments reminded me of The People Under The Stairs. Has anyone else ever seen that? Hilarious-horrible.

polkablues

Quote from: budgieI haven't seen The Last House on the Left, but your comments reminded me of The People Under The Stairs. Has anyone else ever seen that? Hilarious-horrible.

Yeah, that's another example of Wes Craven not knowing the difference between scary and goofy.

As far as horror movies I like, there's the "Hellraiser"s, "Candyman", the remake of "House on Haunted Hill", the not-remake of "The Vanishing", and "Event Horizon".  Despite the funny looks people give me, I love "Event Horizon".
My house, my rules, my coffee

Sleuth

Everyone's about named them all

Quote from: polkabluesDespite the funny looks people give me, I love "Event Horizon".

I like it too man
I like to hug dogs

RegularKarate

Ick... the Non-Thomas Anderson

Blasphemers

Candyman is good

I like some good zombie flicks

budgie

Quote from: MacGuffinInvasion of the Body Snatchers (original)

I like the '78 version too.

SubstanceD

What about Dawn of the DEAD!
Stubborn as a thousand born agains avoiding questions.

RegularKarate

Quote from: SubstanceDWhat about Dawn of the DEAD!

Quote from: RegularKarateI like some good zombie flicks

MacGuffin

De Laurentiis Developing The Lecter Variation

Screen Daily says that producer Dino De Laurentiis will be developing The Lecter Variation which is currently being plotted by Lecter's creator Thomas Harris.

The film, which is being subtitled "The Story Of Young Hannibal Lecter", follows the serial killer from his childhood in Lithuania through a period in Paris in his teens to his arrival in the US. De Laurentiis said that four actors will be required to play young Lecter at the ages of 12, 16, 20 and 25.

"Lecter was born into a very rich family but the war destroyed his family and killed his parents," explained De Laurentiis. "He was left with his sister with whom he had a very close relationship."

Universal, which handled international distribution on Hannibal and the world on Red Dragon for De Laurentiis, will again distribute The Lecter Variation.

Harris has written the story for the producer and is likely to write the screenplay himself as well as a book. The title refers to Bach's Goldberg Variations which have been a recurring musical reference in the Lecter saga to date.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ghostboy

You all should check out Bergman's 'The Virgin Spring,' which is the basis for Last House On The Left. Wes Craven basically took a beautiful and tragic story and turned it into an exploitation slasher movie. It's efective in some parts, but man, that last act really is cornball.

I remember Event Horizon scaring the crap out of me. It seems to have that effect on some people. Other than that, Paul Anderson's work has been rather excrable.