Jeremy Blackman

Worst Film: ROCK OF AGES

THE NOMINEES

Cosmopolis
The Dark Knight Rises
The Dictator
Rock of Ages

jenkins

not against whatevs, so only in the against category do i wanna say: the opening here is strong, the geography is compactly fancy, and there's a chill griffith park scene. i think it's too fun to be the worst movie from last year, and wasn't the worst movie i saw the day i saw it, but prob people wanted it to cruise into heaven. which it didn't. k

jenkins

tbh i wasn't sure who made it and looked the person up. i know what i gotta mention around this place:

Boogie Nights (choreographer)

and
Weekend at Bernie's II (choreographer)
and (wtf?)
Congo (choreographer)

k ;)

he's a hollywood gay type. lotsa hwood creds. i got no probs with him

ElPandaRoyal

Apart from Tom Cruise who was really funny, this has to be one of the most painful movie experiences I had in the past few years. The young leads were absolutely terrible in every possible way and when you have some comedic gay scenes between Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand that make you wanna cut your ears and eyes off, you know it's that bad.
Si

jenkins

this pained you? your life is pretty easy and you live a paradise. good job

polkablues

It's true, unless you live in a war-torn African country or are trapped in a mine somewhere, your life isn't arduous enough to be allowed to hate Rock of Ages.

Of course, even if that is your situation, watching Rock of Ages would still probably be the worst thing that happens to you that week. Adam Shankman could be tried for war crimes for directing that shit.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

a week thought -- matters of perspective are interesting. like i said, above, it's not the worst movie i saw on the day i saw it. talking about being in a theater during a day

i meant to avoid mines, but these turtles can fly. if it's your worst, it's your worst

polkablues

I was being facetious. But I found Rock of Ages pretty legitimately awful.

If I had my way, though, Beasts of the Southern Wild would have swept this. I'm always more offended by a film that aims high and misses so egregiously while still thinking that it nailed the target than a lowest-common-denominator movie like this.
My house, my rules, my coffee

jenkins

mmm, should i mention mine? trying to think of the movie that made me not want to be in the theater. but. nono, i'm going to google the weekend i saw this movie ...

on the same day, i saw this movie, abe lincoln vamp hunter, snow white and the huntsman, and brave. wtf, did i purposely travel through time via the movie theater and over a single day? what a daaaay. i won't mention the worst movie, you can probably guess

Jeremy Blackman

I would rather see this than watch 5 more minutes of Cosmopolis.

ElPandaRoyal

Abe Lincoln was also really bad, but Rock of Ages is on a level of its own.

All I'm gonna say about Cosmopolis is that I didn't particularly care for it (and I'm a huge Cronenberg fan) but at least I've been thinking a lot about what I saw from time to time. I wanna see it again badly.
Si

jenkins

why did you skip -- wait, i have to xixax search Best Magical Creature to Die in a Forest During a Fantasy Movie

i guess i have to watch this and dictator to form an unbiased opinion, but cosmopolis is the worst thing i have seen in a long time without being redeeming in literally any way.

classical gas

well, son of a bitch, i wanna watch these more than the best film nominees now.

modage

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on May 01, 2013, 04:12:18 PM
I would rather see this than watch 5 more minutes of Cosmopolis.

This x10000.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.