Alamo Drafthouse

Started by jenkins, April 10, 2013, 07:19:52 PM

jenkins

Quote from: RegularKarate on June 08, 2011, 10:22:54 AMDrafthouse
(sorry, thought the drafthouse had its own thread, trying to be topical and not random) today drafthouse announced its la arrival. downtown area, eight screens.

first i was uncertain why a city with so many indie theaters needs a new one, but then realized eight screens is pretty uncommon. a couple already have multi screens, but not each

... idk, i guess anyway, once it opens, the big deal will make obvs sense :) downtown kinda weird, pretty cool

RegularKarate

Trash, it will make sense. Drafthouse has its own thing going on as a theater for sure.
They've been expanding like crazy. Hopefully this one keeps the spirit alive.

Reel

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on April 10, 2013, 07:19:52 PM
today drafthouse announced its la arrival. downtown area, eight screens.

Alamo Drafthouse is like my Mecca...This is great news. COME TO NEW YORK!!!

make this into a Drafthouse thread IMMEDIATELY. Such an innapropriate title.

modage

Quote from: Reelist on April 11, 2013, 12:45:30 PM
Alamo Drafthouse is like my Mecca...This is great news. COME TO NEW YORK!!!

There are 3 opening in the NYC area in the next couple years.
http://drafthouse.com/blog/entry/the_drafthouse_announces_a_third_location_in_new_york
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jenkins

nyc link seems boring and quotes a critic i find boring, btw, but # of screens appears to be 7!

interesting the way they're doing this. of course i hope movie theaters are able to make themselves financially successful! so here's to that!

(glad for this thread :) )

polkablues

There's a theater north of Seattle called Cinebarre, that I think patterns themselves off the Alamo Drafthouse.  Cushy seats, food and drinks, they claim they'll kick people out for talking or texting, though I've never seen it happen.  My big fault with it is that because the servers have to be able to see where they're going, the lights are never dimmed as much as I'd like.  I like my theaters DARK.  If they could legally get away with not having lit-up EXIT signs, I would demand they be done away with.  Seeing a movie in the theater is all about immersion, and it's so much harder to achieve that immersion when you're overly aware of your surroundings.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Quote from: polkablues on April 11, 2013, 04:40:46 PM
I like my theaters DARK.  If they could legally get away with not having lit-up EXIT signs, I would demand they be done away with.  Seeing a movie in the theater is all about immersion, and it's so much harder to achieve that immersion when you're overly aware of your surroundings.

Tell me about it. When I saw Jurassic Park 3D I wished I had a hammer to bash in those exit signs.

RegularKarate

Quote from: trashculturemutantjunkie on April 11, 2013, 02:45:34 PM
nyc link seems boring and quotes a critic i find boring.

I don't know that press releases are ever not boring.
Devin Faraci on the other hand, is far from boring to me. Though, I like fun.

jenkins

i mostly like hearing people enjoy things i don't like :) good news! no response 'cause not arguing with you and don't wanna google link with other person :) wanna mention i'm obvs a huge fan of fun, mainly in movies and life :)

RegularKarate

Neil

i was starting to get worried. Thanks for clearing the air.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

jenkins

lol. prob was possible google link. just like, zzzzz. idk. we all cool though, good team thinking :)

polkablues

I like tcmj.  His posts make me feel like I'm solving a riddle.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilberfan

The Downtown Los Angeles Alamo Drafthouse is apparently opening this weekend--which felt like good news--but I had a disappointed reaction to this:

QuoteAlamo Drafthouse L.A. houses 12 theaters ranging from 40 to 63 seats...

The largest auditorium only has 63 seats??  In my book that's not really a movie theatre--just a fancy screening room.  To be fair, I've never done the Drafthouse thing--do they make up for the small auditoriums in other ways?

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-ca-mn-alamo-drafthouse-los-angeles-20190715-story.html

WorldForgot

Have you been to an Alamo Drafthouse cinema? They're dine-in and they've got servers walking around.
That's usually how many seats they've got, because each seat has a mini-table for eating beside it and there is AMPLE legroom. I'm talking, triple the leg room of any New Bev row.

Make sure to get there early, like 15/20min prior to showtime, their preshows are as good as the Bev'z.