iPhone Siri ad and the decline of an artist

Started by MacGuffin, July 24, 2012, 08:46:21 AM

Arnzilla

Quote from: theyarelegion on July 29, 2012, 09:10:53 PM
Quote from: Arnzilla on July 29, 2012, 05:46:32 PM
I haven't even mentioned that The Film Foundation also benefits from these sell-out adverts.

How so?
One example: When Scorsese partnered with Hennessey, they gave a quarter million to The Film Foundation

Quote from: BB on July 30, 2012, 12:06:38 AM
I think $3 million is what he got paid upfront for Gangs of New York alone. Lots of people at his age live through similar circumstances and don't have $3 million to lose. Unless he's secretly taken extreme measures to fuck up his assets, he's not doing ads because he's short on money. Mind also that he'd have a lot more money if so much of it didn't disappear up his nose through the 70s and 80s. Not that I have any problem with his habits (he made a lot of great films high), but, financially, it is what it is.
He didn't start making big money until 2002 with GONY, and he wound up giving back half his salary to cover budget overruns.

If a stranger walked up to you and said that you were making too much money, what would you think about that stranger's character?

InTylerWeTrust

It says at the end of the new "The Master" Trailer that the money recollected from the Special showing at the MusicBox theater will "Benefit THE FILM FOUNDATION".
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

polkablues

And I've made a charitable donation in your name to The Human Fund!

The Human Fund: Money for People
My house, my rules, my coffee

InTylerWeTrust

Everytime someone references Seinfeld... an angel gets its wings.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 15, 2012, 11:41:27 PM
Everytime someone references Seinfeld... an angel gets it's wings.

Every time someone uses an apostrophe incorrectly, an angel loses its wings.

Couldn't resist... sorry.

theyarelegion

Quote from: Arnzilla on August 15, 2012, 11:16:19 PM
One example: When Scorsese partnered with Hennessey, they gave a quarter million to The Film Foundation

You are getting your Foundations mixed up.

DETAILS: You're working with Hennessy. Why did you decide to appear in their advertisement?
Martin Scorsese: The Michael J. Fox Foundation—Hennessy is donating $250,000. The Foundation means a lot to me.

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: theyarelegion on August 16, 2012, 11:13:04 AM

Martin Scorsese: The Michael J. Fox Foundation—Hennessy is donating $250,000. The Foundation means a lot to me.[/i]

Little Fun Fact:   Michael J. Fox was the Cameraman for all the 'Bourne' movies...

Arnzilla

You are getting your Foundations mixed up.

DETAILS: You're working with Hennessy. Why did you decide to appear in their advertisement?
Martin Scorsese: The Michael J. Fox Foundation—Hennessy is donating $250,000. The Foundation means a lot to me.

Sorry, I got my cognacs mixed up, too. Scorsese also partnered with LOUIS XIII to help The Film Foundation.
QuoteLOUIS XIII and The Film Foundation are both known for upholding living histories and have a shared purpose of artistry and heritage. The collaboration will include a contribution from LOUIS XIII to The Film Foundation in support of the foundation's film preservation activities in 2012, as well as additional support and participation at exclusive Film Foundation events.

Sleepless

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 16, 2012, 11:21:07 AM

Martin Scorsese: The Michael J. Fox Foundation—Hennessy is donating $250,000. The Foundation means a lot to me.[/i]

Little Fun Fact:   Michael J. Fox was the Cameraman for all the 'Bourne' movies...

^ Your best contribution to the board so far. I LOLed  :bravo:
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

BB

Quote from: Arnzilla on August 15, 2012, 11:16:19 PM
He didn't start making big money until 2002 with GONY, and he wound up giving back half his salary to cover budget overruns.

If a stranger walked up to you and said that you were making too much money, what would you think about that stranger's character?

To be fair, I never said he was making too much money. All I said was that he wasn't struggling financially, which, unless he's screwed his affairs very badly, he isn't. Even if he had to return half of his $3 million dollar salary, he took home for one film more than many people make in a lifetime. He isn't doing these ads because he personally needs the money, that's all I was saying. I don't care if he makes a billion dollars per picture. If someone's willing and able to pay it, good on him.

To answer your question though, in my personal circumstances, I would probably think the stranger was poor. If I was making millions of dollars every few couple years, I would probably think the stranger was right.

Arnzilla

Quote from: BB on August 17, 2012, 11:49:49 PM
To answer your question though, in my personal circumstances, I would probably think the stranger was poor. If I was making millions of dollars every few couple years, I would probably think the stranger was right.
I asked you to describe the stranger's character, not his financial well-being.

theyarelegion

Arnzilla, why are you talking in hypotheticals and "what if..?" scenarios?

Arnzilla

theyarelegion

keanu calling marty out on his bullshit.....coming soon: "SILENCE 3D"