The Snowman

Started by MacGuffin, October 27, 2011, 11:06:04 PM

MacGuffin

Martin Scorsese circles 'The Snowman'
Director in early talks for Working Title's adaptation of mystery novel
Source: Variety

Martin Scorsese is looking to return to the sort of films that have defined his career, but with a chilly, Nordic twist: The helmer is in early talks to direct Working Title's adaptation of Jo Nesbo's bestselling mystery novel "The Snowman."

While no formal offer has been made, Scorsese has been circling the project for the last month while putting the finishing touches on Paramount's "Hugo." He recently began engaging with Working Title and is now seriously considering helming the project.

Matthew Michael Carnahan is in talks to adapt the Norwegian novel, the seventh entry in Nesbo's series about detective Harry Hole. Set in Oslo, "The Snowman" concerns a missing woman whose pink scarf is found wrapped around an ominous-looking snowman. Hole discovers that the crime may be the work of a serial killer.

Working Title's Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner will produce the pic, while Nesbo and Niclas Salomonsson will exec produce.

Nesbo's Harry Hole series has sold more than 5 million copies worldwide and offers franchise potential similar to that of Sony's "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," helmed by David Fincher. Elsewhere, Ridley Scott is attached to direct Sony's American adaptation of the British "Red Riding" serial killer trilogy.

Carnahan, whose past films include Peter Berg's "The Kingdom," Robert Redford's "Lions for Lambs" and Kevin Macdonald's "State of Play," is one of two scribes credited on Paramount's upcoming Brad Pitt starrer "World War Z."

Paramount will release Scorsese's "Hugo" on Nov. 23. Pic, which stars Asa Butterfield and Chloe Moretz, is aimed at a decidedly younger audience than "The Snowman."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reel

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 27, 2011, 11:06:04 PM
Martin Scorsese is looking to return to the sort of films that have defined his career

Then he should focus on making 'The Irishman'. Idk...sounds boring.

children with angels

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 27, 2011, 11:06:04 PM
The helmer

helming

helmed

Gaaaaaaaaahhh. I'm not sure why it annoys me quite so much, but it does. And "the helmer" is surely beyond the pale.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Just Withnail

Helming, breaking, catching. No one's MAKING movies no more I tell ya!

Pubrick

variety can go to helm!
under the paving stones.

Pwaybloe

No love for the Falcon?

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

MacGuffin

Martin Scorsese to Direct 'The Snowman' for Working Title
The "Hugo" helmer will return to the crime thriller genre in bringing Norwegian author Jo Nesbo's novel to the big screen.
Source: THR

COLOGNE, Germany – Norwegian author Jo Nesbo and Brit production company Working Title Films have confirmed that Martin Scorsese will direct the feature film adaptation of Nesbo's global bestseller The Snowman.

Scorsese had been circling the project for some time now but Nesbo had to give final approval for the director. He has done so, confirming to a Swedish newspaper that Scorsese will direct the first English-language adaptation of his work. Nesbo added that he would not insist Snowman be shot on location in Olso, where the book is set.

With Snowman, Scorsese will shift away from the family-friendly approach of Hugo to the crime thriller genre of his Oscar-winning The Departed. The novel features Norwegian detective Harry Hole, described as an anti-authoritarian, anti-sobriety cop, who investigates particularly gruesome killings. In Snowman, the seventh book in the Harry Hole franchise, a son finds his mother's pink scarf wrapped around the neck of a ominous looking snowman. Hole realizes she is the latest victim of a serial killer.

Screenwriter Matthew Michael Carnahan (World War Z), will pen the script to Snowman. Working Title's Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner will produce. Nesbo and his literary agent Niclas Salomonsson will receive executive producer credits.

Headhunters, a Norwegian adaptation of another Nesbo novel, has become one of the most successful films of all time for the territory. Mortem Tyldum's $5 million thriller, starring Aksel Hennie, has already earned close to $12 million from the Scandinavian box office alone.

Working Title was an early convert to the Scandinavian crime wave, tapping Swedish director Tomas Alfredsson (Let The Right One In) to helm its adaptation of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy starring Gary Oldman, Tom Hardy and Colin Firth.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks