NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL

Started by Robyn, August 28, 2011, 07:00:57 PM

Robyn

HOLY FUCKING MOTHER OF GOD WHAT IS THIS HOLY SHIT WHAT IS HAPPENING OMGOMGOMGOMGOM

A NEW NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL SITE
http://www.walkingwallofwords.com/

LOOK AT THIS FUCKING BOX SET:
http://walkingwallofwords.com/releases.html

- Two versions of "Little Birds", one a previously unreleased studio recording and one remastered version performed live in Athens, GA.
- Previously unreleased 10" featuring eight acoustic recordings (seven studio tracks heard here for the first time)
- Two early unreleased 4-track recordings, in some ways superior to the "Avery Island" versions.

etc, etc....

holy shit

tpfkabi

I know. Very shocking. Glad he's finally doing something. I wonder if his royalties started getting thin or if this means he will finally release another album. My true hope is that we'll actually hear something recorded/written AFTER Aeroplane.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Robyn

I don't think it's a money thing. I mean, this guy's think he's jesus. He wouln't do that!

Quote from: Mr MangumI realized that I wanted to take a deeper look at life in order to become kind of a truly healing force in people's everyday lives.

Anyway, I really hope we will get a new album or an EP or something now. That would be my most anticipated music related release ever. I mean, that would be the masterpiece he has worked on since Aeroplane! Can you imagine?

Quote from: tpfkabi on August 29, 2011, 10:46:32 AM
My true hope is that we'll actually hear something recorded/written AFTER Aeroplane.

Little Birds was written after Aeroplane I think. I don't think it will be a full band thing on the new recordings tho. It's probably just him with his enormous lungs and a guitar. But hey! I'm happy with that too.

tpfkabi

How has he earned a living since Aeroplane came out?

I think it has sold pretty well, but he has done little to no touring and I'm unaware of any endorsements - the 2 ways most indie artists make a living.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Jeremy Blackman

It constantly baffles me how artists continually squander opportunities like that (financially).

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Ravi

MacGuffin

Neutral Milk Hotel Reunite for Tour
Source: Pitchfork

Jeff Mangum has teased us with solo shows for long enough. Neutral Milk Hotel are actually, no-bullshit reuniting and heading out on tour in 2013-- 15 years after their last shows together. Only a handful have been announced so far, but apparently there is "more to come," according to the NMH website. Dates below.

Update: We have confirmed that this touring lineup will consist of Mangum, Scott Spillane, Julian Koster, and Jeremy Barnes, the lineup that came together following the release of On Avery Island in 1996.

Following the release of 1998's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and its subsequent support tour, Neutral Milk Hotel went on hiatus. Aside from a 2001 live album, a 2002 album of Bulgarian music, and a handful of live appearances, Jeff Mangum became indie rock's resident recluse for over a decade.

After playing a couple shows in 2010, Mangum fully resurfaced in 2011 and 2012 with several solo tours, a set for Occupy Wall Street, festival appearances, and a Neutral Milk Hotel box set.

A portion of the proceeds from ticket sales will go to the charity Children of the Blue Sky.

The tour announcement was accompanied by this crazy note on the NMH website:

and of water course womb rume is a wandering the welkin woman whose fune caul is all umbilical cord code that comes equipped with read volve vît curtains that čun seel my văl én tich radio reason in remembrance of mademoiselle gabrielle and her wone tym pad lock of burd language as it borders on twin tolk the wolk king wall of woolpack pigeons pointing to the fly blind readers riddle and his rian boh
Check out archival live video of Neutral Milk Hotel below the dates. Get excited.

Neutral Milk Hotel:

10-22 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club *
10-23 Athens, GA - 40 Watt Club #
10-25 Asheville, NC - Thomas Wolfe Auditorium #!
11-28 Taipei, Taiwan - Hostess Club Taipei
12-01 Tokyo, Japan - Hostess Club Weekender

* with Elf Power
# with Half Japanese
! with Daniel Johnston
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks