mystery science theater

Started by tpfkabi, April 12, 2003, 11:10:31 PM

tpfkabi

so you just now got it?
did you actually purchase Vol 7?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

72teeth

Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

Pwaybloe

Yeah, it worked for me too.  I feel awful about it, so I'm sending it back.  Rhino is a good company. 

squints

"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

tpfkabi

i forgot i even made this thread.
for some reason recently i thought about this show again and started to buy the dvd's.

unfortunately i missed some sets/single dvd's that already went OOP.

anyone got an extra Vol 9 or original 10 sitting around?  :yabbse-grin:

new set comes out tomorrow.

polkablues

Just got back from the Rifftrax Live event showing of "Manos: The Hands of Fate".  Watching this stuff with a big audience is an amazing experience.  Except for the 10-year-old kid behind me who clearly only got one tenth of the jokes, but laughed REALLY LOUD the rest of the time to compensate.  Fuck that kid.  But other than that, great.  They're doing "Birdemic" in October; I might have to go to that one, too.
My house, my rules, my coffee

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: polkablues on August 17, 2012, 12:58:24 AM
They're doing "Birdemic" in October; I might have to go to that one, too.

I didn't know what it was, so I looked it up.... Looks uh... pretty interesting, man.

HAHA sure to put Hitchcock's "The birds" to shame.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

tpfkabi

I went, too, and had a (laser)blast.
A couple years ago they did a similar thing to Plan 9 and I went. A lot more people turned up for Manos. I was surprised, because I'm unaware of any type of advertisement in the paper. While I was walking around the theater I did hear an ad for it over their radio, so maybe a lot of people found out that way.

I saw a story on Birdemic. The guy showed up at Sundance a couple years ago with a mini-van covered with hand drawn signs for the movie trying to promote it.

MST3K just put out Volume XXIV.

RegularKarate

has anyone seen the almost full MST3K cast shows that Cinematic Titanic is doing?

I saw Birdemic a few years ago at the Alamo Drafthouse. It was something like the second time the director had shown the movie with an audience and he assumed we were just laughing at the special effects.

tpfkabi

Yes, I saw them do Tiki Island in Dallas a couple years ago.
The sound was horrible. I don't know if it was because we sat up front or what, but we weren't able to understand most of the comments/riffs by the CT crew. I felt bad, because the 2 people I convinced to go seemed pissed at me like it was my fault.

Pubrick

Quote from: tpfkabi on August 18, 2012, 01:38:51 AM
I felt bad, because the 2 people I convinced to go seemed pissed at me like it was my fault.

Haha,  this is so bizarrely candid.

You know, I was going to give you "death" karma just out of principle, but this little anecdote has swayed me the opposite direction completely.  Keep up the socially awkward paranoid parrot weirdness, you're alright. :yabbse-thumbup:
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

The new iteration is up on Netflix as of today. And it's good! I'm 33 min into the first episode. As a casual fan, I would say it's just as good as it ever was.

Only major difference is that there are more jokes and a bit less breathing room. (Perhaps it has just changed with the times in that respect.) I might even call it super dense. You really have to pay attention to get some of the jokes and a few deep pulls from pop culture.

This serves as a pretty representative sample:

polkablues

The pace reminds me more of MST3K: The Movie than any of the old show episodes (probably not even as fast and dense as that). Jonah Ray is a bit of a charisma vacuum, but all in all it feels like the show it's supposed to be. I'm on board.
My house, my rules, my coffee