The Invention of Hugo Cabret

Started by MacGuffin, January 21, 2010, 08:37:24 PM

polkablues

According to a couple sites that posted the picture a few weeks ago, this is apparently the design of the robot the kid finds.  Very Metropolis.

"Show us on the automaton where Mr. Scorsese touched you."

My house, my rules, my coffee

Alexandro

This is gonna be a very odd movie.
Trying not to be cynic but it looks like it`s going to tank and be reviled for years, and then in 20 years is going to be an honorable failure like New York, New York...or on a more positive outcome it will be one of those oddball new generation of critics's darling like King of Comedy...

Hope I'm wrong, though.

Pubrick

Quote from: Alexandro on February 14, 2011, 03:19:44 PM
Trying not to be cynic but it looks like it`s going to tank and be reviled for years, and then in 20 years is going to be an honorable failure like New York, New York...

That would be an improvement on all of his recent output which will be reviled for a hundred years.
under the paving stones.

Gold Trumpet

polkablues

Ugh. The Invention of Hugo Cabret sounds like the title of a film classic that will be treasured for generations. Hugo sounds like the title of a loud kids movie about a boy and his imaginary friend that gets in trouble and farts a lot.

Gold Trumpet

polkablues

Looks like Scorcese's a bit of a Jean Pierre Jeunet fan.  I still hate the title change, but it looks great.

tpfkabi

I hope the soundtrack is not filled with songs like that.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

picolas

:yabbse-undecided: looks like it's a kids only sorta deal... i kind of want to see a mashup of that footage with the soundtrack to the trailer for shutter island though. might get on that.

Alexandro

this trailer is unreliable. looks like any other kids movie. yet those brief seconds within the melies studio hooked me.

pete

is the film not done yet and the trailer just relies on four or five scenes that have already been completed?
I can't imagine the bumbling policeman chasing this boy through the whole movie.
the cake gag was stupid.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pedro

Definitely seems like a kids-only affair.  I thought the trailer was unbearable. 

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: pete on July 16, 2011, 04:56:44 AM
the cake gag was stupid.

It reminds me of that one episode of The Simpsons where Homer finds out there is a crayon in his brain that's been shoved up there since he was a kid and that is what has made him stupid.

Then the crayon gets removed and he goes to a "common comedy" movie that is so insipid and stupid that he can't believe people like it.  At one point the Priest in the movie faints into a cake and a person walks up and says "I'll have what HE'S having!"

Scorsese is totally aiming for the ground floor on with this gag.

Alexandro

Hugo "Made For Cineastes" (from Hollywood-Elsewhere)

A guy who read my earlier Hugo post and who definitely writes well has conveyed the following: "I saw Martin Scorsese's Hugo at a Chicago test screening earlier this week. Some comments on your posted expectations":

1. "Scorsese's 3D work will be '50s-style, I'm expecting. Lots of House of Wax-y pop-out shots."

Chicago comment: "Not at all. Lots of wide-angle and tracking shots. In fact, there's one tracking shot in the opening 10 minutes that outdoes the Copa shot in Goodfellas in terms of sheer technical razzle-dazzle -- it follows Hugo across and around catwalks, down a ladder, around a spiral slide, through walls, etc. It doesn't have the same narrative effect as the Copa shot, but it left my jaw the floor.

"The most consistently impressive aspect of the 3D is actually the particulate matter Scorsese adds to all the shots in the train station -- amber-hued dust, snow, steam, etc.

"Also, much of the aesthetic is rooted in the wide proscenium framings of silent cinema. This makes a lot of narrative sense once the 'secret' of the film is revealed.

2. 'And it may be a highly satisfying film in this or that way, but this is one of Scorsese's experiments.'

Chicago comment: "Nope. I actually think it may be his most 'personal' film since...I don't know? Without spoiling too much, all the people who know Scorsese are going to be writing about how this is really about him and Thelma Schoonmacher rediscovering Michael Powell in the 70s and their efforts to restore his reputation. I shit you not -- the last act is all about the importance of film preservation. That's before you throw in all the stuff about an outcast kid who watches the world from his window (i.e., Scorsese growing up), trying to avoid getting hit by the local enforcement (Sasha Baron Cohen = the mob), etc.

"Does it work? To a point. Before I saw it, I was willing to write this off as an experiment as well, but it's obvious Scorsese put some heart and soul into this. But you're right -- 'heart' isn't really in Scorsese's wheelhouse. He tries to go full-Spielberg here, but he just doesn't get there. I realize I just made you barf."

3. 'Scorsese doesn't do kid-friendly or family-friendly.'

Chicago comment: "You're right. But, contrary to the trailer's portrayal, this isn't really a kid movie. Frankly, I think kids'll be bored with it. It's a movie made for cineastes.

"The kids are fine (Asa Butterfield is a little stilted), but the showcase performance here is Ben Kingsley's.

"It makes sense they're screening this early. If they try to sell this directly to families, it's going to tank. They really need to get the erudite snobs talking about this one -- unfortunately, The Artist may have the stolen the old-school cineaste cache this might have had."