i wanna post something amazing but..

Started by Pubrick, January 20, 2010, 11:37:33 AM

Pubrick

thanks for the feedback everyone, some of these ideas are very encouraging. others not so much, but that's cool.

maybe i should hav been clearer, i havn't written anything postable yet -- the reason was always ambivalence about what format to do it in, considering i quit the board for two years and will probably leave again if i'm to have a rich fulfilling life, it didn't seem worth the effort.

- absolutely couldn't do a youtube clip cos i don't like the sound of my voice THAT much. and i couldn't maintain a hilarious character like the dude with the phantom menace did (excellent link picolbug).

- the blog format is the most obvious and flexible, but i think in the end i think i will just post it here in shambles like pas described, text and pics with compromises in the length and depth of analysis. the great thing about this format is it offers plenty of flexibility in the STYLE of writing, tho not so much in the kind of media i could employ. maybe a combination, using this to iron out my ideas and then post them (for no reason at all other than it seems a bit more "mine") on a blog that no one will read.

that's all fine with me cos i don't think i could possibly be more thorough than the excellent analyses already out there by freaks like Rob Ager (the irish dude pic mentioned) and the dude who was seated at the right hand of kubrick and then got demoted after proving himself to be a right douche. -- actually that last one is perfect example of why the format matters and how the ppl who silently praise you in one place could turn out to be inadvertent destroyers of your mind in another. we broke that dude's brain!

a small rant right now cos my brain juice is flowing: a simple correlation occurs to me: in cases where long posts are ignored, and it could be said equally for extremely well thought out analyses on websites/blogs etc, the cause is not complexity in itself, but simply that at some point the reader has retreated to a state of awe at the effort taken by the author and a kind incomprehensibility at the MAKING of it, while not attempting to bypass all that and simply think about the points, lucid as they may be. this strikes me as blatantly similar to the reaction most ppl hav to great analysable works themselves. it seems that a truly significant interepretation must contain an element of painstaking exhaustiveness, and that the closer a reader gets to the truth of a work in developing their analysis the more he ceases to be a reader and become a creator himself. a great analysis could never be BORING, if done right there is no way it possibly could be.

so with that in mind i'll think things over for a few more weeks (the wendy defence), as i take care of some fairly mindless tasks in the real world.. also i'll try to think of a blog name.
under the paving stones.

I Love a Magician

plog

edit: i don't know how they handle submissions or whatever, but you might try the house next door

Pozer

i like the plog idea. Pubrick could catch on. albeit, klog could work too.

Quote from: ρ on January 21, 2010, 11:20:17 AM
- the blog format is the most obvious and flexible, but i think in the end i think i will just post it here in shambles like pas described, text and pics with compromises in the length and depth of analysis. the great thing about this format is it offers plenty of flexibility in the STYLE of writing, tho not so much in the kind of media i could employ. maybe a combination, using this to iron out my ideas and then post them (for no reason at all other than it seems a bit more "mine") on a blog that no one will read.

hope you do this. there is a certain unique rhythm to your reviews/ analysisis that i'm pretty sure most here dont skip over. it's catchy (wow im waxing ur board). but honestly, your long, thoughtout posts dont come off as some dude sitting there with his synonym book while clacking out his little big ideas like some of the longies i skip over do (not namely here, btw, talkin blogs too).

and in terms of this place: at least there's plenty of rich thought and worthy eyes on this board compared to most others out there where the task wouldnt be a waste.  

Convael

I don't post here often/am not well known so take this with a grain of salt but why don't you find someone you can trust, whether it's someone you know in person or someone that you reallllllly trust on these boards, and have them read it out loud and post it on youtube?  Write some kinda script/format something for them to read.  You'd never have to see their face. 

It could get featured on a lot of film blogs and that sort of thing, and does it really matter whose voice it is?  Just make sure that your name is listed as the author and maybe even copyright what you write.  I only say this because, as someone definitely said before, you'd get so much more exposure from people watching a video rather than reading...it's definitely the best way to reach an audience.  Plus you never know what could come out of it in the future.  I've also (surprisingly) read some of the best discussions about films in the comments sections of blogs and sometimes youtube (yes, seriously) after one of these types of videos.  I don't know why, but that's what I've experienced.

I don't know if there's something very dumb in what I've said, I just don't think that the voice matters too much and from what I've read you saying on these boards (the thing about pt anderson's movies you posted recently) I would really like to read/hear what you have to say, and I think that you could get some notice for it.

Neil

P, you're definitely funny, and really i know what you mean, and we may suffer from similar problems in this dept.

Namely though, i think it just boils down to doing.  Like someone said, if you get that itch, you have to do.  Watch it, show it to a couple peeps, revise, perfect, etc.  I know you're probably like "oh, this fuckin' guy"

But honestly.  Do it, You have quite a following here, and those people are involved in a type of community that can take things to cult like status. I'm not trying to be scary, but i mean, an underground powerful voice of reason will work, in regards to good (or terrible) film making.

To articulate and have something well put together (kinda going with the youtube idea) you could do some damage. 

So, to answer one of you first questions.  There is no specific place that an idea dies on the internet.  The internet enables things to last a very long time.  You have to make something first before you can get ripped off.  It's not difficult to avoid that situation all together either, you can print out the forms online and fill them out yourself.

JUST DO!
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.