The Official Twin Peaks Thread (TOTPT)

Started by NEON MERCURY, July 15, 2003, 03:29:03 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Haha, yes. True. I think we've reached a compromise.

samsong

can't beleive i forgot dekalog...

we're differentiating tv and miniseries now?!?!

Quote from: samsong on December 07, 2017, 03:04:36 AMdoesn't listing a season of tv as a film inherently acknowledge its accomplishment as a tv series? . . . twin peaks: the return will be at the top of my best films of 2017 list, as it was the best work of image and sound to be released this year

the first bit was purely a counterpoint to your argument that putting it on a best films list "denies its accomplishments" as a tv show.  the bit about the leftovers was me being facetious.  i had hoped the shruggy guy implied that clearly enough. 

my only real dog in this fight is "who gives a shit?"  we're all on the same page about the ways in which tv and film are different, its just a matter of being okay (or not, apparently) with other people putting a tv show on their year-end film list... i don't really buy your "protect film" stance.  how offen does this happen that a line needs to be drawn? 

Drenk

Nobody gives a shit. But it is silly. It is as silly as putting a short story as the best novel of the year. "But it's really well written and special and that writer has written a lot of novels!". Well? It doesn't matter because as Jenkins said we all know it is a TV show and it won't change anything. There is some disdain in it, too. It shows how embarrassed some movie critics are at loving a TV Show. It can only be noble art if it is cinema. That will probably die away soon. I mean, Les Cahiers did three covers in a few months about The Return. They wrote about it. They can write about TV too even if it's rare. Great cinematic work is being done in different mediums. That kind of Top is not serious in itself, but it is a sign that there is a tendency to refuse that fact. Which I find weird.

Cinema in itself isn't better than a TV Show. The Return showed us that. And I don't think that you can define a TV Show only as able to do more like you said, JB. I find the argument: "But you can do more than a movie because you have more hours" is absurd. You can also say that a TV Show can do less than a movie because it's shorter. It's not that. It's entirely factual. The mediums are different. More. Less. Whatever. It doesn't matter. We stay in a conflict between movies and TV...

We fear that TV is taking the place of cinema. I worry about that, too. I don't think that a great director of movies can make a great TV Show. A great novelist might not be able to write a great short story. An art form often dominates another: look, nobody gives a shit about short stories, the novel is the respected art form these days in literature. I hope we could escape these symbolics forms of domination. In literature: more people read novels than short stories or poetry, right? Even I...But these days while cinema stays what's respected the most, TV Shows are massively watched. That's why some people are trying to say: "TV is what good now!" Which is also an idiotic way to think...

That's amazing that a new cinematic medium truly became cinematic. Watching The Return, I was amazed at what TV could do. And not in a "oh, TV can be cinematic" way! I knew that. It was more about the work can...work. You can often watch The Return as a meta commentary about TV series. Yeah, Lynch, don't bullshit me about making a 18 hours movie when you clearly know what you are doing...

That Top—silly in itself, not deserving shits to give—is nonetheless a sign of what's happening nowadays concerning the...what? cinematic world? camera world? le monde des Lumières?
Ascension.

jenkins

i thought that was a really great post, Drenk. only to inflate the complications of this discussion, i will say that last year Bob Dylan won the Nobel and no one feared that music was replacing literature. and in 2013 Alice Munro the short story writer won the Nobel. but i don't think that takes the conversation in a new direction, i just mentioned it.

BB

More than this particular instance, I'm curious to see how future generations will feel about it. In thirty years, will anybody see a significant difference between movies and TV? Or movies, TV, and web video? Are vlogs short films (I think yes?) or something else? I've seen plays where they film the shit and project it on a screen. Is that cinema, television, theatre? Saw one where it was a projection of webcam footage online from laptops onstage and off. What about Coppola's live TV thing? It's hard to say if these are new forms or not.

Quote from: jenkins on December 07, 2017, 06:37:21 PM
no one feared that music was replacing literature

No, but they've forever feared that TV was replacing literature. We should stop fearing these things.

jenkins

things get harder and sadder as you age, if you let them. the transitory nature of cultural objects--which feel so important to us now--that's a rabbit hole that leads into existentialism and the root of the problem, you know. my god, this whole time the problem was inside us, every fucking time man.

tv and movies and vlogs are visual arts. and from what i hear, primates are visual creatures. so they have a real advantage and that's a separate category. textual art, writing, words, that's not for all primates. it's for humans. it's for our goddamn advanced consciousnesses, okay. like i said, separate category.

in our contemporary reality the fear of literature is computers, both in terms of its effect upon readerly desires, and all the smart people preferring to study computers now. but first of all the robots are going to take over and that'll be their bad. second of all oh art will never die let's be serious.

Sleepless

KM got a nod from Golden Globes and that's it.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Something Spanish

Question: does The Return work best if you've seen ALL of Season 2 or just until Ep. 14 when the killer is revealed?

Drenk

Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

Wally, who appears for one scene, is a reference to James in late season 2, but otherwise you're fine.

The finale is essential viewing though, along with FWWM.

Something Spanish

thank, gents. i'll see you in 25 years.

samsong

Drenk

I hear a lot that Lynch doesn't direct his actors. It's not true.

Ascension.

Jeremy Blackman

That was fantastic. Watch the way he precisely shapes Tom Sizemore's performance. Great stuff. I think it's also true that some actors need more Lynch coaching than others.

axxonn

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on December 26, 2017, 04:21:11 PM
That was fantastic. Watch the way he precisely shapes Tom Sizemore's performance. Great stuff. I think it's also true that some actors need more Lynch coaching than others.

And Naomi Watts actively asks for the "coaching" - if you watch the bonus feature segment with her scenes at the insurance office you can see Lynch basically talking her all the way through the performance.