What are we reading?

Started by edison, September 21, 2003, 11:20:03 PM

Pubrick

on the bus, train, in bed, when u've seen all the movies u want for one day.

between 9pm and midnite usually.
under the paving stones.

SoNowThen

While taking a dump, once a day, everyday. Not kidding. You gotta sit there anyway, why not read? I apply this to bus trips as well, but there's something to be said about the advanced concentration you can devote to a book when you are allowed to totally loosen your bowels.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

El Duderino

i read while crapping, but it's usually magazines.....perhaps the tide has turned and i will now start books. or book on tape
Did I just get cock-blocked by Bob Saget?

Slick Shoes

I usually have to devote all my concentration towards the matter at hand. A friend of mine, though, he read War and Peace in its entirety on the pot. It took him a couple of years, but still.

godardian

Newspapers and magazines on the toilet.

"Serious" books on the bus/train. I'll also get into bed early so as to have time to read last thing before going to sleep.

Before my shedule got so hectic recently, I was taking a few hours a few nights a week to go to the graduate reading room at the University of Washington- vast space, total enforced silence, perfect place to just absorb yourself in a book.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Pedro

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Lullaby - Chuck Palahniuk
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

grand theft sparrow

Ghostboy

Madam Bovary - Flaubert

Devil In The White City - Erik Larson

coffeebeetle

This is on hilarious read.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

godardian

Oh, I LOVE Music for Torching!! I actually went to see Homes read from it. She's a very funny person; her sardonic humor matches mine very closely. Great choice. Perfect novel for any Strangers with Candy fans here.

Me:

Selected Non-Fictions - Borges
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

coffeebeetle

Yeah, her style of humor just seeps through the page, doesn't it?   :)
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Gloria

The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath

Thrindle

^

COINCIDENCE!

I JUST FINISHED THIS YESTERDAY!!! NICE WORK!!!
Classic.

Ghostboy

I finished The Bell Jar last month (a copy with that very same copy). It appealed to the teenage girl in me. Objectively, it was good, although too clearly a mostly autobiographical first novel. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it's a shame Plath didn't live long enough to progress as a prose writer as well as a poet (although supposedly did write another novel, but burned it). Of course, had she not killed herself, The Bell Jar would lack the fatalist edge it seems to have.

I'm currently finishing Madame Bovary, which is great, and beginning (finally) Down And Dirty Pictures, although with markedly less enthusiasm than I had when I began Easy Riders, Raging Bulls.

Devil In The White City, by the way, is an enormously enlightening and fascinating read. I highly suggest picking it up if you're in the mood for some historical nonfiction.