Portishead....

Started by NEON MERCURY, October 19, 2003, 09:56:04 PM

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: a.santi on November 23, 2009, 11:37:55 AM
The band have very strict guidelines governing the recording and writing process of their work. The music was recorded live in one room with no overdubs or repair, only using edits to create arrangements. All tracks were written over a twelve-day session in SOA Studio's, Bristol.

Stuff like this is cool when it just happens, but when they're self imposed parameters, it comes off as more of a gimmick. Which in turn doesn't really heighten the material unless you know about it beforehand.  It still sounds like an interesting experiment, regardless.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Neil

I think this is the way music was recorded for ages, right?  and you DO NOT need to know how a record was recorded to enjoy it.

I guess you would prefer them not to tell you how it was recorded, or the approach they took?

Where does the gimmick come into play?  Would a person would say here, "hey man, i just picked up this new record, and see here's what they did; the band recorded all the sound live, and only added in arrangements in later."  Sounds like a huge gimmick move.  It's music, and it's an approach.  

A gimmick would be like the band in the bubble  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Band_in_a_Bubble

i'm a little scared to sound like bigideas here, but "thinking in terms of a musician" this isn't gimmicky (to me), this is the talented approach. Today we are blessed with pro tools, logic, and programs like melodyne which would allow you to easily make a project like this, and have it sound immaculate.  Not to mention EVERY SINGLE NOTE would have been doctored for perfection, because we have that possibility now.  Also, you can't really call these parameters, because this is the way people record their music when they want a more organic sound, it's not a limitation, or guideline, it used to be THE WAY to record...It's basically saying, 'Let's not record digital, let's record in analogue."  Even though i can't be sure  whether or not they used digital or whatever, you get my point.

making the knowledge known that someone was Creating those sounds live (although it's nothing short of flloyd and they were into overdubs etc) is no gimmick, it's a very very difficult task, and if you've ever tried, or witnessed, in the studio recording, you'll find these results as well, I'm certain of it.

What i meant to say, yeah dude, i totally agree.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Thank you for censoring your own outburst.

I don't know if you did it because you realize that we DO agree or if you retracted it as some kind of... I don't even know what.  What the hell happened?

I'm not mad at a band for recording an album however they want, but they refer to it as "strict guidelines" as if they wouldn't allow themselves to use other equipment or do overdubs.  To me, that says gimmick. 

Gimmick isn't by definition a bad thing, but it is unnecessary.  I love bands that record albums live, but if you have the opportunity to fine tune it in the production phase, why would you force yourself to ignore it?  I mean, if it's in your sound to streamline a performance, that's cool.  If you're forcing yourself to do it, then you're limiting yourself.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Stefen

Neil is the most under appreciated poster on this site.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Neil

Censoring my "outburst?" Who the fuck are you? it's clear you didn't even read it in the 1st place.  I was simply commenting on the fact that it is pretty fucking silly to assume an artist is limiting him or her self because they choose not to participate in the latest technological achievement.

Gimmick, in this sense, is a device to attract people to your product.  If you're inclined to listen to talented people making music then yes i guess it is a gimmick.  The "strict guideline" is to not take the easy way out and tweak it in post production.   it's only limiting yourself as an artist, if you fail to get your point across, or whatever. and in this case it's to capture the sounds live.  Whether or not you like it, or you think it would or could be done better, is a whole other topic. Artistic intentions is what we're talking about, and if you want to look at some silly interview to gather your input, so be it. Just don't expect me to be that naive.

I'm not trying to discuss the term gimmick and whether or not it's a  "good" or "bad" thing. I'm telling you that when Music is played live it has character.  That's the simple artistic approach.  If you were to walk into a professional studio you would be faced with "strict guidelines" on how great sound is achieved in this day and age, and those standard practices involve individual instrument tracking (in many cases) and other various techniques. Just because you have the ability to go in and "tweak"  shit, as you say, doesn't mean we have to, or should for that matter.  That limits you as a real musician, because you can afford the opportunity to say.  "ahhh, that sucks, oh well i can go in a tweak it or pitch correct it later." 

Bob Dylan had/has specific guidelines, and personally i love 80-90% of his music.  This is the reason he now chooses to produce his own shit, is because he wants a specific thing, and he is sick of debating with others about how he wants his art to be.  I know for a good ten album run Dylan's "strict guidelines" didn't limit himself. That whole time he was recording, there were sitars around, and Indian psychedelic music around, along with the capability of turning your guitar sound backwards while phasing it, and adding overdubs on top of all these post production tricks you speak of, so why didn't he use the stuff, if it was available is what I'm getting from your statement.

I'm not really here to say whether or not a band is "limiting themselves" because i find that to be a concept i can't wrap my mind around. Probably because i'm not in the band, and don't know them personally.  They're playing whatever instruments they want, and if you personally want them to add more sound, i guess don't listen to it.

Every band that has recorded music in the last 20 years (probably longer) has had the opportunity of pitch correction, and note overdubs, etc.  This doesn't make it necessary to use. I'm not really sure what you're trying to debate.  The reason music has headed downhill a lot is because people take advantage of this opportunity, and talent isn't as necessary as it used to be;
Quote from: Walrus on November 28, 2009, 10:47:29 PM
I love bands that record albums live, but if you have the opportunity to fine tune it in the production phase, why would you force yourself to ignore it?

Personally I'm not talented enough as these folks, so all of these technological luxuries work for me, and i'll use them, so it's not like i'm anti this or that.  I know squints or big ideas will back me up.  You don't have to be talented to sound amazing these days, as weird and nonsensical as it sounds.  So this is what i was speaking About.    If woody guthrie and cisco houston can be captured and have the impact that it does, then the idea of playing your music live, and not manipulating it is not a gimmick, it's actually art in its truest form.  You have the opportunity to take whichever road you like.

Quote from: Stefen on November 29, 2009, 01:34:12 AM
Neil is the most under appreciated poster on this site.

It's basically like the annoying kid at school or where ever.  Ignore him, and he'll go away.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Whoa.

First off, I'm not sure how what else to say other than "censoring your own outburst" since you put a strikethrough through a long post.  What else should I refer to it as?  You clearly want me to read it, but you make it annoying to do and on top of that, it's all a fine and valid set of points.  So I have no idea what you attempted to construe to me by putting that there, hiding it and then agreeing with me.  Were you being passive aggressive or did I miss some layer of internet satire?

Look, for all intents and purposes, I haven't disagree with you at all.  I don't know why you're going into this much detail about all this.  To me, it is a gimmick because they're all producers who can use all kinds of high end stuff and are forcing themselves to use lesser equipment.  Lesser equipment does have its charm, and has a different range of tonality, and I can respect that.

I record music, too.  I don't tout being a musician, but I have a four track and I practice on guitar and bass in my spare time.  I can relate to the things you're saying.  I don't mean to agitate the entire process of music recording, I'm quite fond of it.  Too much polishing and overdubbing can just smooth the life out of the track, I totally agree.

My whole thing is this:  if you record some amazing first tracks, and the warmth and life and presence is somehow captured, then sell it as what it is and that's fine.  If your plan going in is to take the first cuts, skip over dubs, what have you, then to me, it reads as limiting or sort of making the assumption that the session will be a total success.

Lo-fi to me is a low budget sound that's acceptable, but also has its own heart built in with a DIY vibe, more intimacy.  It's fine if you want to replicate it, but that's what sticks out to me.  You're replicating it, so to me, it seems like a gimmick. 

But I guess production is just as much of an instrument as the performance itself. So if the production type chosen is lo-fi equipment, then it's a legitimate non-gimmick decision.

Neil

Agreed, sorry for making all of that so unnecessarily angst-y.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Sometimes discussions get out of hand in threads about bands with head in the title.

a.santi

Portishead sign to Amnesty

Portishead are releasing a brand new track, - "Chase the tear" for Amnesty International.

It will be available as an exclusive download single from 7 digital http://www.7digital.com/portisheadamnesty from December 10th with all earnings going towards Amnesty's human rights work and all rights given to the organisation indefinitely.

A video of Portishead performing ''Chase the Tear'' will also be available from 10 December at: http://www.amnesty.org.uk/portishead and at http://www.portishead.co.uk

International human rights day (10 December) marks the anniversary of the United Nation's historic "Universal Declaration Of Human Rights" on 10 December 1948. The UDHR set out for the first time in a single document the fundamental rights to which everyone, everywhere is entitled - including the right to life, liberty, security, the freedoms of opinion, association and expression, and the right not to be subjected to torture or cruel, inhumane and degrading treatment.

For more information: http://www.amnesty.org.uk/udhr

Neil

Quote from: w a  l   r    u     s on December 01, 2009, 01:04:06 AM
Sometimes discussions get out of hand in threads about bands with head in the title.

and sometimes....they turn into.....a BLACK HOLE! *GASP*

What will become of our lives?

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I'm not against talking artistic integrity in any thread, be it Portishead, Radiohead, etc.

I'm just against unnecessarily shifting into argument mode and having to decode your last post.

Neil

trust me bro, i don't really give a damn about the things i say, and that wasn't aimed at you.

I'm here to learn. 

pete

why are people so mean to neil.  I like neil.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I have no direct beef with Neil, his posts are just very cryptic.

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks