What's a good movie to see that i haven't heard of?

Started by Crash, May 03, 2003, 10:54:14 PM

RegularKarate

Yeah... thanks ... the couch bit was a joke... thought you had listened to the commentary in which he says that someone asked if it was a film about a sofa.

I would watch this film again... I admitted I wasn't in the mood for it... though I didn't need to listen to the commentary to guide me through it, but thanks for suggesting that I did.

I watched it and got very disintrested very fast (no matter how duplicitous it is), but giving it another chance, I watched part of the commentary later that night and found that not adding anything to the experience, so I stopped it and shipped it back.

So, maybe I'll see it again some time in the future to give it another shot, but I could never see this being nearly as good as Magnolia.

godardian

You know, it's always a fine line between patronizing and informative... but please believe I am (almost) always trying for the latter...  :roll:
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

godardian

Also, another one along the lines of Safe some may not have seen: Nic Roeg's Walkabout. It gives me a similar feeling to Safe, and I believe them both to be about a very similar subject. They are quite different movies, though.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.