Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, January 15, 2004, 01:01:29 PM

MacGuffin

'Star Wars' Spinoff Hires 'Godzilla' Director Gareth Edwards (Exclusive)
Gary Whitta is writing the script for the movie, which is set for release on Dec. 16, 2016.
Source: THR

Fresh off the success of Godzilla, filmmaker Gareth Edwards has lined up his next project, something set in a galaxy far, far away.

Edwards is attached to direct one of the Star Wars spinoff films, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Gary Whitta (Book of Eli) is writing the script for the movie, which has a release date set for December 16, 2016, said Disney and Lucasfilm in a statement later posted on the official Star Wars website.

Due to the high level of secrecy surrounding the Star Wars development process, it is unclear which spinoff Edwards will tackle.

Speculation has focused on characters such as bounty hunter Boba Fett and Jedi master Yoda as those who might be getting their own movies. There are also rumors of a potential Han Solo origin story or at least something on the Solo clan, and untold adventures of Luke Skywalker.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life - join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited & honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards in a statement release after THR broke the news.

Earlier in May, Disney CEO Bob Iger stated that there was a plan to make at least three spinoff movies that would be released in between the main installments.

It has been reported that Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are writing and producing the spinoffs.

The Star Wars project marks an amazing career trajectory for Edwards, who went from making a small creature feature for $500,000, 2010's Monsters, to getting the assignment to take on Godzilla, a monster in need of a 21st century rehabilitation.

The mission was a success, with the Legendary/Warner Bros. movie overperforming when it opened last weekend, grossing $93.1 million. The movie also received strong critical reviews and plenty of fanboy love.

"Gareth's filmmaking talent makes him one of his generation's most creative and visionary directors," said Legendary Entertainment's chairman and CEO Thomas Tull in a statement in response to the Star Wars hire. "The plan has always been for Gareth to direct a different film before we started on another Godzilla, but who knew it would a Star Wars installment? We have a great plan in store for Godzilla fans and I am looking forward to seeing Gareth's imprint on the Star Wars universe."

WME-repped Edwards is attached to direct Godzilla 2 and 3, but while story ideas exist, the Godzilla 2 project is still in early development and does not even have a script.

That frees up Edwards to be part of what is not only one of the biggest franchises in history, but also a project that is a dream for so many filmmakers who grew up loving and being inspired by the storied George Lucas universe.

Star Wars: Episode VII, with J.J. Abrams directing, just began production in Abu Dhabi. The film is set to hit theaters on Dec. 18, 2015.

Disney and Lucasfilm had no comment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Lottery

http://imgur.com/a/aeNUU

Super secret and possibly-spoilerific (but not really) set photos.

Tortuga

Looks like the movie will be set in a hippie commune on Tatooine. Star Peace?

Lottery

Just can't let go of Tatooine. Luke will probably abduct his niece and force her to learn Jedi stuff there.

Lupita Nyong'o has also apparently joined the cast. With John Boyega, the rule of one is broken.

Drenk

RIAN JOHNSON TO WRITE AND DIRECT STAR WARS EPISODE 8 AND 9! (MAYBE HE WON'T DIRECT 9, THOUGH.)

SOURCE : THE INTERNET. ALL THE INTERNET.
Ascension.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Episode 8 is going to be the bottle episode where they're locked in a trash compactor with a persistent fly.

polkablues

I just hope at least one of the movies is written entirely in iambic pentameter.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Lottery

Godammit, they're doing this all wrong. Star Wars should be made by Brad Bird and Pixar friends.

MacGuffin

'Star Wars Episode VII' Is Filming In 2D IMAX; Will Be Converted to 3D
Source: /Film

We thought it might be true, but Twitter and IMAX have now made it official. J.J. Abrams is shooting Star Wars Episode VII in IMAX. See the proof below.

Here's the tweet in question:

http://t.co/fs6JcTALmZ

Not convinced? We emailed an IMAX rep, who said the following: "All we can say at this point is that we can confirm that JJ Abrams is using the IMAX camera for Star Wars: Episode VII." They also confirmed it is shooting film. So while Abrams made a big deal of shooting Episode VII in 35mm, he's going even bigger too: 70mm IMAX.

Pajiba also added that Abrams is shooting the film on three, 65mm 2D IMAX cameras. (There are only four in the world and the other is being used for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice). After that, it'll be converted to 3D just like Abrams did on his last film Star Trek Into Darkness.

This isn't really a big surprise. A few months ago, IMAX announced that  Episode VII was being released in IMAX. But that didn't mean it was being shot in IMAX. These days, almost every big film gets an IMAX release, but only one or two a year are actually shot in the format. We can now confirm Episode VII will be shot and released in IMAX.

Again, Abrams shot his last movie, Star Trek into Darkness, partially in IMAX with about 50 minutes shifting aspect ratios to the larger format. He then converted it into 3D. Since IMAX wouldn't confirm more than that, we can only assume the same will be happen here. Most of the film would have a classic 2:35 to 1 aspect ratio, and bigger scenes would expand to a full, square, IMAX screen.

Could it possibly be the full movie? Who knows. All we do know is this. Come December 18, 2015 the best way to see Star Wars Episode VII will be in an IMAX theater.

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Star Wars: Episode VII' Title Revealed
Source: Variety

The title of J.J. Abrams' upcoming "Star Wars: Episode VII" has officially been given a name: "Star Wars: The Force Awakens."

The tweet also announced that the highly anticipated tentpole from Disney and Lucasfilm has completed principal photography.

Abrams is directing the pic that stars John Boyega, Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley with Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher also reprising their roles.

Disney chief Bob Iger has said that "The Force Awakens" will be set 30 years after 1983′s "Return of the Jedi" and will feature new and familiar faces.

"Star Wars: The Force Awakens" is set to hit theaters Dec. 18, 2015.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

"The Force Awakens" sounds like the name of a meme. Not the best.

Drenk

You've seen it? Does it contain a lot of footage or is it just mainly blackness with loud voices announcing something that almost the whole world knows is coming?
Ascension.