neil young - rust never sleeps...

Started by moonshiner, February 26, 2003, 11:10:47 PM

moonshiner

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/newsarticle.asp?nid=18171&cf=229

the gist of the article is that the concept of the album is going to be very anti-war with the central theme being about conservation of the environment....movie sounds like it's going to be crazy with frequent appearances by the devil(unfortunately i don't think they were able to get Christopher Walken), being that it's coming packaged with the cd i don't think it'll be very long and will be quite low budget.

jokerspath what are the supposed bonus tracks you've heard from On the Beach?
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

moonshiner

and Pas Rapport the album was recorded with the Crazy Horse, so you're definitely not going to get his Harvest/Harvest Moon/Silver and Gold stuff...but we could get something like Rust Never Sleeps  :o ...although we wouldn't be talking about this if not for Neil's utter unpredictability.
the rumble of the train trails off to infinity, a place where no one goes anymore

JC, no not that one

Pas

This is awesome news ! Thanks Moonshiner

NEON MERCURY

Neil Young=pure genius

the rust never sleeps dvd is magic..... awesome stuff  and i liked mirrorballl the niel/PJ combo can't be bad...song x is  sweet....

Favorite songs by Neil Young
when you dance i can really love
hey hey my my
rock'n in the free world
cowgirl in the sand
the loner
down by the river
sugar mountain
broken arrow
i am a child
old man
after the gold rush
.........................................man...way too many tolist he is simply amazing
:yabbse-thumbup:

jokerspath

Quote from: moonshinerjokerspath what are the supposed bonus tracks you've heard from On the Beach?

Oh, sorry.  Didn't mean to imply that the upcoming OTB release will have bonus tracks.  

Whoever made the bootleg put on 8 extra songs, versions of songs like Campaigner and Pocohantas that I've never heard, along with a few others that I really dig (they have titles and stuff, but I forgot to look when I was home last night).  I'm sure any Neil Young freak would know where these come from or something and if they're like rare or readily available, but I'm just happy to have them...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

moonshiner

oh, i got ya....and you're right if you listed the tracks, i'd be all, no that's from....but that's cool.....i'm really anxious about Greendale, i was a little let down by Are You Passionate, very forgettable.

JC, no not that one

moonshiner

update on the dvd to come packaged with Greendale, it's going to be a concert dvd with him performing the Greendale set, from what i've read these Greendale introductory shows have featured a lot of explanation of what the story is behind the music, he has released new tour dates and the shows are going to bring back shades of the rock opera, Who style...the full length movie i spoke of before will be released later on in the year, on dvd.

JC, no not that one

ShanghaiOrange

"Hey Hey My My" is one of the best songs ever. :(
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

moonshiner

yes, that is one of his classics........i can list many more but won't

JC, no not that one

moonshiner

http://www.rollingstone.com/features/featuregen.asp?pid=1906&cf=229

decent neil young interview on rollingstone, has some interesting things to say about Bush, pop culture, the copyright lawsuits, and about his new album....he really seems to have his head on straight about these things

"Bush makes Clinton look like sandpaper, that's how slippery he is...."

One more day 'til Greendale....

JC, no not that one

Sigur Rós

I've got the Rust concert on DVD. Go buy it!

Weak2ndAct

Was scrolling through the pages to make sure I wasn't going to double post about another topic, but when I saw a "Rust Never Sleeps" page, I had to chime in this insane story (dunno if anyone's heard this or not, apologies in advance):

Okay.  Swear to God, I'm not making this up, though the story itself might be as 'questionable' as it's narrator, but it's still pretty amusing anyway.  The person who told me this was Kimmy Robertson (Lucy the secretary from "Twin Peaks").  She's an... interesting character to say the least.  Her story: Back in the day, before Devo really took off, Mark Mothersbaugh lived in an apartment building that his parents owned in Akron, OH.  In exchange for free rent, he was the building's super/handyman.  He took such pride in the job, he would wear a worn jumpsuit and an ape mask whenever he had to make the rounds.  Neil Young came through town on tour, and visited the building because Mark's brother (name escapes me) invented a electric drum set of sorts and wanted to check it out.  The group was hanging out and playing music when at 3AM, Mark got a call because someone was having problems with their pipes and wanted them fixed.  Neil said to blow it off and stay, why go now?  Wait 'till the morning.  Mark threw on the jumpsuit and ape mask and said... "Rust Never Sleeps."

As I said, pretty outlandish.  I'd like to believe it's true.  Kimmy insisted it was b/c she knew Mothersbaugh, so who knows.  But there you have it.

EDIT: Grammar and nonsense.

moonshiner

Devo is credited for coining the phrase in Neil Young's biography....i don't believe the book i read went into detail, but the story sounds legit enough

JC, no not that one

Weak2ndAct

Wow, so she might actually be telling the truth!  I was pretty suspicious, but the story was so detailed and goofy, I couldn't resist sharing.

MacGuffin

Neil Young Recovering From Brain Aneurysm

NEW YORK - Neil Young was treated for a brain aneurysm this week and remains hospitalized, although doctors expect a full recovery, his publicist said Friday.

The 59-year-old rocker underwent a procedure to treat it Tuesday night at a New York hospital, where he was expected to remain for a few more days, publicist Bob Merlis told The Associated Press.

Dr. Pierre Gobin, who performed the procedure with another doctor, said: "Mr. Young had a dangerous brain aneurysm and was treated successfully by the minimally invasive neuroradiology team here. He is now resting comfortably ... but we strongly recommend that he not travel for several days."

Young had been expected to perform Sunday at the Juno Awards — the Canadian equivalent of the Grammys.

"I'm really disappointed that I won't be able to make it to Winnipeg for the Junos as I had hoped. I grew up there and was really looking forward to the show as well as spending some time with my old friends and family," Young said. "Thanks to my doctors, I'm feeling a lot better now so I hope I can get a rain check."

The aneurysm was discovered when Young's vision became blurry after attending the March 14 induction ceremonies for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Merlis said. An examination by a neurologist detected the aneurysm and the procedure was scheduled.

The veteran rocker is expected to resume normal activities soon. But for now, Merlis said, "He's got to take it easy."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks