Henry Fool

Started by godardian, December 09, 2003, 05:21:46 PM

godardian

My favorite Hartley finally on DVD, here.

""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

RegularKarate

This is actually the ONLY Hartley film I've seen... I thought it was great.

Ghostboy

Man, this movie is great. Glad it's finally out...I haven't seen it since it was in theaters.

The only other Hartley film I've seen was Book Of Life, a short about the end of the world starring (among others) PJ Harvey as Mary Magdalene. It's pretty funny.

Ravi

I didn't like Henry Fool.  It's been a while since I saw it, but I remember it not having much of a point.  The noisy diarrhea scene was gross and stupid.

RegularKarate

Quote from: RaviThe noisy diarrhea scene was gross and stupid.

but that scene was "Scatological"

MacGuffin

Never did get around to seeing this film, but I really like Hartley's "Flirt".
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: GhostboyMan, this movie is great. Glad it's finally out...I haven't seen it since it was in theaters.

The only other Hartley film I've seen was Book Of Life, a short about the end of the world starring (among others) PJ Harvey as Mary Magdalene. It's pretty funny.

I've seen that one and The Unbelievable Truth? I would love to see Amateur and, especially, Simple Men. Am awaiting DVDs.

Hartley and Harvey are good friends, apparently. He directed the video for a single called "Crawl Home" just released under the group name "Desert Sessions," featuring Harvey and members of Queens of the Stone Age. Harvey sings on it, the Queens sing and play. The video has no lip-syncing; it stars Harvey and Josh Groban and has endless variations on a lover's spat in a car as the song plays on the soundtrack. The video matches the tune in editing, I suppose; there's no indication that the two "characters" have any knowledge they're in a music video.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gold Trumpet

I saw this a while back and remembered liking it, but I'd really have to see it again.

I remember a few years back I was traveling through Brazil and checking out Blockbuster to see how things were like there. All in all, mostly the same in the United States. The thing that caught my eye is that Henry Fool had just as many copies (if not more) in the new release section than any major blockbuster. That was a nice surprise.

SoNowThen

Love this flick.

....glad it's cheap, too. Time of year... wallet hurting... need to steal...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

Yes. I wish there was a way to steal from Amazon.

I've got that Desert Sessions DVD, Godardian. It's got some good stuff on it. A nice bit of filler while we wait for her next album.