Most entertaining

Started by kotte, October 08, 2003, 07:24:55 AM

kotte

Which one is the more entertaining one? Not better but entertaining.

Derek237

Magnolia, I guess. Every 5 minutes there's always some new part of a character's story to follow.

Redlum

Maybe I'm confusing 'entertaining' with 'captivating' but it's still Magnolia. I think you could start at any point in the film and just be hooked.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

snaporaz

coffeebeetle

As far as feel-good, leaving the movie with a smile feeling, Ocean's Eleven.  Let's face it, Magnolia is fucking brilliant but it's a heavy movie.
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

Find Your Magali

I see where you're trying to go with this poll, I think, but I'm still taking Magnolia.

There are scenes in Magnolia that are just as funny and "entertaining" as anything in Ocean's Eleven:

-- Jim & Marcie's scene with the closet
-- Jim & Claudia's coffee scene
-- anything with Luis Guzman
-- Donnie asking Solomon Solomon for money
-- Phil ordering groceries and some "reading material"
-- etc., etc.

Plus, part of me will never forgive Ocean's Eleven for not being nearly the fun romp that Out of Sight was. I like OE, but it tries too hard in some places and feels too perfunctory in others.

Sanjuro

magnolia because its more my type of film.
though oceans eleven was supposed to be a really fun film, i didnt find it hlaf as entertaining as when it started to rain frogs in magnolia
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

kotte

Quote from: coffeebeetleAs far as feel-good, leaving the movie with a smile feeling, Ocean's Eleven.  Let's face it, Magnolia is fucking brilliant but it's a heavy movie.

That's what I was try to get at. Magnolia is the better film, there's nothing else to it but is it as entertaining as Ocean's Eleven?

Yiou made your point.

Quote from: snaporazthis thread sucks

I'm glad you took the time to write that...I'm also glad you bring all the shining joy to this place. Overwhelmed.

Sigur Rós

Quote from: snaporazthis thread sucks.

Indeed. We aren't what we use to be.

TheVoiceOfNick

OE was more entertaining overall, though Magnolia certainly did have its entertaining points... Of course, OE sucked monkey nuts, and Magnolia was the best thing since sliced bread, so there is no accounting for taste when it comes to pure entertainment.

godardian

It depends on what you define as "entertaining," really. Most people seem to mean "escapist" when they say "entertaining," in which case Ocean's Eleven obviously fits the bill.

However, I took "entertaining" at face value and chose Magnolia.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Sleuth

Quote from: Sigur
Quote from: snaporazthis thread sucks.

Indeed. We aren't what we use to be.

No, I like this thread.  You don't have to answer it if you don't want to, but it's a good thing to think about
I like to hug dogs

Vile5

Magnolia
i could fall asleep watching OE, (sorry, i didn't liked it) but i didn't because my cousin was next to me saying "que guapo, que guapo, que guapo!" (what a hot guy, what a hot guy, what a hot guy!) every time George Clooney appeared on the screen  :|
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

AK

Quote from: coffeebeetleAs far as feel-good, leaving the movie with a smile feeling, Ocean's Eleven.  Let's face it, Magnolia is fucking brilliant but it's a heavy movie.

I LEFT MAGNOLIA WITH A SMILE FEELING (AND A SMILE IN THE FACE...QUITE AS CLAUDIA ONE)

ElPandaRoyal

I think this is interesting. Personally, I can't separate quality from entertainment. So I chose Magnolia. Yes, Ocean's Eleven is a very light, very funny film, but I think Magnolia is more challenging and it moves us, which, in a way, is also entertainment.
Si