best movie ever made

Started by Sanjuro, October 07, 2003, 09:11:01 AM

Sanjuro

hi this is one of my first posts, but i have been lurking since the pta board.( i think i may have even posted a few messages back then)
this place used to be purely for information only (theres so much to learn here seriously) but now i guess ill start sharing my opinion on things.

anways,
what do you think is the best movie ever made? i mean if you had to pick one, and just one (not a list of your favorite movies). the movie that you think is the most well made ever even though it didnt really strike you personally and is not even one of your favorites.
mine is Ran by kurosawa (it is one of my favorites too)
although kurosawa is not my favorite director of all time, i think he is the best that ever lived.
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

ShanghaiOrange

Batman: The Movie or Citizen Kane
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

SoNowThen

hmm, well, I propose to be the first of many: Magnolia. No contest.

But I think the best director who ever lived was Godard.

Whadda ya gonna do?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Sigur Rós

This thread is a bad Dejavu.

Best film ever would be Boogie Nights

ElPandaRoyal

No, it would be either Manhattan or Taxi Driver... but which?...
Si

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ShanghaiOrange

How's about Manhattan Taxi Driver: the story of a 42 year old taxi driver whose many neuroses and love affairs lead him to violently murder Diane Keaton.

Last five films (video)

Find Your Magali

Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeHow's about Manhattan Taxi Driver: the story of a 42 year old taxi driver whose many neuroses and love affairs lead him to violently murder Diane Keaton.

Excellent!

Jack Black can play his wacky sidekick.

molly

I hate when I have to pick just one.  8)

SoNowThen

Strange, I just noticed the similarities in both movies:

in New York
underage love interest
regular love interest
neurotic man

doesn't succeed with the older one, so rushes off at the end to be with/save the younger one...

hmmmm

ShanghaiOrange

They were both made around the same time ALSO.

Last five films (video)

modage

Quote from: molly
Quote from: Find Your Magali
Quote from: ShanghaiOrangeHow's about Manhattan Taxi Driver: the story of a 42 year old taxi driver whose many neuroses and love affairs lead him to violently murder Diane Keaton.

Excellent!

Jack Black can play his wacky sidekick.
I hate when I have to pick just one.  8)

just one wacky sidekick?  okay, well how about Jack Black AND Owen Wilson?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

TheVoiceOfNick

Since "best" is really a subjective term, I say "Plan 9 From Outer Space"

coffeebeetle

Yes, riding this subjectivity, my answer would have to be Manos Hands of Fate.... :P
more than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. one path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. the other, to total extinction. let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.
woody allen (side effects - 1980)

ElPandaRoyal

QuoteStrange, I just noticed the similarities in both movies:

in New York
underage love interest
regular love interest
neurotic man

doesn't succeed with the older one, so rushes off at the end to be with/save the younger one...

hmmmm

Exactly. I often compare these movies. Not many tend to agree with me, but I always thought there were some similarities. But I think they all come from the the first point of your comparisons: New York... and the effects that living in a big city can do to a man.
Si