Why Hollywood is that boring??

Started by Vile5, September 26, 2003, 04:32:03 PM

cine

Quote from: RaviMaybe you find Hollywood boring because they try to make their films appeal to as many people in as many cultures as possible.  With say, a Japanese film, the filmmakers aren't necessarily trying to appeal to audiences in Norway, so it is a unique experience to watch it.  Does this idea hold water or is it a bunch of hooey?

Ah, but I feel foreign films appeal to more cultures because they aren't Americanized and a whole helluva lot of them are based around human topics/themes. These are therefore universal films. As we know, many Japanese films have been hailed as "too Japanese" (see: Ozu, Kurosawa) but in fact they can move any audience because of what they're ABOUT. So.. Japanese filmmakers may not try to appeal to Norwegians, but I'm sure they'd enjoy an Asian film or a European film before an American one.

Vile5

Quote from: CinephileAh, but I feel foreign films appeal to more cultures because they aren't Americanized and a whole helluva lot of them are based around human topics/themes. These are therefore universal films. As we know, many Japanese films have been hailed as "too Japanese" (see: Ozu, Kurosawa) but in fact they can move any audience because of what they're ABOUT. So.. Japanese filmmakers may not try to appeal to Norwegians...
Exactly!!

i don't say make a movie for all kind of audience is bad, i say the way how Hollywood treat its audence is...
and Japanese films for example (not all of course) are not made just to make money, they want to make: a movie! you know, playing with the atmosphere, with characters, with great actors, with the construction of the script, with an interesting story, with no conventionalism etc etc, what make viewers feel interested for the movie anyway, the public is not always expecting for a Hollywood Ending...
btw make money with a movie is great! but you must to justify that box office success, especially if that you is a big studio...

but i know it won't happen in Hollywood, well i mean, not soon
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

Ravi

It is hard for me to believe that only Hollywood is out to make money.  Making a film is expensive, so the movie industries in any country will try to make a profit.  Sure, we often get good films from other countries here in the US, but we're missing out on the crap.

NEON MERCURY

..I generally like H$llyw$$d ..This is how i break it down NEON MERCURY style..

1.0  there are hollywood films that suck
2.0  there are hollywood films that do not suck
3.0  there are non-hollywood films that suck
4.0  there are non-hollywood films that do not suck
5.0  there are foreign films that suck
6.0  there are foreign films that do not suck
7.0  there are silent films that suck
8.0  there are silent films that do not suck
9.0  all of the films directed/written by larry clark and harmony korine suck

picolas

NEON MERCURY

your av is wild ..it makes my eyes do the same damn thing..so i have cover the monitor w/my left hand..