flip/flops

Started by Derek, August 31, 2003, 06:01:50 PM

Derek

What movies have you either loved or hated and have since come to change your mind 180 degrees about?

For me, recently, it would probably have to be Requiem for a Dream. Back in 2000, I thought after seeing this that it was really the birth of a new period of movies, more visceral than anything I had seen before..but since then, after seeing it on dvd the things that grabbed me the first time around (esp. hip-hop montage) have lost their repeat veiwing power. Also, I think the film's lack of humor (drug movies can allow for it, even a little bit) bothers me a bit. This is a bit of a ramble, I still love the cinematography and score (which is one of the best in years) make it a worthwhile venture.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Cecil

hmm. i dont think i have any. any movie i loved when i was younger is still at least okay even today.

MrBurgerKing

I had a complete 180 degree change with the Wendys' chicken nuggets. I once ordered a pack and thought it was horrid. One of the pieces had a chunk of fat on it, and there just wasn't enough chicken on it. Just a dissapointing experience, especially coming from Wendys. Then, less than a year later, I was watching TV and saw that they were now only selling for 99 cents. I thought what the hell, might as well try it again, 99 cents is nothing (despite what Mike Piazza says). It was brilliant, magnificant. This time it was the perfect group of chicken nuggets. What a difference the barbecue sauce makes. Next time someone tells me to take up a religion, i'll point them towards Wendys.

NEON MERCURY

....um... this is a tuff one actually...i thought at first box of moonlight was bad but this film REALLY grew on me and i am currently looking for the dvd i know there's one out there w/ a comm. track also included....

Quote from: Derek..but since then, after seeing it on dvd the things that grabbed me the first around (esp. the hip-hop- montage) have lost their repeat viewing power.

...man i am the  total opposite..of all the dvds i hav ethis one NEVER gets old and holds up  repeatedly for me ..

Find Your Magali

The only thing I can come up with is "The Natural." And only partially.

There was a time when this was my favorite sports movie. The glorious soundtrack. The baseball sequences. The delightful Wilford Brimley and Richard Farnsworth.

But I rarely watch it now, because I simply loath the scenes with Kim Basinger and Darren McGavin. They're so slow, poorly written and poorly acted, with no subtlety whatsoever. Everything just comes to a crashing halt.

So what we really need is a 90-minute version of this film that completely removes the Basinger romantic subplot and all the most necessary details of the corrupt owner subplot. Make it a damn baseball film.

Ravi

I used to love Robin Hood:  Men in Tights, but I watched it again about a year ago and I hated it.

Gloria

I have to say The Last Unicorn.  I loved this movie when I was a kid, but I watched it a few weeks ago and ended up disliking it.  I was bummed out.

QuoteI used to love Robin Hood: Men in Tights, but I watched it again about a year ago and I hated it.

I still laugh my ass off when they sing the theme song. Mel Brooks is hilarious.

Alethia

i didn't like bringing out the dead when i saw it upon it's initial release in 99, i have since bought it just to have it and i now have a deep respect for that film

Weak2ndAct

The closest thing I usually get to a 180: when I get so friggin' obessesed and hyped about a movie waaaaaay before it comes out and then my craziness results in diminished expectations-- I then shake that off on second viewings.

The one real 180 in my life: George Washington.  And that's only b/c I went to school with Green and was so blinded by jealousy that I went nuts and decreed it senseless crap.  2 years later, I watched the dvd and changed my tune real quick.

EDIT: Bad grammar, oops.

Pas

I used to love Clerks. I was giving it to everyone I knew and was saying :"Watch this, best movie ever man !" ... now I like it but nothing more. I was like 14-15, that might explain it.

Just Withnail

180? How bout a 360? As a kid I used to adore Back to the Future. Then I found myself in the midst of a period when everything that didn't have decapitation, gutting and gore all over were, well, crap. Thankfully that changed as I got past puberty, and I'm now back to loving it again. In fact, it's one of my all time favorites. Funny stuff, that mindchanging business.

SoNowThen

Alphaville and Femme Fatale were my two biggest 180's of recent memory. I went from hating them to absolutely loving them upon 2nd viewing.

Tommy Boy was the opposite. I used to laugh so hard at that flick, then I bought it last Christmas and watched it... and laughed twice. Same for What About Bob.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.