Her Smell

Started by Alethia, October 01, 2018, 09:33:15 AM

Alethia

Fuzzy Dunlop

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/04/her-smell-interview-alex-ross-perry-elisabeth-moss-1202057901/?fbclid=IwAR3Bwz5LLfpTSHYGbnD8JL6m0sokL_tH98QlEBOLzD9Hcdn5mc-pa69QB2c

"By bringing 30 or 40 people together on a film like this,I could test my theory that I can do things easier, more efficiently, and with better results than other people, and that I can give my crew a better experience in the process," he said. "I could show that my team can put work on screen at a budget level that other people can't dream of, and that everyone can have a good time doing it and do work they're proud of and walk away not feeling like it was just a job. I'm certain I'm right about this."

wilberfan

This is the paragraph that certainly raised one of my eyebrows:

QuoteWhen Robert Greene first looked at the raw footage his longtime friend and collaborator Alex Ross Perry had brought him from the set of "Her Smell," a familiar feeling began to bubble up in the editing room: They were about to make the greatest goddamn movie of all time. Greene, Perry's regular editor, laughed at the way they characterized it at the time: "'People are gonna compare this to "Boogie Nights," but when we're done, people are gonna forget how to even say the words 'Boogie' and 'Nights.' We're gonna erase that shit from history because of what we're doing!'"

Alethia

Lol he does go on to describe that feeling morph as it crashes down on top of them come opening day, when audience enthusiasm doesn't quite measure up.

Alethia

Saw this again at Nitehawk yesterday and it played even better than I remember. Give Moss her Oscar right now - don't even wait til next year, just overnight the fucker. Perry was there to answer questions afterward, moderated by Blank Check hosts Griffin and David (and Producer Ben, the Benducer, the Fuck Master, the Fart Detective, Say Bennything...) which was great fun. Perry pointed out a Revenge of the Sith joke that was slyly inserted into the film, among other anecdotal nuggets.

Something Spanish

i just got turned on to blank check this past week, binging like crazy, can't stop listening, fucking addicted and i hate it, it's cutting into obligatory duty time...also look forward to the day her smell makes its way down here

Alethia

Blow through the whole Spielberg series first! (Their AI episode is  my favorite).

Something Spanish

Will do. I blew through the majority of Burton in the span of about a week and a half. Also heard two episodes with Alex Ross Perry. Griffin and David are fucking hilarious, incredibly entertaining. Ok, now back to Her Smell...

Alethia

They post extra episodes on their Patreon, fyi...

jenkins

oh i saw this but i didn't need to. that's not to piss anyone off it's just what happened. it's a more positive movie from a cynical person, i'll appreciate that. i most liked the sequence when she was getting over herself and everything felt sad but hopeful, she played this song on a piano

Something Spanish

been raving about this one for the past 24 hours (mostly to myself), it's just such a good movie, taking you down a fetid rabbit hole, coming out the other end to gain a wider perspective. the obvious narrative structure is 2015's Steve Jobs, the movie consisting of a few long segments, only Her Smell has an actual character arc. went in not knowing much other than moss is the front of an all-girl rock band, so glad it went to all the places it went to. loved all the indulgences, the drawn out depravity, the ensemble feel, the music, the rabid nature of it all. fucking loved Becky's reaction when she first lays her on on the Akergirls, completely the opposite of what I was expecting. moss is a fucking whirlwind of psychosis, didn't think she had it in her to sustain this level of instability. the more i ruminate on it, the more affection i feel for all the indulgences and epic attitudes. thought it would all be like the first three acts, like Climax, all one note, but the pivot taken in the fourth and fifth segments tore me apart.
Spoiler: ShowHide
had one of those pta happiest sad endings

another one i'm glad to have seen on a big screen. read Perry's review of Neon Demon recently, where he underlines the significance of watching stuff in a movie theater as opposed to streaming, his spiel being a swift kick to my caboose in getting me to make the effort to not wait for streaming, even if the wait is literally a few weeks, unlike the months it would take 15-20 years ago before you can pay per view or dvd it.

jenkins

Quote from: Something Spanish on April 30, 2019, 11:54:15 AM
had one of those pta happiest sad endings

it's not a spoiler bc it's bullshit act natural. Something Spanish a true player but you gotta qualify comments these days jk AND serious it's funny enough bc it's not actually important, you're just too fucking serious if you are

let us, say, compare Her Smell to Boogie Nights, which was done by the people who created this film, and quoted here. but let us be philosophical, and not reward superficial similarities.

it would be as if you actually saw Dirk perform again

learning the lesson is the easy part--feeling it as an audience member, picturing it, is the most thrilling, and the crucial part of the imaginative faculty

this movie is not above a 5/10 and that's a rational thought

putneyswipe

This had one good scene and it involved Bryan Adams. This script needed more drafts, or just something more to reach the emotional climax it desperately wanted. I don't think insulating from a wider audience is helping the american indie scene. The kind of people who seek these movies out end up liking them and perpetuating a culture of mediocrity. That's the only way I can explain the critical adoration of Perry.

jenkins

it's weird because intellectually speaking one knows that internal frustrations suffocate full perspectives. but the internally frustrated intellectual always seeks redemption through theory. it tires me

Axolotl

So ARP continues to suck immense amounts of ass. Hasn't made anything worth watching since the color wheel, and I don't have to watch this movie be able to say that. Unearned and unrewarding self-consciousness and shallow pretense towards erudition, probably the only director I actively dislike and hate seeing become successful.