Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

trytotell

Find Your Magali

Obviously, we don't know a ton about the plot, but it's not immediately obvious where Leo fits in as the must-have piece in an ensemble high school drama. Though he's now at the point where he could easily play the father of an 18-year-old involved in the Hollywood scene. Has Leo ever really played a parent? Could be a juicy opportunity for him to graduate to that kind of role, an interesting new dynamic. He's been on the "son" end of the equation a lot, but not dad.

His schedule is PACKED, though.

pynchonikon

Quote from: Find Your Magali on December 28, 2019, 09:10:22 PM
Has Leo ever really played a parent?

He did in Shutter Island and Wolf of Wall Street and the Revenant, it didn't turn out very well for the kids in all three cases lol.

I think the real question is, could Leo (or someone with the same stardom as him) discuss for a role similar to Tom Cruise in Magnolia? (I'm not talking about the nature of the character, but about the screentime and the role within the story, being the big star of the movie but at the same time a single piece of a bigger whole).

polkablues

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on December 29, 2019, 12:17:56 AM
Quote from: Find Your Magali on December 28, 2019, 09:10:22 PM
Has Leo ever really played a parent?

He did in Shutter Island and Wolf of Wall Street and the Revenant, it didn't turn out very well for the kids in all three cases lol.

Revolutionary Road, you guys.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Something Spanish

doesn't kate winslet kill her self and their unborn baby in that movie?

Robyn

you are thinking about titanic and no they crashed

jenkins

sounds like mildred pierce crossed with little children and labor day, to me

trytotell

Since she's been brought up, he has said quite a few times that he wanted to work with Winslet.

RudyBlatnoyd

Tom Hanks could be a possibility too. PTA has said he wants to work with him, plus he's shooting Baz Luhrmann's Elvis biopic at the start of 2020, so it might be him that the shooting is being postponed to accommodate.

I could see Hanks playing a teacher or film industry figure.

pynchonikon

PTA was indeed praising Hanks back in January of '18. I'm not crazy about him, but objectively that would be HUGE.

BB

Bro, what? You don't like Hanks?

jenkins

he's just not a very badass or surprising teacher choice

BB

RudyBlatnoyd

Hanks reciprocated the praise, too. I think he's a great, great actor. The man managed to sell the loss of a volleyball as an emotionally devastating experience. Or the scene where he finally breaks down in Captain Phillips at the end. Or his effortless mix of physical comedy and James Stewart in Bridge of Spies, where I actually think he outshone Mark Rylance even though the latter got all the praise at the time...

Anyway, I'd be excited to see him take on a PTA character. He's basically a character actor who happens to also be a massive movie star.

jenkins

again because it's a high school movie i really think the attention is being focused in the wrong direction and production wasn't delayed for tom hanks