Licorice Pizza - Speculation & General Reactions

Started by Fuzzy Dunlop, August 30, 2017, 12:58:10 PM

trytotell

I think Pitt is rumored for Chazelle's new film, which is scheduled to film around the same time. It's not confirmed yet, though.

Alethia

Freddie Dodd

Quote from: WorldForgot on December 19, 2019, 02:55:37 PM
Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on December 19, 2019, 01:09:05 PM
Could a cast of A-listers help the whole thing in that way (like in OUATIH)?

I know that PTA has it in him to make another Boogie Nights-lvl bop, but it doesn't seem like he's been interested in OUATIH/Tarantino type of mainstream engagement for a while.

His most star-studded cast, Inherent Vice, has been his most dense.

Boogie Nights/Magnolia were similarly star-studded, though in retrospectively as much of that cast weren't stars yet like Philip Seymour Hoffman. Anderson has made clear from interviews he's shred away from the kinetic stylization of his earlier films, mainly just thinking this was all boisterous and stand-off to a fault. I'm not sure he'll get much big names, if there is anyone in the upcoming cast that has credible name recognition. I think Anderson will stick to a primarily young up and comer cast that hasn't established their presence in the industry.

Alethia

Quote from: Freddie Dodd on December 19, 2019, 04:22:44 PM
Anderson has made clear from interviews he's shred away from the kinetic stylization of his earlier films, mainly just thinking this was all boisterous and stand-off to a fault.

I'm not convinced he's shied away from it as a general rule (unless he literally said that in which case my bad), just whatever approach he feels tells the story best. Hard Eight is as sedate as Master or IV - Phantom Thread felt like a stylistic blend of his earlier and more recent approaches - some sequences veering toward the Kinetic, others more locked off.

trytotell

Quote from: Freddie Dodd on December 19, 2019, 04:22:44 PM
Quote from: WorldForgot on December 19, 2019, 02:55:37 PM
Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on December 19, 2019, 01:09:05 PM
Could a cast of A-listers help the whole thing in that way (like in OUATIH)?

I know that PTA has it in him to make another Boogie Nights-lvl bop, but it doesn't seem like he's been interested in OUATIH/Tarantino type of mainstream engagement for a while.

His most star-studded cast, Inherent Vice, has been his most dense.

Boogie Nights/Magnolia were similarly star-studded, though in retrospectively as much of that cast weren't stars yet like Philip Seymour Hoffman. Anderson has made clear from interviews he's shred away from the kinetic stylization of his earlier films, mainly just thinking this was all boisterous and stand-off to a fault. I'm not sure he'll get much big names, if there is anyone in the upcoming cast that has credible name recognition. I think Anderson will stick to a primarily young up and comer cast that hasn't established their presence in the industry.

It's said to be an ensemble, so I'm sure they'll be some names even if it's a smaller role. He's never made a film without at least one big name (SLJ was already big when he did Hard Eight).

itwasgood

Quote from: Pynchonikos1994 on December 19, 2019, 03:26:43 AM
There are whispers here and there (nothing certain or confirmed) that the small filming delay happened in order to accommodate to some schedules. We'll wait and see.
Ugh, if it's true, this very much could be Timothee Chalamet, couldn't it?
Chalamet is going to do a play in London which runs from April to late May.

Tdog

What's wrong with Chalamet?

Drenk

After Call Me, he's been quite awful, trying too hard, but PTA always pushes actors to their A game...

(I really don't like Shasta in IV but she nails her long monologue.)
Ascension.

polkablues

Chalamet's one of those actors where you can always see the actor acting underneath the character. He's a talented kid, and he's got a ton of potential, but he always feels a bit in over his head to me, especially when he's alongside a really effortless actor like Saoirse Ronan.
My house, my rules, my coffee

pynchonikon

There is no reason for an argument concerning Timmy's acting abilities (I'm not impressed by his post-CMBYN choices, but I think he would nail it, no matter how big role he was given, in a PTA film). I would be happy to see him participating in this (maybe not as a high-schooler), but the possibility of his involvement depends clearly on when the cameras are actually starting to shoot. The latest report is a bit undefined, the "Spring/Summer" thing could mean from late March or early April till June, but it could also mean from late May till August as well (Phantom Thread apparently lasted from late January to late April). There isn't even an expected release date yet. PT was always aiming for late 2017, which was formally confirmed in late March by Focus at Cinema Con. Could they, by then, make the whole thing clearer this time as well? I guess quite possibly.

polkablues

PTA made Mark Wahlberg look like a great actor, and was the first person to see what Adam Sandler was capable of, so I'm not going to be too skeptical of whoever he decides to cast.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Lempwick

Quote from: BigSock on April 23, 2019, 04:52:39 PM
PTA is working on a new script and discussed to Leo DiCaprio

https://twitter.com/Borys_Kit/status/1120805884777484288

Going back to this tweet, he never actually says DiCaprio passed on the PTA or Inarritu projects, just that he chose Nightmare Alley as his next project (which he then passed on).    DiCaprio says in this interview from earlier this week that he's been talking to Inarritu about some things, meaning he hasn't "passed" on that project, which could be the same for PTA's movie:

QuoteDEADLINE: Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu hasn't made a movie since.

DICAPRIO: No, he hasn't. We've been talking about some things.
But in terms of gearing up for these things, I'm not going to give you a massive song and dance about the difficulties. I get nauseated when I hear people talk about how difficult the industry is. That makes me nauseous because we're so f*cking lucky to do what we do. But you want to have a real life that affects who you are as an artist, and you want to have a sense of normalcy. That's all. And yeah, that movie was an exhausting experience, and then you do the whole campaign afterward, all that stuff. And then you go find what speaks to you. That's all. Really saying OK, this is a unique filmmaker, and a story, and a character that I can really delve into. That's all. Nothing really that profound at the end of the day.

https://deadline.com/2019/12/leonardo-dicaprio-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-career-future-interview-1202813571/

kingfan011

Makes me wonder if Darius Khondji will be the DP on the film. Half of the podcast with Sadfie brothers is a them raving about him.

jenkins

melaniehaynes

When does this start shooting? Fall right