The Master - Spoiler-Free Thread

Started by MacGuffin, December 02, 2009, 10:12:15 PM

modage

I was just thinking the past few weeks there had to be something on the horizon since it's been 2 years since TWBB and here we go.  I will remember today. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

polkablues

Quote from: RegularKarate on December 03, 2009, 12:01:43 PM
And we start the pattern of crazy again...

1.) PTA will mention what books he was influenced by for this one.  Everyone will rush out and read them.  Love them.

2.) PTA will mention what movies he was influenced by for this one.  Everyone will rush out and see them and come back, wondering why he chose those...mild disappointment.

3.) Screenplay will slowly leak.  People will read it, come back and tell everyone it sucks, it's boring, "W the fuck?"

4.) Teaser Poster comes out... work of genius... everyone will reference it in every thread here.

5.) Teaser trailer will come out, everyone will watch it a million times, jizz all over, tell everyone that hated the screenplay to suck a D.

5.) Official Release Poster will come out.  Everyone will hate it, screenplay jerk will be all "told you so".

6.) Official trailer will come out.  Amazing.  Screenplay jerks take it back.

7.) Movie comes out... two people will hate it... everyone else loves it.  One line will get quoted over and over.

8.) That line gets so over-quoted and referenced that the people who originally started quoting it will go back and erase original posts in which they quoted said line.  Then they'll say how much they hate it when people quote that line.

9.) Brett Ratner

can't wait

That's better than my plan...

1. Collect underpants

2. ?

3. Profit
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

RegKar wins thus far. i'm XIXAX about threads again

modage

The worst part about this news is knowing that no film in the next 2 years will be anywhere near as exciting or great as this will be.

Most Anticipated 2010: INVALIDATED.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

So This New Paul Thomas Anderson Movie Is Definitely About Scientology, Right?
Source: NYMag

Announced last night and already pretty much the upcoming movie we're most looking forward to, Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master will star Philip Seymour Hoffman in the title role as a charismatic dude who founds his own religion in 1952. The film's primary action will allegedly revolve around the clash between Hoffman's character and his second-in-command, a twentysomething guy named Freddie who comes to question what his boss is selling. So, even though Scientology's Wikipedia entry makes no mention of any troublemakers named Freddie, can we safely assume that the film will be a thinly veiled, Bowfinger-y slap at L. Ron Hubbard?

We're certainly going to! Despite Hoffman's physical resemblance to Hubbard and that Scientology was also founded in 1952, Variety claims "the drama does not so much scrutinize self-started churches like Scientology or the Mormons, as much as it explores the need to believe in a higher power, the choice of which one to embrace and the point at which a belief system graduates into a religion." But presumably they'd have to say something like that to get this thing made in Scientology-controlled Hollywood (Universal is apparently waiting on a final draft of the screenplay before it okays the film's $35 million budget).

We wonder if, to any degree, the idea for Master was inspired by Anderson's friendship with Jeremy Blake, the visual artist with whom he collaborated on 2002's Punch Drunk Love. As you'll recall, Blake and girlfriend Theresa Duncan took their own lives in 2007 under mysterious circumstances, with Duncan alleging they'd been harassed by Scientologists after the couple's friend Beck told them he was thinking about leaving the religion (Beck, of course, denied this). So we guess we probably shouldn't look for "Devil's Haircut" on The Master's soundtrack.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/12/so_this_new_paul_thomas_anders.html

Stefen

The making of this film is going to be so exciting. I wonder if the Scientologists will give PTA shit.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

©brad

Quote from: polkablues on December 03, 2009, 12:33:08 PM
Quote from: RegularKarate on December 03, 2009, 12:01:43 PM
And we start the pattern of crazy again...

1.) PTA will mention what books he was influenced by for this one.  Everyone will rush out and read them.  Love them.

2.) PTA will mention what movies he was influenced by for this one.  Everyone will rush out and see them and come back, wondering why he chose those...mild disappointment.

3.) Screenplay will slowly leak.  People will read it, come back and tell everyone it sucks, it's boring, "W the fuck?"

4.) Teaser Poster comes out... work of genius... everyone will reference it in every thread here.

5.) Teaser trailer will come out, everyone will watch it a million times, jizz all over, tell everyone that hated the screenplay to suck a D.

5.) Official Release Poster will come out.  Everyone will hate it, screenplay jerk will be all "told you so".

6.) Official trailer will come out.  Amazing.  Screenplay jerks take it back.

7.) Movie comes out... two people will hate it... everyone else loves it.  One line will get quoted over and over.

8.) That line gets so over-quoted and referenced that the people who originally started quoting it will go back and erase original posts in which they quoted said line.  Then they'll say how much they hate it when people quote that line.

9.) Brett Ratner

can't wait

That's better than my plan...

1. Collect underpants

2. ?

3. Profit

I love you both.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Stefen on December 03, 2009, 01:44:59 PM
The making of this film is going to be so exciting. I wonder if the Scientologists will give PTA shit.
Tom Cruise will silently judge him... Other than that, maybe...
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

modage

Quote from: polkablues on December 03, 2009, 12:22:12 AM
Tom Cruise will be quietly judging him like crazy after this movie comes out.

tpfkabi

the Blake thing was what i first thought of, too.
hmm...

but there's already a film project on that story.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Fernando

She-ah La-bawph as Freddie FTW

socketlevel

Quote from: bigideas on December 03, 2009, 03:04:04 PM
the Blake thing was what i first thought of, too.
hmm...

but there's already a film project on that story.

ya being done by gus van sant, no?

I have high hopes for this, i dig the subject matter. i think it's different then TWBB because religion was an offshoot whereas this is tackling head on and going for the jugular. by the sounds of it.
the one last hit that spent you...

socketlevel

Quote from: modage on December 03, 2009, 01:40:41 PM
So This New Paul Thomas Anderson Movie Is Definitely About Scientology, Right?
Source: NYMag

We wonder if, to any degree, the idea for Master was inspired by Anderson's friendship with Jeremy Blake, the visual artist with whom he collaborated on 2002's Punch Drunk Love. As you'll recall, Blake and girlfriend Theresa Duncan took their own lives in 2007 under mysterious circumstances, with Duncan alleging they'd been harassed by Scientologists after the couple's friend Beck told them he was thinking about leaving the religion (Beck, of course, denied this). So we guess we probably shouldn't look for "Devil's Haircut" on The Master's soundtrack.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2009/12/so_this_new_paul_thomas_anders.html

I did a thesis on Scientology and it's pretty scary. often celebs want to leave the religion but are persuaded to stay by the most sketchy back handed manipulation.  like they got dirt on them about sexual fetishes, or dirt on family members.

i would love if PTA did the history of Scientology, it's quite fascinating.  the religion itself is insane, but how it was formed is equally crazy. south park did the religion part brilliantly. though the behind the scenes stuff would, I'm sure, amaze most people. truth is stranger than fiction and L. Ron and co. have a sorted past.  

for example, he used to be an FBI informant during McCarthyism.  during his most paranoid days, highly drug induced, L. Ron ratted out his own immediate family to the feds.  his own son denounced the religion, citing insanity and massive drug use in his father. he built a navy fleet because he didn't make it into the US navy. when you go to the "initiation" program, which is similar to birthright in it's dogma and boot camp quality, you go to this naval battleship and wear navy inspired uniforms. two months prior to his founding the self help program that later became a religion (for tax write offs) a reporter asked him if he did well from all his science fiction writing. she asked him if he made good money doing it, and L. Ron replied something like "There is no money in it. you know where all the money is? it's in religion."

and the list goes on. very few people have breached the subject in film or any medium because of the religion's Nazi like way of attacking and blacklisting people... by which the account of PTAs two friends seems to fit that profile.  many have committed suicide because they can't deal with the emotional attacks and fear they go through.
the one last hit that spent you...

Gamblour.

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIITTTT

I do not know how to express excitement. I can't believe I just *now* read this. This is totally the sister/corollary to TWBB. Even the dynamic, older generation vs. younger, remains, but the scheme of power is reversed. CANNOT WAIT.

Lovely seeing the enthusiasm on here.
WWPTAD?