The thread where you embarass yourself with movies you've never seen

Started by Pas, April 28, 2010, 12:17:01 PM

Derek

Quote from: Stefen on April 28, 2010, 01:44:40 PM
How necessary do you think watching all these supposed great movies really is? I mean, even if we haven't seen them, we still know of them, know what they're about, know who did them, usually know how they end.

I think we had this conversation somewhere before in regards to Rocky. I've never seen Rocky, but do I really need to see it? I know everything about it. Who made it, who stars, what it's about, the climax, etc.

I ate in a really great restaurant yesterday. I ordered the free bread and water, but I ate there.
It's like, how much more black could this be? And the answer is none. None more black.

Neil

who was it that was talking about the pretentious shit? I'm having Deja Vu.

DO YOU NEED TO stefen?  No.

Do you know everything about the film?  Well, I'm not sure that's the point in watching a film.  Not saying i know what the "point" is, just stating the obvious.
it's not the wrench, it's the plumber.

JG

There's definitely a few mentioned in this thread that I also haven't seen (American movies made prior to 1950 perhaps the most egregious), but I'm mostly not worried about it. My movie-watching tendencies follow a strange path. I've found that watching certain movies out of necessity and not whim begets a lot of movies sitting around in their netflix case for far too long. Besides, for every Gone With The Wind that I haven't seen, there's an obscure title from Gloder Van Vorkenson that I have seen (Pas, his early stuff is more accesible..). I'm sure I'll get to it eventually.

That said, there's a trilogy of trilogies which I've very embarrassed to admit I've avoided. Like Cbrad, I too have never seen Star Wars. Also, Lord of the Rings. And Indiana Jones.  :shock: :oops: :doh:

But I will soon! I swear..

Gold Trumpet

I have owned Inland Empire ever since it debuted on DVD and still haven't watched it. I'm sure there are a lot of other titles, but I'm not thinking of good ones to list and when I look at the other lists, I'm feeling happy I have watched the great majority of them.

Captain of Industry

Quote from: Gold Trumpet on April 28, 2010, 11:33:57 PM
I have owned Inland Empire ever since it debuted on DVD and still haven't watched it. I'm sure there are a lot of other titles, but I'm not thinking of good ones to list and when I look at the other lists, I'm feeling happy I have watched the great majority of them.

Related to several conversations I've had within this thread, what do you do when you reach that point?  I mean for example I can still cruise around and check out some top 100 lists or whatever and pick out titles I haven't seen, or I can skim my Netflix queue, etc, although I also know that sometimes I feel like I've seen all I really want to see.  Usually that breaks through with a new title that opens doors to other titles.  So, if you right now can't think of new titles, are you revisiting titles?  Do you await new theatrical releases?  What's your pipeline, now that you're at the point in which you've seen the great majority of the upper crust?  What are your avenues for exploration?

Just curious.  I can tell you've been doing your homework.

brockly

i haven't seen dr strangelove :saywhat: *
i couldn't get thru 8 1/2 :ponder: **
i didn't like thin red line :doh: ***

*** it's due for review
** or any fellini for that matter
* this is the only one i'm embarrassed about

pete

new rule - go edit your post by listing the movies not seen in bold so we can quickly sift through six pages in the last 24 hours.
I'm gonna do it.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Captain of Industry on April 29, 2010, 12:08:28 AM
Quote from: Gold Trumpet on April 28, 2010, 11:33:57 PM

Related to several conversations I've had within this thread, what do you do when you reach that point?  I mean for example I can still cruise around and check out some top 100 lists or whatever and pick out titles I haven't seen, or I can skim my Netflix queue, etc, although I also know that sometimes I feel like I've seen all I really want to see.  Usually that breaks through with a new title that opens doors to other titles.  So, if you right now can't think of new titles, are you revisiting titles?  Do you await new theatrical releases?  What's your pipeline, now that you're at the point in which you've seen the great majority of the upper crust?  What are your avenues for exploration?

Just curious.  I can tell you've been doing your homework.

It depends on what kind of filmmaking you want to explore. When I was younger and interested in older Hollywood more, I would keep my attention to DVD forums that were about classic films and had a lot of people who were fanboys of Fox's wonderful classic line which had great DVDs for cheap, like My Darling Clementine, The Ox Bow Incident, Sunrise and All About Eve. They were continually speculating on possible titles that could or should be included so I was always looking them up.

Then I transitioned to an interest in foreign cinema and started frequenting criterionforum.org along with dvdbeaver.com to see what was being released worldwide and could be heading ashore to America. I stopped visiting those sites because it took up too much time to keep up with everything so right now I am on Twitter and follow a lot of good sources from Criterion's the Auteurs, Roger Ebert, Time Out Film and other film sources. I prefer twitter because these sources update all the time with new films to discover. And usually when they mention a new film, they mention one which is going to be released soon. The forum kids like to mention things which will not be around for a while or if at all. That was frustrating.

I also like Twitter because I can also follow my political and sports sources and get a good chunk of my everyday news from one place. Forum wise, criterionforum.org is still the best place for foreign cinema news, titles and all kinds of unappreciated genre.

pete

oh everyone always quotes wet hot american summer which I'd never seen.
most american movies before 1988 go unseen by me.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

john

I still haven't watched a film by Jules Dassin all the way through.

I'm pretty certain I've seen all of 2001 (maybe), just never in a single viewing.... and I own three fucking copies of it.
Also, speaking of Kubrick... Killer's Kiss.

I can't get through Seven Samurai... though, I believe I'll sit down with it one day and it will fucking engross me.

The Wild Bunch

Rio Bravo

Off the top of my head, those are the ones that embarrass me.

I'm sure the ones that will embarrass me in the future are titles I didn't even realize I needed to see.... shit I'm not even familiar with yet. For instance, I have friends that are breathless in their praise of Imamura's The Eel and, while everything I've seen by Imamura so far has been exquisite, I still haven't taken two measly hours to sit down and watch the fucking film years after it was initially recommended.

The other day, someone was incredulous that I'd never seen The French Connection... which I thought seemed like an odd title to regard as seminal... but now I feel like any reaction that strong to a film like The French Connection means I have to see it immediately.
Maybe every day is Saturday morning.

children with angels

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 28, 2010, 09:17:22 PM
really funny the people who go: ''look, really sorry... like, I don't want to say it but... I've never seen any film from Gloder Van Vorkenson... yikes!''

Well, it's kind of necessarily a sliding scale based on your own perception of embarrassing, isn't it? Like, for me as someone in the world of academic film studies, not having seen certain things is probably more embarrassing than it would be for others. This is what that whole Captain/New Feeling debate was about. There aren't hard and fast rules on what constitutes embarrassing, given that the word is an emotion.

EXCEPT for never having finished Boogie Nights or a single Tarantino film, Pas! That shit's not just just embarrassing - it's weiirrd...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

Pas

Quote from: children with angels on April 29, 2010, 04:30:52 AM
EXCEPT for never having finished Boogie Nights or a single Tarantino film, Pas! That shit's not just just embarrassing - it's weiirrd...

I know right? I get easily annoyed by fans in the case of QT. If all kinds of people I don't like love something I'd rather just not watch it. Started Inglorious and gave up really quickly on it (The Bear Jew part really killed me)

As for Boogie, I don't get it either.

So... I think that was it for me.

John's pretty bad too with Seven Samurai and the Wild Bunch, right?

And GT: Inland Empire..... same thing here: still haven't finished it (haven't seen past minute 5 I think) and owned it since day one.

Alexandro

dudes, for being supposedly in love with cinema you guys are missing A LOT of great stuff.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Pas

Quote from: Sleepless on April 29, 2010, 07:16:58 AM
Time to compile an Xixax Must-See List?

The thing is that all these movies are already on must-see lists, thus our embarrassment!

Quote from: Alexandro on April 29, 2010, 07:07:55 AM
dudes, for being supposedly in love with cinema you guys are missing A LOT of great stuff.

Makes no sense. I'm certain people who adore and live for litterature have not read every major book. Hardcore musicians have not heard every major album.

The day I'll have no films I'm ashamed of not having seen, I'll just cry. Like, if I had seen every god damn classic except Birth of a Nation like you, I'd be devastated. Edit: just poking at you a bit, not being a dick