Jonathan Kaplan

Started by w/o horse, October 20, 2006, 04:07:14 PM

w/o horse

I recently saw his '79 film Over the Edge and was quite impressed.  Not impressed only by the great rock soundtrack, the teenage rebellion theme, the perverse depiction of suburban alienation, or all the fun and mayhem, not just by these things, I thought it was excellently made as well.  Acting, directing, editing, across the board.

It's a movie with few sympathies depsite the sensational nature of the topic, and feels like a genre flick, though obviously social commentary as well.  It's somehow the pain of youth without the drama of youth, which is how I like them to be.

So it's got me all interested in Kaplan now.  He seems to have helmed quite a few b-titles, including Brokedown Palace, a movie I saw in Wal-Mart discount bins years ago and was always close to buying.  He also directed this movie:

I'm sure quite a few of us saw and loved the movie as kids or young adults.

He has some other films as well, and let's talk about them now.
Raven haired Linda and her school mate Linnea are studying after school, when their desires take over and they kiss and strip off their clothes. They take turns fingering and licking one another's trimmed pussies on the desks, then fuck each other to intense orgasms with colorful vibrators.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Losing the Horse: on October 20, 2006, 04:07:14 PMHe has some other films as well, and let's talk about them now.

The Accused is first rate. Talk about acting, directing, editing, across the board, this film has it.

Unlawful Entry I always liked; a nice underrated thriller. It has an excellent commentary by Kaplan too.

With subject matter like these films, it seems that's why he directed the better episodes of ER and Without A Trace.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

Quote from: MacGuffin on October 20, 2006, 09:02:25 PM
With subject matter like these films, it seems that's why he directed the better episodes of ER and Without A Trace.
with the box office/video earnings from these and his other films, it seems that's why he directed episodes of ER and Without a Trace.
under the paving stones.