Joe Dante

Started by Spike, September 06, 2003, 11:53:22 AM

Spike

Any thoughts or opinions on Joe Dante?

I think he made some great films, including "Gremlins 1+2", "Innerspace" and the amazing "The 'burbs".
After some TV-Films it seems like his big comeback is coming ("Haunted Lighthouse", "Looney Tunes: Back in Action".
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Cecil

the howling is also good.

i like the twilight zone movie (spielbergs segment i hated and dantes was mediocre). i love the prologue, who directed it?

mutinyco

Dante was the Man in the '80s. His stuff was far ahead of its time -- regarding his postmodern sense of reference.

I think his sense of reference did him in though -- similarly to John Landis. He did the new Loony Toons movie. We'll see.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Spike

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedi love the prologue, who directed it?

The prologue was directed by John Landis.

Quote from: gwaithe goonies
the burbs, is the raw deal

"The Goonies" was directed by Richard Donner and not Joe Dante.
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Sleuth

Gremlins being my favorite
I like to hug dogs

Sal

One of my favorite directors.  His films shaped who I've become.

cine

Did anyone see Dante as one of the handful of director cameos in The Silence of the Hams movie?

Fun Fact on top of that: In the 70's, Dante worked for Roger Corman, whose wife happened to produce SOTH.

Alethia

Quote from: Cecil B. Dementedthe howling is also good.

i like the twilight zone movie (spielbergs segment i hated and dantes was mediocre). i love the prologue, who directed it?

yeah i hated landis's segment too (the one with vic morrow), i thought spielberg's sucked, dante's was okay, miller's was awesome, and the prologue kicked ass

modage

just watched the howling.  pretty good werewolf movie, unfortunately outdone by american werewolf in london later that year, in my opinon.  but still worthwhile.  pretty good, but long, transformation effects.  story got a little rosemarysbaby-ish at the end with the whole "join us -- cult" thing.  but, the whole end 20 minutes was ass kicking.  werewolves looked great.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Cecil

Quote from: themodernage02werewolves looked great.

have you seen "dog soldiers?" the movie is so-so, but the werewolves are among the very best looking ever (if they arent THE best)

modage

yeah i did. my dad really loved it. i thought it was interesting.  but the whole climax was pretty boss with all the werewolves coming into the house. and yeah, they also looked really great.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.