Godard

Started by Duck Sauce, February 01, 2003, 08:29:30 PM

SoNowThen

Quote from: ewardhave you watched the interview with him yet in it, where he's unshaven and in his bathrobe?  look at his eyes, he looks so wacked out, its kinda scary.

I love it.

I also love how they make the point of showing that it's 3pm, and yet it looks like he just got up.

Ranemaka13 -- go buy Contempt. Beyond all the praise the others have already given, it contains one of the best extras of all time: The Dinosaur and the Baby, an hour long conversation between Lang and Godard about directing.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Alethia

Quote from: UncleJoeyAlso, I saw Notre Musique Thursday night. I thought it was pretty bad - just an absolute mess.

wow, really?  i absolutely loved it.  easily one of my top five godard pictures and one of the best films to have come out so far this decade.

SoNowThen

Yeah, except for one scene, Notre Musique is perfect.

Exciting news for Godard fans w/ multiregion players:

AV Channel (Australia, R4) have announced their upcoming DVD release of Godard's La Chinoise will impressively include Godard's 52-minute British Sounds (1969) and 62-minute JLG/JLG (1994).

Here's a link to the AV Website -- http://www.avchannel.com.au/

I think Optimum is releasing La Chinoise in the UK in about a month as well, but unless the transfer on the Aussie one is just BRUTAL, it would be clutch to get ahold of those two other films.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

tpfkabi

i believe that is what the huge red poster is from in The Dreamers. i have wondered about that film since then. has anyone actually seen it?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

soixante

Quote from: bigideasi believe that is what the huge red poster is from in The Dreamers. i have wondered about that film since then. has anyone actually seen it?

I saw it 20 years ago at a revival theater.  All I remember is a bunch of students giving speeches about Communism.  I'd like to see it again.
Music is your best entertainment value.

SiliasRuby

Quote from: SoNowThen

Exciting news for Godard fans w/ multiregion players:

AV Channel (Australia, R4) have announced their upcoming DVD release of Godard's La Chinoise will impressively include Godard's 52-minute British Sounds (1969) and 62-minute JLG/JLG (1994).

Here's a link to the AV Website -- http://www.avchannel.com.au/
This is great news. Thanks for the info SoNowThen.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Alethia

awesome awesome awesome news, the vhs for jlg/jlg is like 80 bucks.

SoNowThen

La Chinoise is great.

Better than Weekend and Two Or Three Things, not as good as Alphaville or Pierrot Le Fou, imo. Whatever the fuck that means :-D !!!

It's kinda the logical bridge-point between Masculin Feminin and Tout Va Bien. The less seriously you actually take what is being said, and just look into the fact that it is being said, and by whom, in light of what was to happen in '68, then it becomes interesting. Plus, Jean-Pierre Leaud is just awesome to watch in whatever he does.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: SoNowThenLa Chinoise is great.

Better than Weekend and Two Or Three Things, not as good as Alphaville or Pierrot Le Fou, imo. Whatever the fuck that means :-D !!!

It's kinda the logical bridge-point between Masculin Feminin and Tout Va Bien. The less seriously you actually take what is being said, and just look into the fact that it is being said, and by whom, in light of what was to happen in '68, then it becomes interesting. Plus, Jean-Pierre Leaud is just awesome to watch in whatever he does.

I'm thinking you should start an International DVD thread of new and future releases you can keep updating. You're really getting me itching to buy a regionless DVD player. I'm serious.

soixante

I'm thinking of blind buying Tout Va Bien, but I'm not sure if I should lay out the 30 bucks.  Has anyone seen it?  What Godard films does it most resemble?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: soixanteI'm thinking of blind buying Tout Va Bien, but I'm not sure if I should lay out the 30 bucks.  Has anyone seen it?  What Godard films does it most resemble?

I assume it would remind me of later Godard, but I'm not much familiar him then. One thing the film did shockingly remind me of was Jacques Tati. Well, certain scenes did. I think the disc is worth the purchase. The short film A Letter to Jane could have easily been its own disc like Night and Fog was but is just an extra. Also, the booklet is much larger than most dvds that cheap from Criterion.

soixante

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet
Quote from: soixanteI'm thinking of blind buying Tout Va Bien, but I'm not sure if I should lay out the 30 bucks.  Has anyone seen it?  What Godard films does it most resemble?

I assume it would remind me of later Godard, but I'm not much familiar him then. One thing the film did shockingly remind me of was Jacques Tati. Well, certain scenes did. I think the disc is worth the purchase. The short film A Letter to Jane could have easily been its own disc like Night and Fog was but is just an extra. Also, the booklet is much larger than most dvds that cheap from Criterion.

Thanks for the advice.  I guess I'll just be a patron of the arts and go for it.  

I assume that it's a few years away from Weekend, so if it resembles that film, all goes well.

soixante

Just bought Tout Va Bien and watched it.  The supermarket scene reminded me of Weekend and Tati.  Red state rednecks can't stand Jane Fonda and Frace, and here is a movie that combines the two, with Fonda speaking fluent French to boot.

In sum, it was worth buying.

Alethia

i enjoyed it.  i definitely don't think it's better than weekend, however.  i think i remember someone saying that a few posts up.  too lazy to look.

soixante

Tout Va Bien wasn't as good as Weekend, but I enjoyed it more than a lot of Godard's later films, which have become so abstract that they are beyond my comprehension (although I loved Every Man For Himself).

The supermarket tracking shot reminded me of the extended traffic jam shot in Weekend.  Also, the workers addressing the camera and complaining about working conditions reminded me of Weekend as well.

It was interesting that Jane Fonda, once introduced, was relegated to a passive, secondary role in the film.  Most directors would put a superstar like Fonda (fresh off her Oscar win for Klute) front and center, but Godard puts her on the sidelines, along with the central romantic plot, in favor of the workers.  It is as if the strikers have not only taken over the factory, but they have hijacked the movie we expected to see.

Is is also interesting to view the film after 30+ years to see how much has changed -- and how much remains the same.  Communism has been debunked, and yet is unfettered free-market capitalism any better?  Workers were getting screwed in France in the early 70's, and what is happening to workers in America today?  Most new jobs are in the service sector, which means fast food McJobs and "customer service representatives."

Tout Va Bien could be updated and adapted to America 2005, with a bunch of workers taking over a Wal-Mart.