Criterion News and Discussion

Started by Gold Trumpet, January 16, 2003, 06:18:19 PM

Pubrick

NEWSFLASH: ANY DVD PLAYER CAN BE MADE REGION FREE.

"how?" you ask,
"but region code encryption is more unbreakable than a twinky!!" you exclaim,
"MY GOD WHAT WIZARDRY IS THIS?!!" calm down.

let's say you own a home theatre system manufactured by Sony, named Sony Home Theatre System DAV-BC150. the "internets" enable you to apply this search string: "region free DAV-BC150" ok so that's a bad example. it's already region free. let's just search for "region free codes"... what is this that comes up? a million sites devoted to unlocking dvd players??

"but my dvd player is too old to even play DVDs!" buy a new one for $50 or less. now, prepare yourself, for it will be obvious to even the most dim-witted individual with an advanced degree in hyperbolic topology..

you have now stumbled into the third dimension
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

From The Digital Bits:

Criterion is hinting in their latest e-mail newsletter that their first titles from director Krzysztof Kieslowski will become part of the Collection this fall.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

cine

i just got word, guys! this fall KIESLOWSKI is coming to criterion collection!

Ravi

Quote from: Cinephile on July 10, 2006, 06:15:31 PM
i just got word, guys! this fall KIESLOWSKI is coming to criterion collection!

Its more credible when Koko says it.

Gold Trumpet

Yea, the rare time Macguffin and others pop their head in to give news, it becomes the non-news event of the entire thread. Discussion is going on at the Criterion board whether they will stop with The Double Life of Veronique or continue to release titles like The Decalogue and other early works. The Three Colors Trilogy is considered the only definitive DVD for Kieslowski out there.

In actual news, Roger Ebert confirmed in his latest Great Movies article that Criterion will release the classic Italian film, Cabira(1914) No date on exactly when they will.

MacGuffin

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on June 25, 2006, 10:25:36 PM"We are actually currently working on a Double Life of Veronique release. As a lot of work still needs to be done, we do not currently have and estimated release date. If you check the "Coming Soon" page on our website you can see planned future release dates once they have been determined. I have provided a link to this page below."

Quote from: MacGuffin on July 10, 2006, 04:23:03 PM
From The Digital Bits:

Criterion is hinting in their latest e-mail newsletter that their first titles from director Krzysztof Kieslowski will become part of the Collection this fall.

Sorry. Thought I was trying to help.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

JG

We can probably expect an Army of Shadows DVD release sometime soon, right? 

Gold Trumpet

Well, I believe Rialto re-released it around April. The Criterion transition usually takes 8-9 months so I'm expecting late this year or early next year. The disc could be delayed a little longer if they choose to release a special edition.

SoNowThen

Double Life Of Veronique R2 dvd is good. I'm sure it will be the same as the Criterion transfer, but I have yet again fucked myself out of potential good extras, covers, and essays, by impatiently purchasing London-based discs.

Anyway, if the BFI/NFT/Rialto release strategy as in Army Of Shadows is any indication, we can expect Criterion to put out Rivette's Paris Belongs To Us and Celine And Julie Go Boating in the near future, as I (like the materialist little monkey I am) will be buying the BFI's versions of them this fall -- so you know that automatically means I will probably get screwed with a double-dip, for no other reason than being a loyal Criterion completist (although the 10 minute Schrader intro to the CC Pickpocket seemed like a good reason to lay down an extra $40...).
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Gold Trumpet

Criterion continues to introduce more directors. Lodge Kerrigan was announced already, but October will bring another new one in Alfonso Cuarón. As far as releases go, all are potential rentals with Hands Over The City as the only one I may buy.

the links:

Sólo con tu pareja

Hands Over the City

Clean Shaven

Sweetie

Gold Trumpet

Chest Rockwell

Oh god I hope Criterion makes Kieslowski a regular director. Double Life of Veronique was fantastic though.

If they made double-disc sets of that and Blind Chance, and, what the hell, released them at the same time, I'd cream three pairs of pants.

bonanzataz

Quote from: Chest Rockwell on August 03, 2006, 09:08:49 AM
Oh god I hope Criterion makes Kieslowski a regular director. Double Life of Veronique was fantastic though.

If they made double-disc sets of that and Blind Chance, and, what the hell, released them at the same time, I'd cream three pairs of pants.

Quote from: in the "notes from sexual intercourse thread," Chest Rockwell on December 03, 2004, 09:11:40 PM
On to other things, I've noticed it's a big hassle to cum in your pants. I was sucking her tits and got her to react, and for some reason the pleasure really turned me on. I had to keep taking breathers to suppress the incoming ejaculation, but eventually I wasn't able to hold it in any longer and creamed my pants

seriously, dude. you need to learn to control yourself.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls