BoJack Horseman (Netflix, Will Arnett, Aaron Paul, Alison Brie)

Started by ono, August 24, 2014, 11:12:40 PM

ono

Animated series about a washed up horse actor who starred in a Full House-esque show and is now seeking out Brie's character to ghostwrite his memoirs.  Took a bit for me to warm up to it, but the world created (mainly, the anthropomorphic characters) provides for so many possibilities.  Digging it so far.  Some great one-liners, and Mr. Peanutbutter slays me.  I just loved the choices of animals made for the news anchor who interviews BoJack after he criticizes the "Navy Seal."  That whale yapping away really did it for me.

Tictacbk

I thought this was a pretty solid season one.  If you're reading this and you've only watched the pilot and you've decided this show sucks, I urge you to watch a few more.  It gets funnier, and by the end it even mixes in some poignancy.  *Spoiler, but not really a spoiler, just something I didn't expect so when it happened I was pleasantly surprised, so you might not want to know about it: I liked how the show was willing to play real emotional moments at times.  It has a rare mix of absurdism and sincerity that I appreciated.  Having said that, it also tried to play the shock card a few too many times and I imagine some of the LA stuff was too insider-y for some people.  But I'm hoping they work out some kinks for the second season (which I'm glad they got).

ono

This show really sticks with you.  It's not laugh out loud funny.  There's no real gross out or shock humor.  If you get past the anthropomorphic characters (which only add to the charm of the show), you find something really introspective.  Sure I guess it's navel gazing in a way.  But it's a show that doesn't give easy answers or happy endings.  It's about a fuck-up fucking up and paying the price.  I watched it twice and enjoyed it even more the second time around.  Helps that there are a lot of visual gags that you miss the first time around.

Tictacbk

My (half way through the) second time around, I'd just like to say it really is a great (animated) show about depression (that features animals doing people stuff).  Also Vincent Adultman is probably the funniest/weirdest runner since anything (in Arrested Development) I've seen in a while.

ono

This show is so silly one moment, so deeply sad and thought-provoking the next.  I love it.  Halfway through the new season, and greatly enjoying it.  The gameshow will go down as an iconic episode.  That ending was just so perfect.  I was laughing out loud for a good 10 seconds.

Plus, Philip Baker Hall has a significant role in it.  So, go watch it.  Oh, and Lisa Kudrow plays an owl TV exec who came out of a 30-year coma and is Bojack's love interest.  So there's that, too.

Fuzzy Dunlop

Loved both seasons. It's a deeply honest show, raw and aching and not afraid to risk Bojack or Diane's 'likability' with bold choices. Between PBH's character and the opening shot of the game show episode there seemed to be some Magnolia homagin' going down. Every single thing Paul F. Tompkins says makes me die laughing. And Benny Schwazz is all over this season! So many small character moments where I actually went "Aww" out loud, which I really never do. They NAIL all the LA stuff, especially the specific way depression can feel in a place where it's sunny every motherfucking day. After going so deep with Bojack in season 1 it felt like there was a lot more emphasis on fleshing out the other characters this season, which I thought they did a great job of, especially Mr. Peanutbutter, who kept gaining shades of depth I didn't even know I wanted from him, so good.

jenkins

i haven't seen the show. it's designed by Lisa Hanawalt, who was name-dropped in the Gooses trailer, and whose new book came out within the past week:

this book makes total sense to me, for example this is a depiction of a chef who does't like tomatoes, which Hanawalt indeed likes:

i think a little imagination goes a long way, and can be implemented under transitional conditions as well:

it's not a story of narrative form, it's a story of emotional tempo. i don't think it's random. i don't think it's difficult. i think it's what you allow it to be and i think it's wonderful

jenkins

^finished the book btw, and it's not quite as open ended as i made it sound. it's a series of vignettes linked together by aesthetic atmosphere. it's like a narrative that wants to be a joie de vivre but finds itself confronted by reality.

i actually think the critical quotes provided in the new Bojack trailer provide a good summary of Hanawalt's intentions:

Tictacbk

ono

This season just wrecked me in the best way.

Best show on television right now.  Up there with Better Call Saul.

Will avoid spoilers for now.  Hurry up and finish!  Put aside whatever other shit you've got going on in the background.

Let's just say everything built up in the first two seasons is paid off here.  It's so laugh-out-loud funny (as opposed to the internal ha-ha it initially had going), and its dramatic turns are up there with scripted television, to allow you to get all introspective and shit just after those moments of levity.  These moments have a real impact on the way you look at your life.

Todd and Mr. Peanutbutter continue to be my favorite characters.  They both have a zeal for life which is infectious, especially in contrast to BoJack.  The throwaway jokes they have rival the potency of that of 30 Rock at its best.

Brrap Brrap Pew Pew!  Biel with it.  Pass the spaghetti.  Or something.

Tictacbk

Finally finished. Ugh this show is just so good. I can't believe everyone here isn't constantly gushing over it. As usual, i'll blame the Netflix release strategy.

I think I need to rewatch before I finalize any thoughts, but there's at least 2 masterpieces in this season alone.

Drenk

Lovely trailer. Last season wasn't as good as season 2. It did feel like the show needed a season to change the status quo. Well. Status quo: changed.
Ascension.

Tictacbk