Worst Movie Ever

Started by IHeartPTA, August 22, 2003, 01:22:10 PM

cronopio 2

Quote from: ©brad on June 28, 2010, 09:42:43 AM

And fucking Christ, misogyny is not lying to a woman just so you can fuck her.

i don't know what else to call that behavior.

Pas

pete

Quote from: socketlevel on June 28, 2010, 10:50:01 AM

ironically, it is often said that there are poor female characters in cinema because we don't take them as seriously as we should (meaning men writer/directors), i think the real truth is because we're not allowed to write them as they actually are (3 dimensionally flawed) without being called sexist. the very people holding back good meaty female characters are in my opinion the very people calling out for better portrayals. just because i depict a woman in a bad light doesn't mean I'm not being honest or sexist. and the moment we can do this, will be the moment there will be great flawed female heroes.

I love it when people say that, like they just weren't allowed to write 3-dimensionality...like if it weren't for the rampant feminism that's being upheld by all them Hollywood male execs, everyone would be so three dimensional.
now, you name me one example of a female character whose depth is held back by raging feminism.

and, MORE ironically...Avatar gave us the most three dimensional female characters yet.

still, brad I think you have gone too far in defending that silly critic.  you made valid points but you also have to admit that piece was wildly knee-jerk reactionary.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

socketlevel

Quote from: pete on June 28, 2010, 06:54:51 PM
Quote from: socketlevel on June 28, 2010, 10:50:01 AM

ironically, it is often said that there are poor female characters in cinema because we don't take them as seriously as we should (meaning men writer/directors), i think the real truth is because we're not allowed to write them as they actually are (3 dimensionally flawed) without being called sexist. the very people holding back good meaty female characters are in my opinion the very people calling out for better portrayals. just because i depict a woman in a bad light doesn't mean I'm not being honest or sexist. and the moment we can do this, will be the moment there will be great flawed female heroes.

I love it when people say that, like they just weren't allowed to write 3-dimensionality...like if it weren't for the rampant feminism that's being upheld by all them Hollywood male execs, everyone would be so three dimensional.
now, you name me one example of a female character whose depth is held back by raging feminism.

and, MORE ironically...Avatar gave us the most three dimensional female characters yet.

still, brad I think you have gone too far in defending that silly critic.  you made valid points but you also have to admit that piece was wildly knee-jerk reactionary.

you love it when "people" say this? when exactly do they say this? come on, address me and not the message board, pointing at the kid with the dunce cap on looking for support.

i think you're making a mistake when judging avatar, you're noting the best performances and not the best characters. both major female characters are never wrong and serve as teacher for the others. the protagonist is flawed (who comes to realize his flaws), the antagonist is very flawed (who doesn't come to realize anything and pays the price). the females are just right morally/ethically on every issue, no growth whatsoever. unless i forgot some major character development that i'm sure you could correct me on they're just not realistic. their actions are in the name of science or spirituality, but always with just hearts. sigorney weaver gives the best performance in the movie, and i applaud her for the shit character she was given.

I'm also not saying that there are no movies made with such characters, just look at morven caller or Julia (the Tilda swinton one). those are very troubled and flawed female characters.

i don't think execs have anything to do with it, I'll go one step further and say it's society. and it's more like being safe than raging feminism, and that safeness is the profit point for the execs whether they know it or not. i think the same thing happens to men and the majority of their characters are written with a shallow standard but think about how many times sexism comes up as a talking point, and only on one side. recently Lars Von trier was attacked. Todd solandz was attacked as well for basically all his films because he makes women just as deplorable (though different) as men.

as stated before (on a different thread i believe) i agree that almadovar makes female characters for women and that's about it. he writes women that women like, not necessarily they way they are.
the one last hit that spent you...

socketlevel

Quote from: ©brad on June 28, 2010, 12:14:22 PM
Stone got shit for Wall Street because his female characters weren't dimensional in the slightest. Daryl Hannah's character has no arc whatsoever, she remains a self-proclaimed golddigger from beginning to end. Gekko's wife is even more repulsive and one-note. And let's see, there's the hooker who blows Charlie Sheen in the limo, a few bits with happy-go-lucky secretaries, and that's it. I love Stone a ton, but it's a man's universe with him.

i'm only going based on what he said, and he referenced it in a way to suggest they thought he was being sexist. and I don't knwo first hand but if that world and type of man attracts gold grubbing bottom feeders then that's the kinda character you write.

i agree her char doesn't really have an arc.

pete

my avatar comment was a joke.  because it was the most three dimensional film ever made.
nevermind.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

socketlevel

Quote from: pete on June 28, 2010, 09:41:00 PM
my avatar comment was a joke.  because it was the most three dimensional film ever made.
nevermind.
oh lol jokes on me, i get it now. one love.

children with angels

For anyone who might be interested, I've done a big ol' in-depth analysis of The Room here: http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/2010/08/on-greatness-of-tommy-wiseaus-room.html. Rather than just list all the things that are 'bad' about it, I've tried to really get to grips with how it's able to repeatedly bring me so much pleasure, as well as talking a little bit about the nature of 'unintentional' brilliance.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

HeywoodRFloyd

Ps: Worst film I've seen in August 2012, or even 2012 altogether:

Cosmopolis.

And I'm a Cronenberg fan..

InTylerWeTrust

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on August 29, 2012, 11:02:50 PM

Cosmopolis.

Yeah, I didn't like it either. But Pattinson's performance was actually decent... for once. 

Worst I've seen this month has to be a tie between: Super Mario Bros (1993) and  Revenge of the Nerds 2 (1987)

I loved the first revenge of the nerds so I gave part 2 a try.... What a disgrace  :elitist:

And that Super Mario movie still hunts my dreams... I think my childhood is now ruined by how AWFUL that movie was. Big contender for worst movie of all time.
Fuck this place..... I got a script to write.

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: InTylerWeTrust on August 30, 2012, 12:58:34 AM
Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on August 29, 2012, 11:02:50 PM

Cosmopolis.

Yeah, I didn't like it either. But Pattinson's performance was actually decent... for once.

I couldn't disagree more, I'm not a hater of Pattison, but his performance in Cosmopolis was terrible. I don't know who to blame though, him or Cronenberg, the whole film was mishandled. Worst movie of the year. Plus the cinematography looked like that of a TV show, which definitely did NOT help. Any person who says 'You just didn't understand the film' can go get fucked. Look at me ranting just by thinking about it, I don't rant much, that's saying something.

Also Leos Carax's Holy Motors comes a close second to being the worst. When the film finished at the Festival, Everyone started applauding, I did not dare move my hands, I felt like Carax should have been applauding me for sitting through that nonsense, I was first really intrigued, then worried about it not going anywhere plausible, on the last 2 minutes of the film I was ready to stand up and say 'Fuck this movie' and leave.

I hate film festival folk, when something is ambiguous for no apparent reason, they're like 'Oh this is art'. Seriously Go Fuck Yourself.

You know what topped it off when I left the theatre? When I saw this:

If I don't see it I'm mainstream? Go fuck yourself you pretentious hipsters.

See how much I hated Holy Motors? Cosmopolis is still worse. There's a rant if there ever was one

Ravi

I was at the house of a friend of my girlfriend, and they (for some unknown reason) decided to watch Breaking Wind, the parody of Twilight Breaking Dawn. Out of the four of us, one person mildly chuckled once or twice, and the others of us didn't laugh once, which is amazing, because even shitty comedies usually make me laugh a few times. It was almost impressive how it managed to completely bypass humor. I would rather watch Manos: The Hands of Fate again.

theyarelegion

recent one-star affairs:

Don't Come Knocking
TED (!)
Being Flynn
Real Steel
God Bless America
Jeff, Who Lives at Home
21 Jump Street
Wassup Rockers

all dreadful movies...

Reel

worst movie this month:

and I bought it.

matt35mm

Hmm, interesting, as I liked a lot of these movies, but not strongly enough to defend them. (Well, I didn't like Don't Come Knocking, but I didn't hate it either. It was a bland experience. Certainly disappointing.)

I liked Cosmopolis because it was effective in lulling me into a half-dream state that really just didn't feel like anything I had experienced before. But if you ask me to talk about the content of the film, I'd have nothing to say. The sterile, TV-like quality to the image, the sort of shitty green-screen, these all added to that experience. But I can see how easy it would be to tear a lot of holes into this thing.

I enjoyed Holy Motors, but I can see why it's aggravating to you to see it touted as high art. It's a goofy movie. Nothing more, really. We can even call it hollow, but I still found it enjoyable. I thought the jokes were funny. I agree that the ad campaign is silly, though.

I also liked God Bless America, Jeff, Who Lives at Home, and 21 Jump Street. Again, I just found them enjoyable and had no compulsion to judge them all that critically. I just wanted to giggle and they made me giggle.