Michael Mann

Started by MacGuffin, June 03, 2003, 09:37:53 AM

oakmanc234

I like Mann a lot. Especially his under-rated 'Ali'.

'Collateral' sound great, kind of a mix of 'Taxi Driver' and 'Phone Booth'. Though when I hear of its title, I immediately think of that seriously plain Schwarzenegger flick, 'Collateral Damage'.

I really hope Sandler signs on.
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Duck Sauce

I hope Sandler signs on for this and for Quentins new movie, that would be one hell of a stable of more serious roles. Cant go wrong with those guys

oakmanc234

Duck Sauce wrote: I hope Sandler signs on for this and for Quentins new movie, that would be one hell of a stable of more serious roles. Cant go wrong with those guys

EXACTLY!!!!!!! Sandler to do 'Collateral' and 'Bastards' back to back would be soooooo sweet. Mann and Tarantino. I can't see it happening, though. He'd probably get his Hapy Madison withdrawls or somethin.

oakmanc234

Now for the worst movie news I've heard in a while. Sandler's out of 'Collateral' and Jamie Foxx is in. Sandler (who has started a new comedy CD instead) is out of the project and Jamie Foxx ('Any Given Sunday') has taken over the role of Max the taxi driver. Suddenly, 'Collateral' just isn't as exciting as it used to be........

Johnny Cusavo

I don't know about that.. I think Jamie Foxx could make it fly. I loved him in Any Given Sunday. I think he's getting better and better in dramatic roles and adding a lot of depth to the characters he portrays. Ali, rocked.
Michael Mann is the greatest!!

MacGuffin

Val Kilmer Chasing Tom Cruise in Collateral
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Val Kilmer is in talks to join Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx in the Michael Mann-directed Collateral. The DreamWorks Pictures/Paramount Pictures co-production will start filming in October.

The project, written by Stuart Beattie, stars Foxx as a Los Angeles cab driver forced to serve as a chauffeur to a contract killer on a string of hits. Kilmer will star as a detective on the trail of Cruise's character.

Kilmer has an incredible seven projects in the can awaiting release, including Wonderland, Blind Horizon, Stateside, Mindhunters, The Missing, Delgo and Spartan.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

Quote from: Johnny CusavoI don't know about that.. I think Jamie Foxx could make it fly. I loved him in Any Given Sunday. I think he's getting better and better in dramatic roles and adding a lot of depth to the characters he portrays. Ali, rocked.
Michael Mann is the greatest!!

Right on...Jammie Foxx was great in Any Given Sunday and if you ask me, the Ali supporting actor nomination should have been for him instead of Jon Voight...he's really good...

As for Cruise, back when I saw Eyes Wide Shut I left the thetre thinking he just had his way paved for an academy award nomination for best actor...he should have got a double nod that year, one for EWS, one for Magnolia...I mean it wasn't that far out...

Disco Stu

I'm a huge Michael Mann fan.  I was really pissed when CBS canceled Robbery Homicide Division.  That was the best new show of last season.  I remember reading somewhere that Mann has said he wants to focus more on directing rather than writing so maybe Collateral is the first step he's making toward this.  I've heard the Miami Vice thing too but I can't see that happening.  He wouldn't stoop to that would he?
I used to do drugs.  I still do but I used to too!

oakmanc234

I got nothing against Foxx, I just find the prospect of Sandler & Cruise in a Mann thriller a lot more enticing.
Foxx is great, he went off in 'Any Given Sunday' and was under-rated in 'Ali'.

Anachronism

Very valid points by all. I guess I would be said stem from the school of the fence sitter. While Sandler has held a special place in my heart since his old SNL days, his foray into less slapstick oriented entertainment, namely "Anger Management" and "Punch Drunk Love." has really impressed me. Not to say that I consider him a true thespian, at this point he is more of a work in progress, and from the sounds of his withdrawal to work on his comedy cd, I would suggest that there is still quite some work to be done before his transition could be said to be complete. That being said, I think Jamie Foxx will be able to do just as good, if not better, a performance as Max. His recent performances in "Any Given Sunday," and of course "Ali" have really opened up my appreciation for him. While Willie Beeman(sp) wasn't the most demanding of roles, it certainly showed his ability to take on a non-comedic lead role while playing up against a legend, Pacino. What really revealed how dynamic he was though was of course "Ali," where his crack addicted balding character stole the show in my opinion and gave Will Smith the palpable energy to lend a convincing human edge to his dialogues. I am thoroughly looking forward to this film and am even more excited because two of my favourite actors are taking the reigns. Kilmer and Cruise need an excuse to work together, I mean come on Top Gun was a generational icon of manhood. "Heat" in my humble opinion was one of the best films of the 90's, chiefly thanks to Pacino, Kilmer, Sizemore and De Niro. What I'm really trying to say is that Kilmer+Cruise+Foxx/Mann=Oh yeah.

P.S Willow was the single most inspiring film of my pre-formative years, and Kilmer was the first actor I wanted to emulate.

Ghostboy

Hey, I just finished watching Willow and then logged on and noticed you mentioned it! Star crossed coincidence? Maybe. I love it too...it came out when I was seven, and I went nuts over it.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Anachronism"Anger Management"
I will give you the latter of your post here....but this movie sucks big time.  I was very much looking forward to it...when I went to see a sunday afternoon matinee of this...and they said, "7.50 please."...I said, "7.50 for a matinee?...what the hell is the regular price?"...she replied, "$9.50"

needless to say...I was pissed I spent $7.50 on this flick.  The whole Yankee thing (and I am a yankee fan....I know, I know) was fuckin' retarded beyond belief.  Had so much more potential than it presented.

oakmanc234

I loved Anger Management. "Why don't you sing me the 'I'm A Crazy Asshole' Song! And take me home you psychotic piece of whacko!".

It's a classic in my eyes, but that's me.......

modage

sure, i dont doubt that Foxx COULD do the part. i'm sure he'll be fine. just the idea of adam sandler getting out of an "adam sandler movie" for a change, and playing a supporting character opposite tom cruise, THATS GEEKTASTIC!  foxx can show up in lots of roles, he doesnt bother me.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

jasper_window

Jamie Foxx is all right, Sandler would've been interesting for the role, but I think it would great to get Benicio del Toro instead.