Unsane

Started by wilder, January 29, 2018, 03:11:38 PM

wilder

Jonathan Bernstein & James Greer wrote Unsane, which centers on a young woman (Foy) who is involuntarily committed to a mental institution where she is confronted by her greatest fear — but is it real or is it a product of her delusion?

Directed by Steven Soderbergh
Starring Claire Foy
Release Date - March 23, 2018

polkablues

Looks like a nice companion piece to Side Effects.

I'm not totally sold on the iPhone cinematography here. Contrast it to when he shot Full Frontal on a Sony XL1, he really leaned into the way it looked different from shooting on a traditional movie camera. In this case, he seems to just be shooting it as if it were a traditional movie camera, but on an iPhone. It creates almost an uncanny valley effect, where it looks basically like what you would expect of a professionally-made movie, but you can tell the image is "wrong" in some vague, undefinable way.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I endorse this movie. It's certainly not a masterpiece, but it's about as good as a thriller / genre film with this premise could be.

The iPhone cinematography does not feel like a gimmick. The lighting being absolutely fantastic throughout kind of makes that feel like an irrelevant issue. Is the format essential? Not sure, but it was definitely not a detriment.

If you think this is a movie about the definition of insanity or whatnot, you're in for something more interesting. It's also not one of those movies where you get to know the colorful cast of characters in the asylum (thank God). Light spoils: It's feminist more than anything. Medium-light spoils: There is one scene in particular that is a brilliant deconstruction of a male fantasy. The movie is also very smart about trauma.

SPOILERS

I wanted to say this about the lighting. I love how David's eyes are so often in complete darkness. His perspective literally does not matter. He's a pathetic monster who we're not even allowed to empathize with. And that felt right.