Secondhand Lions

Started by ono, September 17, 2003, 10:36:25 PM

ono

Just curious what everyone else is thinking about this movie.  It starts Friday, September 19th, and stars Haley Joel Osment, Michael Caine, and Robert Duvall.  Caine was on Conan last night, and showed how he could switch from his cockney accent to a deep western one really quickly, which was quite impressive  (the accent, I believe, is required of him in the movie).  Hard to say whether the film will be a good one or not.  Haley's not a kid anymore, and he sort of reminds me of Jonathan Taylor Thomas now.  In any event, it's good to see Caine in something else since The Quiet American, which he was great in.  A very underrated movie, there.  But anyway, yes, and Duvall is always great as well.  So yes, thoughts on whether or not this is worth seeing?

edison

I'll pass, don't feel like wasting my time hearing squeeky voiced ghost-seeing boy.

Cecil

Quote from: OnomatopoeiaJust curious what everyone else is thinking about this movie.

pffffffffffhahahahahahaahahahh

Ghostboy

I'm going to see it. I love Duvall and Caine, and Tim McAnalies (I just realized that his last name must have caused him hell in junior high) wrote the Iron Giant, which is awesome, and also wrote and directed Dancer Texas, pop. 81 which was pretty decent. But the main reason I'm going to see it is because the trailer completely won me over, due almost entirely to its excellent use of the awesome 'Rocketeer' score.

ono

Quote from: Cecil B. Demented
Quote from: OnomatopoeiaJust curious what everyone else is thinking about this movie.

pffffffffffhahahahahahaahahahh
I never thought people here were so cynical.

Oh wait, I forgot where I was for a second.

Sleuth

Honestly, it looks really boring, but I did enjoy Caine on Conan
I like to hug dogs

NEON MERCURY

..Man..this one looks like a dud also.. :yabbse-thumbdown:

cine

Trailer won me over too.. of course the cast is great. But I too saw Conan and Caine talking about getting the texan accent was really cool to hear. Now I was pumped to see this until they showed the clip. This is probably one of the dumbest clips to show as it looked awful. Osment saying "but theres 4 of them!!" one man down.  :o "3 of them!!" and Duvall drinks while having one in a headlock.. and Caine just commentates... I was thinking, "what... the fuck... is this..."  It looked like it was directed at 7 year olds. So I think a better clip would've been wise.
This is probably worth seeing because its clearly Osment's Puberty Breakout Film... so from a historical standpoint, you can look back and tell your kids you saw the film in theatres....... yeah.

puddnanners

I screened it for my movie house, and it was very boring and not fun to watch.  The aspect of the movie that really stands out though is how painfully awkward and untalented that Haley Joel Osment is.  His acting in this film is on a different fucking level, just way out there and unnatural.  The whole "innocent and oblivious" gig that he used in 6th sense and AI doesn't work at all when his voice is all crackly and he is tall and not a little baby kid anymore.  it creeped the hell out of me to say the least.  This could be a huge blow to Osment's career.  Duvall and Cain keep the flick afloat, but it isn't worth it, and as it usaually is, it might sadden you to watch great actors in shit movies.

Finn

did anyone go to that sneak preview last weekend?
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

pete

it actually looks pretty interesting.  I always like movies where a kid lives with crazy old dudes.  remember that Unstrung Hero movie?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Jeremy Blackman

Oh man. This looks like a Tim Allen movie.  :yabbse-thumbdown:

©brad

i must agree w/ jeremiah on this one. haley jole osnut is going thru sum serious pubertay. child stars should take a loooong vacation during those voice crackin years, come back when u got sum hair on ur nuts. my opinion.

Gold Trumpet

I enjoyed it. The movie didn't challenge me to anything otherwise. Its comedy on the level of charm and likability. And, of course, tabs must be kept up on the actors here. Osment suggests he can do more. Caine is already great and Duvall is the best actor alive. The last two don't atonish nor have to for this movie, but seeing them work is good enough.

~rougerum

Ghostboy

I finally saw this one this morning and I really enjoyed it. It's a great little family movie...not as good as, say, Whale Rider, but maybe a tad more accessible? I got pretty tear eyed there towards the end (minus the lame bookends). No need to praise the actors, who are all truly wonderful.

It also reminded me slightly of Man On The Train...mainly in the scene with the brawl with the teenagers.