The Walking Dead

Started by modage, July 22, 2010, 09:26:52 AM

uh no dude, i'm talking about martin(?) not gareth. watch again right in the middle of the first blurry fire vision, he's seen very obviously eating standing around, he looks like he has a black eye kind of, but that's about it.

Fernando

I told you guys Cutty didn't kill him! (coincidentally that guy is another David Simon alumni TWD hires, from Treme)

also my other prediction looks promising:

Quote from: Fernando on October 13, 2014, 10:49:54 PM
SPOILS

- am I the only one that thinks the guy that was beaten by Tyreese is alive?
- the creep that wanted to waste D (from the wire, cant remember his name) was alive when they left Terminus along with other two or three ppl, I'm sure that at some point they will clash again.

Just one observation, do those terminus guys have drugs or something? because if you cut a guy's leg while being k.o. doesn't seem enough to not wake up from the pain...or maybe I don't know shit about that.

can't wait for those terminus creeps to be terminated   :yabbse-smiley:

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Fernando on October 22, 2014, 12:42:24 PMJust one observation, do those terminus guys have drugs or something? because if you cut a guy's leg while being k.o. doesn't seem enough to not wake up from the pain...or maybe I don't know shit about that.

Maybe he passed out from the pain and they showed him waking up from that. You're right though, awkward plotting.

i can safely and factually say that if they cut his leg off while he was conscious or unconscious, that he would have passed out and/or gone into shock.

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

Quote from: O3 on October 22, 2014, 07:57:17 AM
uh no dude, i'm talking about martin(?) not gareth. watch again right in the middle of the first blurry fire vision, he's seen very obviously eating standing around, he looks like he has a black eye kind of, but that's about it.

guess I wasn't paying very good attention then (late night + eating of a leg = distractions galore)
yeah, they should have given him at least a broken nose and some teeth missing. doesn't seem like enough. Of course, when Cutty from the Cut fucks you up, it probably doesn't take much more than a single punch.

Jeremy Blackman

Last season was pretty good, but yeah, this is going quite well.

SPOILERS

They nailed the Terminus story arc. Shouldn't have been any shorter or longer.

Rick and company sneaking back in the church could be seen from a mile away, but it was still a satisfying payoff... and then a bit unsettling of course.

Also in the department of nailing it:

"This is the Lord's house!"
"No. It's just four walls and a roof."

Maggie's delivery sells it. Possibly the best actor on the series. (I called that last season.)

Darryl's reveal at the end was also a tad predictable. It feels silly in those moments when the suspense music swells and you're pretty sure there are 5 viewers out there who don't know what's coming.

It goes without saying, but ending the episode on a Beth cliffhanger is not the strongest option. As atonement, I would accept an entire episode about the adventure that Darryl and Carol just had. Spoiler: It ends with another Beth cliffhanger: They open the trunk to reveal Beth's bloated corpse. I guess that's not a cliffhanger.

END SPOILERS

Saw this linked on the AV Club. Just watch it:

Mel

Spoilers 5x03

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 27, 2014, 12:24:14 AM
Darryl's reveal at the end was also a tad predictable. It feels silly in those moments when the suspense music swells and you're pretty sure there are 5 viewers out there who don't know what's coming.

It goes without saying, but ending the episode on a Beth cliffhanger is not the strongest option. As atonement, I would accept an entire episode about the adventure that Darryl and Carol just had.

It is funny that for four and a half season sticking together was one of the main arcs. Now writers are splitting the group on purpose as to get more room for storytelling.

Possible spoilers for the next episode

If you look at episode name and sneak peek, next episode will be probably Beth-centric (flashback). I wouldn't be surprised if we get a glance at Darryl and Carol just at the the end of it. After that next episode could be about bus-group heading toward Washington. Cliffhanger can last much longer that it seems...
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

I would very much like that. Seems like a natural turn right now.

Anyway the Beth cliffhanger is the most non-cliffhanger of non-cliffhangers. Of course she made it back alive; why else would Daryl be smirking? Also, Carol is not one to be hidden in the bushes, so obviously it's Beth. The only twist I can anticipate is that Carol isn't with them, but that's unlikely.

Mel

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman on October 27, 2014, 11:12:47 AM
I would very much like that. Seems like a natural turn right now.

I couldn't be wrong as I was in the past and it ended up with "Well, it is just TWD".
Simple mind - simple pleasures...

Brando

SPOILS

I think it shows how much better the series has gotten that they were willing absolve the storyline with the remaining terminus people in only one episode. In previous seasons, the show would have wanted to stretch it out over a few episodes if not the first half of the season.

While terminus guy was giving his bad guy speech, I wasn't looking forward to the terminus group being the new villains. You could immediately tell this new guy wasn't up to par with the previous villains. It was like he was pretending. He thought he was a villain but he really wasn't and it turned out it was purposeful. The group eats tainted meat, they have a poor plan to attack the church and are quickly eliminated by Rick and crew. These people were completely unprepared and had no idea who they were up against.

Rick and crew are so battled tested it's hard to imagine an equal foe. In the first few seasons, the terminus group would have been too much for them but now it was almost to easy for them.

Does anyone not like the three characters heading to DC? I would have mentioned it last season but didn't think they would still be around. I would expect these type of caricatures in the comic book but not in the show. 
If you think this is going to have a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILERS

This one was a bit muddled. In fairness, so was Beth's situation, so maybe that was appropriate. The rapey stock character was not the best, though.

The episode did make me care about and root for Beth, which is sort of a monumental accomplishment.

Highlights for me were:
- Beth in her escape attempt running past the car that abducted her, with the cross in the rear window. Got chills.
- Carol at the end. You know instantly that she has something up her sleeve (perhaps literally).

Two solid reveals. Not bad.

How long will this new black actor last? And why is he not from The Wire?

polkablues

I like Beth and the actress that plays her more than most people do, so I was predisposed to cut this episode some slack. That said, the cop hospital community felt a lot like the first draft of an idea before they really thought it through and figured out how it actually worked, logically. The doctor is a great character. The cops not so much. Rapey Cop was too obvious, Chief Lady Cop didn't make much sense in action or motivation. Noah the Laundry Boy is marked for death, as soon as Beth gets out and they all reunite and she gets emotionally attached to him.

Not a bad episode, but not a strong one. I'm more looking forward to the followup, as Carol and Daryl's plan to get Beth out reveals itself. Who knows how long we have to wait for that, though.
My house, my rules, my coffee

massive spoilers

ok, i originally thought this was going to be a filler episode, similar to the last one where we get a few nuggets of good information surrounded by a story with new characters and storylines that no one has a reason to care about.

but it held up pretty strongly in my opinion. i've hated abraham and eugene and have felt genuine malice for them entering the story.
this is just me, but i enjoy walking dead as an ensemble of its original characters, i don't like taking off one week to see what andrea is doing by herself, or what beth is doing by herself. it's just never been that kind of show for me, that's not what i like or want from it.

but instead this turned out to be a very well crafted and incredibly depressing episode.
best things:

- all the suspicion i've had about eugene finally payed off, pretty beautifully. its great to look back on his behaviour and have it make perfect fucking sense.

- eugene is SO SAD. i mean, uncomfortably so.
him watching abraham have sex was almost painful to watch.
and who else felt horrible whenever he cried/whined: "get him! get him!" like a little kid at the end flashback? 

- firehose massacre and exiting the bus are definitely in the top ten zombie fights on this show.
almost iconic scenes that were executed masterfully excluding the fact that a deck gun cannot operate without the engine running.

- the abraham flashback wasnt very interesting to me at first until i realized what they were showing.
i was always confused as to why abraham was putting a RIDICULOUS amount of blind faith in eugene.

i mean, this dude has put literally everyones life on the line for this guy that he barely knows, based on something that basically anyone can claim. ( i like the girl saying 'but...but..you know how to do stuff' lol, like there is your proof!)

but seeing it in the context of abraham losing his family and just on the brink of going into psycho rick-hallucinating-lori mode and blowing his head off, someone tells him that there is hope, and his insanity just soaks it up. that actually makes sense.

the only thing that was just eye rolling stupid to me was the forced dialogue about eugenes mullet. that was such a dumb thing to talk about considering the premise and logic of the show. 'why do you wear your hair like that' is retarded the same way 'why do you have blood on you' or 'why are you eating catfood to survive' are.

also: someone help me with this, when abraham punches the bejeezus out of eugene at the end, i kind of got the impression from the music swell and the close up of his limp body and from abraham falling to his knees that eugene had been killed by the force and angle of the punches, and also because he's pretty weak. but EVERYONE is telling me that i'm crazy and he's not dead and they even discussed the characters future on talking dead. am i crazy? am i seriously the ONLY person that came to that conclusion based on the way they shot that scene?

i'm pissed that next weeks episode is the one i thought i was going to see last night, but it was still better than last weeks, and pretty damn good.