The Master references (SPOILERS)

Started by wiped_out, October 30, 2012, 11:57:07 AM

wiped_out

So I was watching this movie called Trio it came out in 1951 and its like an anthology film consisting of three stories by W. Somerset Maugham. One of the stories reminded me a bit of The Master, there is a story that takes place on an ocean liner and throughout the short, there are shots of the the ocean waves like in the Master, its more consistant though its like used as a transition between scenes. You guys gotta see it! It was on TCM a few days ago and I was struck by the reference. Also I saw Gilda a few weeks ago and I though it had a similar love triangle thing happening. A guy takes in a young drifter and the young drifter then acts like a guard dog to the older fella who took in the young drifter. However in Gilda, Glen Ford starts a romance with Rita Hayworth and there was no romance between The Master's wife and Freedie. Def, watch Trio for that cause its really uncanny I might be reaching with Gilda.

I havent read the Naked and the Dead but wasnt that about Mailer's experiances in the pacific I wonder if Paul absorbed that when he was writing the movie, Freddie at times espcially at the end reminded me of how I pictured Jack Keuorac to look like.
Again I am probably reaching..

Spoiler?: Did anyone think that The Master was gonna fuck Laura Dern's charachter, I felt like when I watched the movie Adams was a bit intimiated by her and kinda of gave him a warning/jerk off letting him know to stop.

Frederico Fellini

(This is my 1st post, so I’ll try it to make it good and informative for you guys.)

Anybody's seen the 1993 movie The Road to Wellville ?  Well it's a VERY VERY dark comedy about this cult that is obsessed with health. They do "laughing exercises" and think that "red meat and sexual activities are evil!".

In one scene Matthew Broderick imagines all the women are naked (shot just like in the Master, with that reverse shot to Broderick sitting on a wheelchair watching the naked chick)

and also Dana Carvey calls his dad a "FUCK PIG!" in one scene.

The song the master sings during the “naked lady dance” is a variation of this song  called “A-Rovin’” from John Huston’s MOBY DICK (1956)…

And Freddie fucking the sand woman reminds me of this part in EL TOPO  (Watch at 9:34):

Also, when  Freddie and The Master sit down to have their first conversation (the “what do you do?” scene), they wear something similar to what James Stewart and Kim Novak wear when they have their first conversation in VERTIGO:

There’s this scene in ANALYZE THAT  (Watch at 2:00):

That could be reaching, but could’ve also been the inspiration for the whole “that’s a pussy!” thing. No one knows but PTA.

Also, the whole “You know how to get rid of crabs? You gotta shave one testicle...” thing, is said verbatim by Jeremy Piven in the movie “I MELT WITH YOU”.. But that actually is a known old school way of getting rid of crabs, so PTA probably got it from reading old sailor’s stories.

And that’s all I got. Hopefully you guys weren’t already aware of those references and I’m bringing something new to the table.

We fought against the day and we won... WE WON.

Cinema is something you do for a billion years... or not at all.

polkablues

Quote from: Freddie on October 31, 2012, 01:03:22 PM
There's this scene in ANALYZE THAT  (Watch at 2:00):

That could be reaching, but could've also been the inspiration for the whole "that's a pussy!" thing. No one knows but PTA.

He does have weird taste in comedy, so I honestly wouldn't be that surprised.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Frederico Fellini

So I was going through some Bergman movies today and I came across something interesting:

Reminded me of that international poster for "The Master". Both are beautiful posters.

Frederico Fellini

Frederico Fellini

Apparently I'm the only one posting in this thread, but that's okay...

Most likely just a coincidence. But as soon as I saw that Poster for "Judgement at Nuremberg", it reminded me of that beautiful MASTER poster. Kinda interesting because in THE MASTER, Joaquin Phoenix looks just like Montgomery Clift.

Robyn

Quote from: Freddie on December 15, 2012, 02:23:49 PM

Have you been a member of this board before?

Frederico Fellini

HeywoodRFloyd

Quote from: KJ on December 15, 2012, 03:14:42 PM
Quote from: Freddie on December 15, 2012, 02:23:49 PM

Have you been a member of this board before?

I've been thinking the same thing KJ

Jeremy Blackman

Yes, in fact he has been. We confirmed it about a week ago. (Unless by some Christmas miracle it's another person with the same IP range living in exactly the same place.) Anyway, you can stop hiding and consider this a second chance.

socketlevel

the one last hit that spent you...

theyarelegion

It's Tyler, obviously...

http://cigsandredvines.blogspot.ie/2012/12/the-visual-references-of-master.html

^ see who is thanked for alerting them on the video in the link above.

https://twitter.com/tyler23durden/status/278949139100860416

^ the twitter account of Tyler. Note the Elvis/Bruce Lee picture......

I don't give a shit but as soon as these posts from "Freddie" started piling in it was
a sure thing.

socketlevel

I don't even know who tyler is... I only know handles.

but on that note, where is GT these days?

I know not the thread for this, but just popped up in my mind.
the one last hit that spent you...

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks