Joe Wright

Started by MacGuffin, March 12, 2009, 11:47:39 AM

pete

I still really wanna see that, but I completely disagree with GT and I think Atonement fails as a movie on very basic levels.  I do like the first half but the second half is completely empty, as each scene he begins with heavy exposition and tries to end with overwrought emotions.  it completely kills the momentum, skips the climax, and goes right to the coda, which incidentally, is more exposition.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alexandro

I haven't seen the soloist, and frankly I'm not too interested. But Atonement and Pride were not boring, he actually managed to make the "period" film exciting again and he helped Keira proves she can act.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: pete on January 08, 2010, 04:43:08 AM
I still really wanna see that, but I completely disagree with GT and I think Atonement fails as a movie on very basic levels.  I do like the first half but the second half is completely empty, as each scene he begins with heavy exposition and tries to end with overwrought emotions.  it completely kills the momentum, skips the climax, and goes right to the coda, which incidentally, is more exposition.

Well, yes, but the second half is purposely everything you say it is. In the first half, the movie is Briony's real memories so it draws on her memories with heavy details and explicit scenes that are poetic and avvoid the trappings of any recognizable cliche. Then when the story transitions into all the character's later lives and Briony personally knows that tragedy just befalls the two main characters in no heroic or redeemable way, she creates a fictional account to make their plight look more endearing. Things Briony has done has led them to their ends so she feels responsible to create a better ending for them in any way that she can so she writes a new account of their passing, with the purpose of doing so to try to give their second lives (the one after death, for the greater public) a better ending, but since it is not the truth and artificial, it keeps Briony herself from ever being happy and being able to wash the feelings of guilt away. It also leaves the reader of her book (or audience, in this case) unfufilled because we can tell it is artificial.

But the film just doesn't end on her artificial story. It ends with an interview of Briony done in real time late into her life. She's able to draw back on memories and reflect on her decision making through everything she has done (in life and art) so the film ends by fully coming back to Briony herself, which allows the audience to reflect on both parts of the story. It keeps the second half in context because it doesn't make it the full payoff. The similarity to Full Metal Jacket is that film begins with a rough bootcamp scenario and transitions to Vietnam with expectation that things will just get rougher, but all Joker finds is his sense of boredom in Vietnam because he's not in the thick of infantry fire. He still believes he has the killer instinct because he survived boot camp, but when he can barely handle a lone sniper later on, he finds out that boot camp did very little to prepare him for anything, but the point of his Vietnam experience being watered down and not very exciting (thus disappointing audience expectations) is to give comment on the first half of the film. In its own way, Atonement's second half artificiality gives comment to its first half as well.

MacGuffin

Eric Bana to play Saoirse Ronan's father in 'Hanna'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Eric Bana is going back to action movie territory.

The actor is in negotiations to star opposite Saoirse Ronan in "Hanna," Focus' tale of a teenage assassin being directed by Joe Wright.

Bana will play Ronan's father in the story of a 14-year-old Eastern European girl saved from a CIA breeding camp and raised by her dad to be a cold-blooded killing machine. After finding peace with a French family, the girl is dragged back to her father's world, and she must fight her way to a free life.

Leslie Holleran, Marty Adelstein and Scott Nemes are producing.

Seth Lochhead and David Farr worked on the script.

WME-repped Bana last appeared in Judd Apatow's dramedy "Funny People" and the romancer "The Time Traveler's Wife." However, the Aussie made his American movie mark in such films as "The Hulk" and sword-and-sandal epic "Troy" and gained his action spy movie cred with "Black Hawk Down" and "Munich."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

matt35mm

Uh, he also last appeared in Star Trek.  Why are they making it sound like he's taken some hiatus from action movies?

MacGuffin

Working Title developing live 'Mermaid'
English-language live-action adaptation with Joe Wright
Source: Hollywood Reporter

LONDON -- Working Title Films is teaming with director Joe Wright to develop a live-action movie version of Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale "The Little Mermaid."

The script -- for what will be the first English-language live-action adaptation of the tale -- has been penned by Abi Morgan ("Brick Lane") for Working Title and Wright.

It tells the classic tale of a young mermaid who gives up her life in the sea to love a human prince.

Andersen's story was first published in 1837 and has been adapted numerous times for stage and screen. Wright's version is inspired by a children's puppet theatre production of the classic at London's Little Angel Theatre Company, backers said.

Working Title's co-chairmen Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner announced the plans.

The project brings Wright back into the Working Title stable having made his first three movies with them, "Pride & Prejudice," "Atonement" and "The Soloist."

Wright is currently in post-production on the Saoirse Ronan, Cate Blanchett and Eric Bana starrer "Hanna" for Focus Features.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Joe Wright To Direct 'Anna Karenina' For Focus With Keira Knightley As Lead
Source: Deadline

It's official: Atonement director Joe Wright and star Keira Knightley are reteaming for Anna Karenina, the Working Title films adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's novel that was written by Tom Stoppard. The film will be distributed by Focus Features in the U.S. and Universal Pictures International worldwide sometime in the second half of 2012. Working Title co-chairs Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner are producing with Paul Webster; the trio were 2008 Oscar nominees as producers of Atonement.

Knightley will star as Anna, Jude Law will play her husband Aleksei Karenin, and Aaron Johnson (Nowhere Boy) will play Count Vronsky. Kelly Macdonald, Matthew Macfadyen, Domhnall Gleeson, Alicia Vikander, Emily Watson, Olivia Williams and Ruth Wilson also have been cast in the story of a woman making her way in early-19th-century Russian high society. It's familiar territory for Wright, who directed the period adaptations Pride & Prejudice and Atonement, also for Working Title and Focus; he also directed The Soloist for Working Title and UPI and most recently Hanna for Focus.

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Focus Features, Playtone Acquire Neil Gaiman's New Novel For Joe Wright To Helm
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Focus Features and Playtone partners Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman are closing a deal to acquire the new Neil Gaiman novel The Ocean At The End Of The Lane. Joe Wright is being attached to direct, and his Shoebox Films partner Paul Webster is coming aboard to produce with Hanks and Goetzman. The film will be a co-production between Playtone and Shoebox.

The Ocean At The End of the Lane will be published in June by William Morrow. According to jacket copy, it's about about memory and magic and survival, about the power of stories and the darkness inside each of us. The narrator describes a tale that begins when he was seven and a lodger stole the family's car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed. Creatures from beyond the world are on the loose, and it will take everything our narrator has just to stay alive: there is primal horror here, and a menace unleashed — within his family, and from the forces that have gathered to destroy it. His only defense is three women, on a ramshackle farm at the end of the lane. The youngest of them claims that her duckpond is an ocean. The oldest can remember the Big Bang.

That sounds promising and hey, it's Gaiman, whose works include American Gods, Sandman, The Graveyard Book, all of which are getting made. He was also behind Coraline, which Focus Features turn into an animated hit.

Wright teamed with Focus Features on his last two films, Anna Karenina and Hanna, and before that Pride & Prejudice.

Playtone is adapting Gaiman's American Gods as a series for HBO, and the production company just won five Emmy Awards for Game Change, and Playtone is currently producing the Peter Landesman-directed feature Parkland.

CAA repped the package.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Sleepless

Neil Gaiman recently announced that Joe Wright is in the process of developing his latest book, The Ocean at the End of the Lane, as his next movie.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

pete

joe wright is the other marc forester
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

MacGuffin

Joe Wright In Talks To Helm 'Pan' For Warner Bros
BY MIKE FLEMING JR | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Joe Wright is negotiating to direct Pan, the Jason Fuchs-scripted take on the Peter Pan myth. This is all just coming together. Greg Berlanti is producing under his Berlanti Productions banner. Sarah Schechter is the executive on the adaptation of the J.M. Barrie classic tale.

An orphan is taken to the magical world of Neverland, where he becomes the savior of the natives and leads a rebellion against the evil pirates. Wright last directed Anna Karenina and before that Hanna and Atonement. He's repped by CAA and Independent Talent Group. Fuchs is repped by WME and Brookside Artist Management.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Alexandro

"Pan", what an incredibly dumb fucking name.

Sleepless

Boy, I hope this doesn't get panned by the critics. Hopefully this falls to the wayside a la Fifty Shades.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

Fuck it. Joe Wright directing a full-on fantasy epic? I'm all in. Haters form a line to the left.

Also:
Quote from: Sleepless on November 13, 2013, 01:37:46 PM
Boy, I hope this doesn't get panned by the critics.
I see what you did there.
My house, my rules, my coffee