Mattress Man Commercial

Started by jonas, June 24, 2003, 08:39:55 PM

jonas

Wow, did I laugh my ass off. That guitar shattered real nice.

Now, who thinks that fall was staged or real?

I honestly can't tell. I don't think Phil Hoffman would want to take a spill like that.

I'm guessing Half/Half. I think he was supposed to fall, but not that rough.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

picolas

if it was real, don't you think that people other than the brothers would've run to help him?

Something Spanish

Sorry to spoil the fun (admin note: do not read unless you want the fun to be spoiled), fellas, but I asked Hoffman this question after the Q&A at BAM. He said, to my surprise, that it was staged. They cut just as they zoom out of his face and a stunt man performs the drop. They cut PSH back in as he is lying on the floor.

jonas

Quote from: Shaun DigiSorry to spoil the fun, fellas, but I asked Hoffman this question after the Q&A at BAM. He said, to my surprise, that it was staged. They cut just as they zoom out of his face and a stunt man performs the drop. They cut PSH back in as he is lying on the floor.

If that's the case, then that's a damn good job.

Still funny as hell.
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" - Dr. Strangelove

Duck Sauce

Yeah, thats a perfect cut. Seamless. He doesnt fall all the way off, he kind of bounces, then lands on the mattress again and slides down and lands on his left foot

filmcritic

Oh, it's hysterical! I've seen it like 7 times now. Very funny, I'm not sure whether it's real or not but it doesn't matter to me. It's short and entertaining.
"You're too kind."
-Richard Roeper

"You're too cruel."
-Roger Ebert

dufresne

i just watched this shit 5 times in a row.  funny as fuck.
There are shadows in life, baby.

Sigur Rós

How did they do it without PSH getting hurt?

chainsmoking insomniac

Pretty convincing.  I voted Real.... :cry:
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

fulty

I think it was staged simply because it would be lame if he didn't fall.
I didn't notice the double splice mentioned above, I'll have to check that out in slo-mo.
But the landing area is in a shadow, so maybe a cushion or something is there to soften the blow.
It sure looked real.  Well done..!!
Tinapop  

I used to be smart.... now I'm just stupid.

Duck Sauce

As much as I would like to think its real, if PSH really fell that far everybody on the set would be running towards him, I mean look at the set up, he was meant to fall. They wouldnt put mattresses on a car next to a semitruck

chainsmoking insomniac

Naturally the mattresses had to be there (this was to ensure his character not hurting himself)...that doesn't mean the entire thing was staged though...

Although an earlier post said it was, which I tend to believe now...
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

BackUpOffMeFoo

Quote from: Duck SauceI mean look at the set up, he was meant to fall. They wouldnt put mattresses on a car next to a semitruck

Yeah... It doesnt make any sense... Why would the D&D matress man have matresses in his commercial.

Brilliant observation.
Serious?

Tictacbk

No way thats a cut to a stuntman.

Jeremy Blackman

SPOILER WARNING

Watch PSH transform into the stuntman:

Is this where the second cut happens?