What are you favorite Top 5 Movies of all time?

Started by Thecowgoooesmooo, January 23, 2003, 05:03:10 PM

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Pas RapportWhat do you mean she's ok ? She's cool as ice, ask SoNowThen and JJ if you don't believe me
I have no opinion in this matter.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pas Rapport
Quote from: Lucinda BryteWell I haven't seen many movies (compared to a lot of you)... But I will post my favorites:

A Clockwork Orange
Memento
Gone with the Wind
Schindler's List
Mulholland Dr.

omg this girl is so cool, what do you think SoNowThen ? Isn't she cool ?

I'm sorry, did I put a burr in your ass over something I did indirectly? Why the hardcore sarcasm?

If you must know, I think Clockwork is worthy of being on a list such as this. Certainly not the other four. IMO. But really, who cares?

Cool.Cool.Cool.Cool. -- those were for you, Pas.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pas

SoNowThen

Y'know, like "piss you off", or "insult you".
That kinda thing.

I think it's somewhat of a hick term.

ie. "Joe-Bob, you sure put a burr in my ass when you shot my cow by accident."
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ShanghaiOrange

I think this is correct now :(
1. Brazil
2. The Big Lebowski
3. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly  
4. Apocalypse Now
5. Taxi Driver
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey  
7. The Seven Samurai  
8. Rashomon  
9. The Royal Tenenbaums
10. Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SoNowThenie. "Joe-Bob, you sure put a burr in my ass when you shot my cow by accident."
Dude...you kick ass....I am laughin' mad over here. :lol:

tomtick

I'm sorry, I tried to narrow it down to 10 even.
My top 30 in no particular order:
1. Brazil
2. Spirit of the Beehive
3. Vertigo
4. Dead Ringers
5. Nights of Caberia  
6. Punch Drunk Love    
7. 8 ½
8. Mon Oncle       
9. 2001: A Space Odyssey
10. 400 Blows
11. Goodfellas
12. Psycho
13. Blade Runner
14. Dr Strangelove: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
15. Blood Simple
16. In the Mood For Love
17. Weekend
18. Mulholland Drive
19. Il Posto
20. Braindead
21. Apocalypse Now
22. Cremaster 3
23. Seventh Seal
24. The Graduate
25. Blue Velvet
26. Exorcist
27. The Passion of Joan of Arc
28. Red
29. Magnolia
30. The Thin Red Line

luctruff

i must say this is incredibly evil of anyone to demand a top five...i will list five, but will surely be pissed at myself later for not including "this movie", so here i go:
"Last Tango in Paris"
"Amelie"
"Magnolia"
"Fanny and Alexander"
"Jules and Jim"

I have far more films waiting to be thrown out there, but i will adhere to the rules here for once and there you go
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes out something old! Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

Spike

1) Once Upon A Time in America
2) Magnolia
3) Fight Club
4) The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring / The Two Towers
5) Boogie Nights
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Find Your Magali

Quote from: Spike1) Once Upon A Time in America

Nice pick. This is a haunting and endlessly fascinating film for me.

AK

A clock work orange- the best movie made by the biggest genious from this art.

Taxi driver- movie that made me be a filmmaker at age 9

Magnolia- movie that reaffirmed my decision at age 18

PDL/ In the mood for love/ Jules et Jim- Trilogy that makes me believe THERE IS LOVE somewhere

Pierrot Le Fou - movie i had been obliged to watch my entire life but i learnt to love

Rushmore- the movie that puts a smile upon my face over and over again

Mulholland Dr- movie that makes me wanna be 15min inside Lynch's head a lá Malkovich....

SoNowThen

Quote from: AKPierrot Le Fou - movie i had been obliged to watch my entire life but i learnt to love

Why obliged?

Pwaybloe

SoNowThen

Quote from: PawbloeBy gunpoint.  It's common these days.

If necessary, that's how I plan to show people my love for Godard.

Something Spanish

Off the top of my head...these are five in a pool of thousands

Angels With Dirty Faces
Punch-Drunk Love
Amarcord
Mother's Day
The Big Chill