Django Unchained

Started by MacGuffin, March 27, 2011, 10:14:40 PM

New Feeling

While I like the concept and enjoyed most of the scenes, in the end I thought this was a pretty lackluster reading experience.  I'm sure it'll be pretty awesome once translated to the screen but as a huge fan of all of QTs work I think this is going to be a small step down in quality, much the same way I feel about TWBB in the PTA filmography.  It's an interesting continuation of the historical thing he started with Basterds, emphasized by casting Waltz as Schultz which seems inescapable and makes for an interesting counterpoint to Landa.  I think casting Will Smith makes sense when you consider Pitt as Aldo Raine and that perhaps Quentin is keen to work with the mega-stars of the time, that said I really hope he casts someone else.  I'm hoping that this is just the second of a "history trilogy" with Waltz and maybe next time he'll get DiCaprio who apparently he has a hard-on for.

The problems for me are mostly with Broomhilda and Candie and Stephen, who are all good characters but don't really come to life.  With the right actors they could all be great I suppose.  I'm especially excited at the possibility of Samuel L. Jackson getting to do some real acting again as Stephen.  And even worse are the rest of the "villains" who seem more or less interchangeable.  But most problematic is that I feel the same way about Django himself, he's pretty awesome in the early going but as he becomes more talented and self-assured he just kinda becomes genreic hero material.  It felt like the whole thing kinda jumped the shark at the big turning point, but then I also realize Quentin will probably add a lot of texture to the last act during production. 

still expect this to be a contender for best film of 2012. 

Reel

Quote from: New Feeling on May 07, 2011, 10:05:34 PM
as a huge fan of all of QTs work I think this is going to be a small step down in quality, much the same way I feel about TWBB in the PTA filmography. 

New Feeling

yeah well I realize that's the most controversial opinion in this world the last few years but there you go it's how I feel

Stefen

GO TO HELL!

You know what? I'd be okay with Wil Smif. Why not? He hasn't done a good movie in years but is still the biggest movie star ever. He could do something cool and still be the biggest star ever. Even if this bombs his rep is intact. He would do it. He isn't an idiot.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Satcho9

Thanks @ Reelist & Theyareligion for the PDF!

One more request: Can anyone get Will Smith to pass?

polkablues

Our only chance is to convince Spielberg to ditch DDL and cast Will Smith as Lincoln, like we've always known he should.
My house, my rules, my coffee

P Heat

Quote from: New Feeling on May 07, 2011, 10:05:34 PM
While I like the concept and enjoyed most of the scenes, in the end I thought this was a pretty lackluster reading experience.  I'm sure it'll be pretty awesome once translated to the screen but as a huge fan of all of QTs work I think this is going to be a small step down in quality, much the same way I feel about TWBB in the PTA filmography.  It's an interesting continuation of the historical thing he started with Basterds..

EFF outta here with that opinion. Bastereds is Q.T's worst by far and it doesn't look like this new one will be good neither (you never know though). All of P.T's works are perfect. bold statement but i think a few people here agree =]
Quote from: Pubrick on September 11, 2012, 06:33:41 PM
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.
:P

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

If most internet polls didn't turn so pathetic I would do a “least favorite qt/pta” one. I'm curious.
ps Death Proof/Magnolia
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

Reel

Quote from: sundown all over on May 08, 2011, 04:30:41 AM
ps Death Proof/Magnolia

Fair enough.. it's crazy how much flack Magnolia has been getting around here these days. It's certainly what brought me to this site, and it'll always have that special little place in my heart somewhere. I guess it just took us some years to get past that first impression that it was the best movie of all time.

To say that Basterds and TWBB are a step down in quality is an outrageous statement...retarded really.

P Heat

Why does only Q.T's thread stay active :yabbse-undecided:

btw who actually thinks basterds was good?  it was o.k but seriously a downer after the 1st viewing.
anyway it was after i posted my first serious fanalysis. after the long post all he could say was that the main reason he wanted to see the master was cos of all the red heads.

The Perineum Falcon

I did. I love Basterds. I'm one of the few who actually think it's one of Tarantino's best.

I also enjoyed Death Proof, for what it's worth.

I haven't read this script yet, but the concept interests me, and I'm excited to see what's to come of it, especially with this casting.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Mr. Merrill Lehrl

Quote from: The Perineum Falcon on May 08, 2011, 02:46:56 PM
I did. I love Basterds. I'm one of the few who actually think it's one of Tarantino's best.

I also enjoyed Death Proof, for what it's worth.

So what's your least favorite?

Quote from: P Heat on May 08, 2011, 02:31:26 PM
Why does only Q.T's thread stay active :yabbse-undecided:

Get your hands on the Inherent Vice script!
"If I had to hold up the most heavily fortified bank in America," Bolaño says, "I'd take a gang of poets. The attempt would probably end in disaster, but it would be beautiful."

P Heat

LOL. I have the e-book and the audio book for it. If PT wants the script private so be it i don't mind.

would like that picture of him using that 2001 cam though..

Reel

I'd say my least fav. of Tarantino's is Kill Bill Vol. 2. It's convoluted, overlong, anti-climactic, and boring. I've tried to like it many times and have only succeeded in liking parts. Like the trailer brawl, that parts good. Once the third one comes out I'll be able to watch it all as a whole and get much more satisfaction out of it. Tarantino's stuff just grows on me. I don't get what you said about Basterds being a 'downer' after the first time, P heat. I like it more every time I see it, new connections are drawn, the dialogue starts to make more sense. Everything about that movie I find enjoyable as fuck.

MacGuffin

Foreign For Quentin Tarantino's 'Django Unchained' Goes To Will Smith's Home Studio Sony (Even Though Universal Tried Hard)
BY NIKKI FINKE | Deadline

EXCLUSIVE: Sources tell me that international on Quentin Tarantino's new Spaghetti Western Django Unchained is going to Sony to co-finance production later this year and distribute sometime in 2012. This after the filmmakers met with every major studio except Warner Bros. Of course, The Weinstein Company is taking domestic. But the surprise is that Universal International didn't have the inside track since it co-financed and took overseas on Tarantino's last film, Inglourious Basterds, in a very successful pairing ($201M international for a global cume of $321M). Actually, Universal really wanted Quentin's latest and tried to really step up. There was a big meeting this past Friday between Universal International and Quentin where the foreign guys went to extraordinary lengths to pull out all the stops. Employees wore T-shirts emblazoned with the languages of all the managing directors of the territories in town. And a bag of handmade scalps was presented to Tarantino --a reference to the "100 Nazi scalps" from Inglourious Basterds to remind Quentin how well the studio did for that movie last time around. Instead, Django Unchained went to Sony because of its existing relationship with Will Smith, whom Quentin desperately wants to star in the film. "Having Will involved is the key. That's what the filmmakers want, and they think the best chance of making it happen is at his home studio," an insider tells me.

UPDATE: Right now, Will is still pondering his role as a slave in the script, which I just read and would be a very risky project for the actor, who's known for carefully controlling his professional persona. Other top-flight casting will start immediately. The film is a take-off on the Sergio Leone/Eastwood "Man With No Name" films. According to the script, it's not a Spaghetti Western remake or reboot but a brand new story with a similar character and similar stylized violence from those 1960s films. Tarantino's Pulp Fiction producer Stacey Sher will produce with Pilar Savone and Harvey Weinstein. Getting the WME-repped Tarantino back behind the camera is another boost for the rebounding TWC.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks