Party Monster

Started by MacGuffin, July 18, 2003, 11:49:48 AM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Jeremy Blackman

Wow.

Could be really good or really bad.

mindfuck

The website sure sucks balls though.

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanWow.

Could be really good or really bad.

I say that about every damn movie I see a preview for.

Nick

Satcho9

I met the DP Teo Maniaci and he seemed to be a little weirded out over this movie when I asked him about it. Otherwise he was a cool guy. Thats all.

cinemanarchist

I caught this at Sundance this past year. I thought the film was lackluster overall. Seth Green is tremendous and Culkin is horrible. The kid/man just doesn't have any range. As much as I wanted to forget this was Kevin McCallister(Home Alone), I just couldn't because his acting doesn't really go far past that. The film is shot digital and doesn't look very good at all...not nearly as good as 28 days later. It should also tell you something that this film was just recently picked up and has been screening at festivals for quite some time now. Both Culkin and Green were at the screening and man...Seth Green is like four feet tall. It has nothing to do with the topic, but just felt it needed to be said. There is a great cameo by Marilyn Manson as a drag queen. In one scene he/she drives around this portable rave in the back of an 18 wheeler. That was a great scene, too bad the rest of the film wasn't that much fun...oh and it's based on a true story.
My assholeness knows no bounds.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

true story?  now i must see it...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

oakmanc234

Watching 'The Good Son' the other night reminded me how fucking cool a kid Culkin was. Cool little dude. I like 'The Good Son'. A minor but under-rated flick (and not the 'Omen' clone that it was reputed to be), he played his 'nasty little shit' role unbelievably well. I'm not too sure how to feel about 'Party Monster' yet, it could be a suprise...and it could be dogshit. The poster makes me feel sick though......
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Jeremy Blackman

If Culkin isn't any better in the movie than he is in the trailer, I'm probably going to hate it. How did he become so... annoying?

He should just let his brothers take over the spotlight. They're great actors.

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanIf Culkin isn't any better in the movie than he is in the trailer, I'm probably going to hate it. How did he become so... annoying?

He should just let his brothers take over the spotlight. They're great actors.
i think it's that he's the only one who wasn't born male.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

This movie looks like shit.

It looks like a bad Public Access channel soap opera.

Culkin should not be acting if he's gonna be this aweful.

Ghostboy

I finally saw this last night. It's a'ight. Fun for the first hour, or so, and then it just gets rather tedious. We know how it ends up, due to the bookends at the beginning (a structural device that is used in movies far too frequently), so it just becomes a waiting game.

I did like Culkin's performance, though -- it was one-note and eventually annoying, but that's what was required by the character. Who knows if he has range, but he was perfect for this part. Seth Green is also really good. Chole Sevigny is Chloe Sevigny (almost). I didn't even recognize Natash Lyonne, though. She really disguised herself well.

At the screening I went to (it's only now about to open in Dallas), there were about 200 people waiting in line to get into the theater, many of them all gussied up, Club Kids style, and none of them got in. I love press passes.

godardian

I'm going to see it next Tuesday. It looks pretty terrible to me, but... it'll be interesting to see how it actually is.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

cowboykurtis

saw it at sundance...complete garbage.
...your excuses are your own...

Cecil

i saw this yesterday too. its allright.