Why do you make movies?

Started by TheVoiceOfNick, October 17, 2003, 12:46:44 PM

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: Pto meet chicks.

...amen...

grand theft sparrow

Mr. Blume: What's the secret, Max?
Max Fischer: The secret?
Mr. Blume: Yeah, you seem to have it pretty figured out.
Max Fischer: The secret, I don't know... I guess you've just gotta find something you love to do and then... do it for the rest of your life. For me, it's going to Rushmore.

Making movies is my Rushmore.

socketlevel

stories, it's all about the stories.  i don't care if i read a book, listen to a song, talk to a friend, hear a joke, or watch a flick, i love indulging in stories.  i feel i've got a couple to tell as well.  as you may have noticed my spelling is horrible, so one of my options is ruled out.  i can't play any instrument, another off the list.  i think visually so that was the next logical step.  i started off at a young age attracted to the actors but soon realized i cared more about the unraveling of the plot, and often thought how i could make certain films better.

i also came to realize that popular films/music were better shortly before i was born.  in the last two decades the art has been taken out of the business, and it's sad.  film's (and all art for that matter) primary function is to speak messages of discord to the norm.  once we've totally lost that paramount characteristic then our jaded culture (and lack there of) will be lost forever.  more columbines and more apathy to go around.  it is our release, and shouldn't always be entertainment.

i want to make film to help expose and change things that i feel are wrong with society.  i know it's idealistic and sounds pretentious, but i've seen films that have done this in the past for me.  like: JFK, Ordinary People, Contempt, They Live, Brazil, Dawn of the Dead, and others.  without any message what's the point.  i love entertainment, but fear it's festering ability to bring about mediocrity and complacency.

-sl-
the one last hit that spent you...