How do they do this in films?

Started by Spike, April 16, 2003, 09:31:58 AM

Spike

For example, when two persons in a film are speaking to each other, you can see cuts between their faces.
Is it right, that the filmmakers for example shoot the whole scene with the camera on the one and then do the scene one more time with the camer on the other face. And in the post-production they cut it in the right way together - is that right?
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

Raikus

Usually that's the case. Sometimes though they'll use two cameras and film each angle at the same time.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

aclockworkjj

Depending on how you are shooting it, both ways will work....at times though you need to be careful not to break 180 degrees as it will change the perspective of each subject...

RegularKarate

Crossing the line was considered hip in the early nineties... like on Homicide (the show, not the Mamet flick), that's one of the reasons I really didn't like that show.

Cecil

sphinx

spike: it's called shooting coverage

imagine two people facing each other, standing 2 metres apart.  also imagine a line going straight through the center of their bodies off into infinity (so it looks like they're on a cabob).

when cutting the scene, if the angles are standard, you can't cross the cabob, or everything will appear reversed and your audience will explode

in conclusion don't combust your audience

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Cecil

oh, yeah.... THAT line. well sure, if you dont want your audience to "combust"

aclockworkjj

I think I might have to break the 180 line now, cause I am dying to see an audience combust!  

Serious, yeah, that's exactly it...if you shoot from 2 different sides, anything noticeable in the background (a prop, point of reference) will flip sides as well....not a huge deal, but it's just a continuity thing...thats why, say 2 people talking...one is over one's right shoulder and the other shot is over the other person's left shoulder (assuming they are facing one another)...

Sleuth

I thought this was called a reversal
I like to hug dogs