soul coughing

Started by Jeremy Blackman, November 29, 2004, 09:14:10 PM

Jeremy Blackman

Does anybody like Soul Coughing? Has anybody heard Soul Coughing?

My favorites are "Bus to Beelzebub" and "Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago."

pete

I remember two years ago they did "American Girl" with River Cuomo and frat kids were playing it everywhere.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Sleuth

I remember "Soundtrack to Mary" and "Super Bon Bon" from the radio a long time ago.  Then Cartoon Network once had a commercial with "Rolling" set to an old cartoon character race.  Once, I heard a cool noir-y song from them on a college station, but I don't know the name of it.  Didn't the singer look like David Cross.  Oh yeah, also "Circles" was kind of popular for a while.  Yes, I like Soul Coughing, and if no one else responds I'll be dissapointed
I like to hug dogs

modage

Quote from: peteI remember two years ago they did "American Girl" with River Cuomo and frat kids were playing it everywhere.
yeah that was on the Meet the Deedles sntk.  now theres a film.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

RegularKarate

Weird... I really thought they were more popular than this.

by that I mean more popular than people barely remember a handfull of songs.

I have been into them since the first album until the last (with the beautifully simple artwork by Jim Woodring).  Shit, I even listen to Doughty's solo work every now and again.

I used them for the soundtrack to two of the short films I did for film school.

Good stuff... surprised they're not remembered as much.

Jeremy Blackman

Jeremy Blackman

I just heard "Super Bon Bon." Oh my God it's a beautiful song.

Quote from: SleuthOnce, I heard a cool noir-y song from them on a college station, but I don't know the name of it.
Is it "Disseminated" or "Knots"?

life_boy

I've given Soul Coughing a couple of tries but had a real hard time enjoying them.  The music just seemed really jarring to me.  I first tried Irresistible Bliss and just couldn't dig it.  I thought maybe it was that album so I tried El Oso and I couldn't get into that either.  That was a while back so maybe my tastes have changed some.  I don't know.

Do any fans have any particular Soul Coughing starting points for potential listeners/enjoyers like myself?

Pubrick

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanSo why didn't my Atticus Fault thread get any responses?
it was a christian band.
under the paving stones.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: life_boyDo any fans have any particular Soul Coughing starting points for potential listeners/enjoyers like myself?
Try "Bus to Beelzebub." That was my first Soul Coughing song, and it worked.

I was highly suspicious of their lyrics at first, but I've learned to love them. If nothing else, think of it as humor. I mean really, how do you hear a song like "Super Bon Bon" and not think it's funny?

Sleuth

Quote from: Jeremy BlackmanI just heard "Super Bon Bon." Oh my God it's a beautiful song.

Quote from: SleuthOnce, I heard a cool noir-y song from them on a college station, but I don't know the name of it.
Is it "Disseminated" or "Knots"?

BLYYYY DON'T KNOW
I like to hug dogs

Jeremy Blackman

WELL THAT'S YOUR FAULT

Sleuth

It's not Disseminated and I can't find the other one
I like to hug dogs