Magical Bruce Lee cinematic moments

Started by Bruce Lee, March 27, 2004, 09:38:41 AM

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: CinephileI didn't read that. Can someone tell me if I need to?

Let me condense it for you...

Quote from: NEON MERCURYonce i got sodomized by a ruler during geometry class . . . master sheguioshi took me aside and massage my back w/ spiritual oils and even took me to the mcDonals next door to get a hambuger w/ no mustard and a strawberry shake and two medium fries

pete

you've watched a lot of bruce lee, but have very little idea what he's talking about, because you have very little context in understanding what he's saying.  if bruce taught wing chun under the banner "jun fan kungfu", then why didn't he just teach that version of it (or what he's taught Ted Wong)?  It's because JKD is NOT kungfu, it's not an art, and it's not a style.  It's just a learning process.  You can't "master" JKD the same way you master a system.  Under JKD, an entirely different process of training (ideally anyways), there is no such thing as "style", therefore, there's no such thing as "wing chun kicks karate's ass", not that the claim will have any basis under any other system.  What if the wing chun guy's 80 years old and the karate guy is 20?  What if the wing chun guy's only been studying for 3 months and the karate guy is a 4-th dan?  

"Fighting" is not as simple as pitting wing chun against karate--if it's in a ring, then there are rules that are inherently biased, if it's outside a ring (eg. "the streets"/ "the bars"...etc.) then there are any number of things that could influence it.  You can throw a chair.  You can pull a muscle.  The bouncers/ cops/ bystanders can break up the fighers or join in.  There is no way you can determine a punch is "wing chun" or "karate" in a real fight either, ring or otherwise.  They might have discernable stances, but that's basically it.  A punch is a punch man, as Bruce's said, unless you have three arms and six legs, how are you going to fight "stylistically"?

and this is only the like first most elementary truth to martial arts--that style is a tool, it depends on the fighter.  

Quote from: Bruce Lee...or else that would mean any joe blogs could master JKD within a few years.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Bruce Lee

^Are you retarded? because it definatley seems so...

He taught Wing Chun; which is part of kung fu.
His classes were called 'Jun Fan Kung Fu' because one of Bruce Lee's chinese name interpretations is 'LEE JUN FAN' hence the name.

...oooh what is Yip Man teaching Bruce there?!?? could it be Wing Chun?....yesssss

hmmm what is Bruce practising on that wooden dummy in the kung fu outfit??!???oh yes its Wing Chun

whats Bruce teaching there to his student with his Jun Fan Gung Fu logo on the wall????? ahhh its the basic forms of wing chun

Quoteit's not an art
...erm its a martial art

QuoteWhat if the wing chun guy's 80 years old and the karate guy is 20?
Wing Chun was founded by an old woman who used to challenge men or women of any age or size.

QuoteWhat if the wing chun guy's only been studying for 3 months and the karate guy is a 4-th dan?
..thats why i said karate MASTER and kung-fu MASTER

QuoteThere is no way you can determine a punch is "wing chun" or "karate" in a real fight either, ring or otherwise.
any white belt karate person would be able to know his wing chun punch from a karate punch, street or ring.

Quotehow are you going to fight "stylistically"?
by using a set pattern of defence and attack

QuoteA punch is a punch man
jeez why don't you tell all those millions of people who've joined various martial arts groups

if you're going to speak shite, please do it else where.

cine

Quote from: Bruce Leehmmm what is Bruce practising on that wooden dummy in the kung fu outfit??!???
for the record, the wooden dummy is not wearing a kung fu outfit.

pete

man, here I am, busting your ass like a baked potato, but you just ignore all that and come back with some pictures and lecturing me about how wing chun is a martial art.
you obviously have no clue what I'm saying, I try to break it down for you each time, but you just come back with more pictures and quotes.
I never denied that Bruce studied wing chun, but JKD is NOT a martial art in that it's not a system, not a product,  and it's not wing chun, it's a martial art in a sense that it seeks to better understand expression of power, but the entire time you've been talking about JKD like it's the crane kick from karate kid, the five-point exploding palm technique.  It's a philosophy, "a process. "<= I didn't make that up.  Hmm I wonder who made it up, oh right, BRUCE LEE.

If Bruce Lee is too "deep" for you, then how about your own sifu Chris Kent?  Check this out, B:
"JKD cannot be taught as any other martial art can be, because there are no rules. There is no set number of forms, movements, or set number of techniques that you use against another technique."

And you've misread, I didn't say the founder of wing chun was 80, I said what if the fighter who used wing chun was 80.
If you wanna talk about "master vs. master", then first of all, how do you define a "master"?  Secondly, is a fight between two "masters" gonna be exempt of all the 100s of variables of a street fight?
Thirdly, even if five more million kids start martial arts today, it wouldn't have made any difference, you join a school based on YOUR preference, it's not chess, where karate always beats boxing, and wing chun always beats karate.  And guess who actually came up with the idea that "a punch is a punch"?  OH THAT'S RIGHT, BRUCE FREAKING LEE.

Here, this is what your man has to say about styles (psst, I don't think he believes in them).

Your technique is puzzling me; it's like your face is smashing into my hand.  Please stop my hand is starting to hurt.
- Buster Keaton

Bruce Lee

I'll go niiiiiice and sl-o-w as to answer your jibberish

QuoteJKD is NOT a martial art in that it's not a system

''JKD is the only non  classical Gung-Fu SYSTEM in exsistence today'' !!!!!!!

''JKD has long since been known as the STYLE of no STYLE, but this term has been overused and to a great extent exaggerated to 'allow' others to teach JKD without using actual Jeet Kune Do Techniques under the guise of defining the ART as anything you want to make it....The ART...''

I think i have the 'World Jeet Kune Do Federation' to back me up that your talking shite. - http://www.leejkd.com/main.html

Quote"JKD cannot be taught as any other martial art can be, because there are no rules
once again the JKD federation would have something to say about that.

Quote"a punch is a punch"? OH THAT'S RIGHT, BRUCE FREAKING LEE.
its philosophy man, it just means that any punch hurts like a punch but if this was true why did Bruce during all his JKD time learn 'Bil-Jee', 'palm strikes', 'vertical fist punch', 'hook punch'....etc

Jeet Kune Do is NOT do what comes naturaly or improvise, its being able to utilise the 3 modifications of the core of JKD; Wing Chun, French fencing  and Western/american boxing.[/code]

pete

now you're just angrily blabbering and contradicting your own sifu (Chris Kent) and your own personal idol (me).
I never said JKD is an improvised-free-for-all.  but now you've got a website that directly challenges its own founder ("while continuing to deny that JKD was a 'style'...but if he gave so little importance to his name why would he want it on his grave marker") as well as its own lineage Dan Inasonto.
but forget all that, look at the set of techniques they teach.  alright, siu lum tao, that's wing chun...wait, wait, what's this?  HOOK KICK?  SPINNING HOOK KICK?  Whoa.  I think I saw a KARATE guy doing that!
And it's a website that allows you to become an "associate-affiliate member" right there online for $500!  Wow, there's so much honor in being an "associate affiliate member" of world JKD federation (slightly more honorable then a member of world wrestling federation).

see, here is what Bruce's been talking about.  He started an idea, then overtime it becomes systemized as a tradition, as the gospel truth.  Then trolls like you try to copy and paste it on forums, try to mystify something as simple as fighting.

you lost.
- Buster Keaton

Bruce Lee

Your just talking a lot of fluff now, i remember this being about bruce not doing kung fu.

Quotewhy would he want it on his grave marker")
i don't think he planned to die early and made his funeral arrangements at 30, and even if he did he was caught up in his Jeet Kune Do frenzy and the philosophy around it. At the time, i doubt that he would arrange to put such a thing if he was planning it today.

Quoteas well as its own lineage Dan Inasonto
if you read up more you'd know that the few days before he died he was unhappy how all his schools were run and was going to re-think a lot of things ordering all his schools to shut.

Quotewhat's this? HOOK KICK? SPINNING HOOK KICK? Whoa
If you knew more about JKD and have read the Tao of JKD you'd know that Bruce said he would never use the sort of high or spinning kicks that he performed on screen in real life. he'd stick to low and direct kicks.

Quotetry to mystify something as simple as fighting.
simple eh? try getting into the ring (or even out) with Mike Tyson or any other professional boxer/martial artist your size and see how simple it is.

Quoteyou lost.
i think you lost it a long time ago buddy.

pete

wait, I was quoting the website you gave me in regards to the grave marker comment--and you were just contradicting the website that you brought up yourself, as well as the hook kick.
hey, if you were a foot and you were hungry, would you eat yourself?  stop eating yourself.
- Buster Keaton

NEON MERCURY

cine

Uh thanks but no thanks, Neon. This debate is entertaining.

Bruce Lee

I wasn't contradicting anything it says he practised the hook kick in his school it doesn't mean its used as part of JKD.....not only is it good for stetching the muscles in your leg but im sure it helps Bruce when he needs to do a hook kick during filming.

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Stefen

Just when I thought that painting couldn't ever get worse.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Bruce Lee

i quite like it, its very abstract. but nothing to do with Bruce Lee.