Started by filmcritic, June 18, 2003, 11:33:11 AM

©brad

yeah he's lost it.

Quote from: H.(sparro)W. on December 21, 2007, 02:04:07 PM
It was a time of wonders, an autumn of miracles-

i stopped reading after that.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: H.(sparro)W. on December 21, 2007, 02:04:07 PM
The Tie for 11th Place...Paul Thomas Anderson's "There Will Be Blood," with Daniel Day- Lewis as a single-minded oil well wildcatter who runs roughshod over everyone in his way.

He's at least seen it. Ebert doesn't love love it, but who gives a shit. You guys have been questioning him for a while anyways.

Chest Rockwell

I was more confused by
Quote from: Roger EbertDavid Cronenberg's "Eastern Promises," with Maria Bello...

MacGuffin

Roger Ebert Will Have More Surgery

After undergoing a series of cancer surgeries, Roger Ebert says he'll have yet another operation.

According to a statement in the Chicago Sun-Times, Ebert was to have surgery Thursday in Houston to address complications from previous operations.

Ebert, 65, has been a film critic at the newspaper for more than 40 years.

He has undergone a series of operations, including the removal of a growth on his salivary gland and a tracheostomy, a procedure that opens an airway through an incision in the windpipe, that left him unable to speak.

Though he has been unable to appear on "At the Movies with Ebert & Roeper" for more than a year, with guest hosts filling in, Ebert has been writing reviews regularly.

He said he's written several advance reviews and other columns to appear while he recuperates.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Ebert to resume writing movie reviews

Roger Ebert will resume writing reviews later this month, but will not rejoin his syndicated TV show because he's still unable to speak.

In a letter published in Tuesday's Chicago Sun-Times, the Pulitzer Prize-winning film critic and co-host of TV's "Ebert & Roeper" said surgery in January ended in complications, and his ability to speak was not restored. He said the return of speech would require another surgery.

"But I still have all my other abilities, including the love of viewing movies and writing about them," Ebert said.

Ebert, 65, said he's looking forward to his annual film festival starting April 23.

"I will resume writing movie reviews shortly thereafter," he said.

Ebert, famous for his "thumbs-up" or "thumbs-down" critiques, had surgery in 2006 to remove a cancerous growth on his salivary gland. He also had emergency surgery that year after a blood vessel burst near the site of the operation.

He had undergone cancer surgery three times before the 2006 operation — once in 2002 to remove a malignant tumor on his thyroid gland and twice on his salivary gland the following year.

Ebert said he remains cancer-free, and is not ready to think about more surgery.

"I should be content with the abundance I have," he said.

The 10th annual Ebertfest at the University of Illinois runs April 23-27. Ebert chose 13 films for the festival.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Reinhold

Why did he ever stop writing his (worthless) reviews? Did his condition remove his ability to use his thumbs?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

jtm

maybe he was more concerned with not dying, rather than letting us know what films he likes.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

jtm

bullshit?!?!

put yourself in his shoes. you've been on this earth for 60 something years and find out you have a potentially fatal disease and may not live much longer...  would watching and reviewing movies be something on your list of priorities?

cine

oh my god

uh, yyeah, pete. watch it..

pete

Quote from: jtm on April 16, 2008, 01:15:40 AM
bullshit?!?!

put yourself in his shoes. you've been on this earth for 60 something years and find out you have a potentially fatal disease and may not live much longer...  would watching and reviewing movies be something on your list of priorities?

sarcasm.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Alexandro

i love the guy, but he's been off the mark for a while. he should stick to write as many of his great movies reviews as he can. in that he excels. but trying to connect with the new stuff is not something he's doing very well. juno? before the devil knows you're dead? he's getting old having old people reactions to films.

jtm

Quote from: pete on April 18, 2008, 01:53:32 PM
Quote from: jtm on April 16, 2008, 01:15:40 AM
bullshit?!?!

sarcasm.

you know what? after reading your post i was pretty sure you were being sarcastic, but with this place you can never really tell, so i guessed the opposite.. i mean, i'm pretty sure reinhold was NOT being sarcastic when he was pissed that Ebert wasn't giving us reviews, and i guess i lumped you in with him and his frame of thought. sorry about that.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Alexandro on April 18, 2008, 03:27:04 PM
i love the guy, but he's been off the mark for a while. he should stick to write as many of his great movies reviews as he can. in that he excels. but trying to connect with the new stuff is not something he's doing very well. juno? before the devil knows you're dead? he's getting old having old people reactions to films.

I don't know. I look back at older reviews of his and still see the same critic I do now. He's always over praised a lot of films. He's also taken barely any stands against critical favorites. Full Metal Jacket, Blue Velvet and a few others I know he has taken exception to, but he's always been a candy critic. He's always willing to see the good in every film trend.

He's happier with giving out four star reviews today, but that's the only new thing. I just think we all got older and became more wise to his criticism.

Alexandro

he's always been a candy critic, and his willingness to find the good in each film is one of the things i like about him. that's why i prefer his great movies reviews, cause more than once he has made me see a film i initially disliked in a different light. back in the day he may not have taken a lot of opposite stands against critical favorites, but he was good at choosing bad treated films for certain recognition. he championed jackie brown when everyone else was complainig about it being boring. and he's good at combeying what he thinks in an always respectful, smart, comprehensible for anyone way. now he champions crash and juno and his arguments to defend them are awful. when he trashed blue velvet, or even a clockwork orange, even in disagreement he could make a valid point. now he sounds like your grandpa being stubborn. independently of there will be blood's status as a good, bad, great, awful film, his criticism of that film because it has no female characters is one of the dumbest things he's ever said.