Fluorescent Flicker on miniDV

Started by SoNowThen, October 07, 2005, 04:38:39 AM

SoNowThen

Kinda In The Can/ Tech Talk halfway, but anyway...

I just finished shooting section one of four of a huge project to continue into next year. I THOUGHT I did all the testing that needed to be done beforehand, but now that I view the footage I see one problem. I used 4 lights: two Redheads and 2 store-bought fluorescent work lights (approx 300 watts if tungsten). I am shooting in the UK, power is 240 volts, but recording on a North American Canon XL1S (if that makes a difference). The fluorescents produce a flicker, in the finished product.

Now, is there any way I can correct the footage or reduce the flicker (an Adobe Prem Pro video effect filter or something, or frame-by-frame correction)? Will it get more or less pronounced on a bigger screen? If I did a blow-up to film, would it get worse, or better, or stay the same?

ALSO, for the next section, how can I combat this problem:

1. Get a special power cord for the lights that holds a steady power stream, to reduce the flicker?

2. Buy new lights, cos I got hooped? (This option sucks, because they were cost effective and light and easily moveable and durable).

Any and all comments/suggestions would be VERY helpful and much appreciated.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

I don't know about reducing it in post - but as far as shooting goes, this is how KinoFlo stays in business. They make fluorescent light banks for film shoots, and the lights all have a ballast to regulate any flickering.

SoNowThen

(*in wailing baby-whine*)

But Kino Flo is EXPENNNNNNNNNSIVE!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

killafilm

Rentals.

As for blowing up, it should stay technically the same.  It'd just be more pronounced when viewed on a large screen.  

What shutter speed to you shoot in?

SoNowThen

The override setting on that camera, 1/60.
Hmm, think I could adjust and get rid of some flicker???

killafilm

It wouldn't hurt to test it out.

SoNowThen

This is true.

Thank you. I will try that.

Coffee Films

Try changing the frame rate or even de-interlacing, may help.

Reinhold

Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.