Kill Bill: Volume Two

Started by MacGuffin, September 24, 2003, 01:38:09 AM

edison

Spoliers******

Saw this on friday, though it was good,a nice end to the chaos of vol.1, it didnt make me upset that there wasnt much action here, what i really cant wait for is how Tarantino is going to splice the two together and seeing that finished product. Here are some moments that i really liked:

-Buried Alive
-The steadicam from inside the chapel to outside and rising up in the air
-The whole trailer scene from when Elle(by the way what song is that?) is driving(which i really liked also) to Kiddo walking out of the trailer with Elle storming around "ojo" less.
-Bill's Superman speech
-The final fight in chairs, which i though was pretty awesome even though it was really quick and short, but to have them duke it out all the while just sitting there was pretty neat.
-"How do I look?"  "Ready"  good,sad moment
-Bill's sandwich making, just so natural and smooth, it was pretty hypnotic, i couldnt look at anything else that was going on

Now that we all know her name, when you go back and see vol.1 it's almost like her name was already given to us even though it was bleeped, Lucy says silly rabbit "trix" are for kidds(a line i first hated but once i knew her name though was pretty funny), bill calls her kiddo all the time.

SoNowThen

Quote from: mutinycoThis was pretty accurate: http://www.thehotbutton.com/today/hot.button/2004_thb/040414.html

Wow, that's bizarrely weird, in that that guy hit it all on the nose, at least imo.

But I see some points that y'all are making, and I guess I will see it again. I've scanned, but I can't seem to find -- has Taz posted his thoughts yet?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Pwaybloe

My wife and I went to go see the Saturday matinee.

I, of course, loved the movie.  So, I asked my wife what she thought of it after we left.  

She said, "It was a fucked up mommy and daughter story, but it worked."

That was the best review for the movie I've seen so far.

mutinyco

Jesus, SoNowThen and I are in agreeance. Jesus. (8 year olds, Dude...)
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

SoNowThen

Yeah, I know.

Today the heavens shall part. Be thee ware, the end is nigh...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

Nah, it'll just be John Turturro getting his ass beat by a redneck.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

bonanzataz

Quote from: SoNowThenI've scanned, but I can't seem to find -- has Taz posted his thoughts yet?

nope, but i guess now's as good a time as any.

SPOILERS AHEAD, KIDDO

the movie first started and i was really into it, and then it kind of all slowed down and i was wondering whether or not i was digging it. then, once we flashed back to pei mai and uma escaped from the lonely grave of paula shulz, i was totally back in. budd was great, elle was great (esp. the "i killed your masta!" line and when she gets her eye torn out - that i was not expecting). overall i really enjoyed it. maybe not as good as vol. 1 - certainly very different - but as i left the theater w/ my friends, we all just felt really "satisfied." one friend of mine was saying that she had to close her eyes during the part where beatrix was getting buried and the screen was completely black - i thought that was funny and to me it means that tarantino succeeded. so, yeah, not the best movie ever, but i really like it and plan to see it again soon so as to form a real concrete opinion. certainly better than anything else i've seen in a while. besides dawn of the dead. dawn of the dead kicked ass.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Pozer

Quote from: aerokong
I will have to think that Quentin Tarantino most developed character is Quentin Tarantino and that it took all his "character development" energy.

A movie that says "I am so bright, audiences are so stupid, they swallow everything I put on screen just because it is me doing it"

"Come, leave your money, go home a little more stupid and confused"

The lioness has her cub, we have your dollars, you have nothing but think you got something.
you realize you're alone on this one right?

Did you haters see the same movie that my audience and I saw?

A Matter Of Chance

Quote from: poser(isms)
Quote from: aerokong
I will have to think that Quentin Tarantino most developed character is Quentin Tarantino and that it took all his "character development" energy.

A movie that says "I am so bright, audiences are so stupid, they swallow everything I put on screen just because it is me doing it"

"Come, leave your money, go home a little more stupid and confused"

The lioness has her cub, we have your dollars, you have nothing but think you got something.
you realize you're alone on this one right?

Did you haters see the same movie that my audience and I saw?

I agree, I don't even see the basis of their complaints

Tictacbk

Wait...Kill Bill was confusing?  Someone stole my money? now I'm confused.

©brad

okay so like whoa...

i think peter traver's review said it best when he described volume 2 as "the hottest mix tape in the history of cinema." t-o-t-a-l-l-y.

ghostboy's synopsis/review is brilliant, so ditto on all that.

let me first give props to uma, cuz all fanboys want to do is talk about tarantino, but uma's performance in this one was remarkably remarkable. how she can be so badass and tough while at the same time sweet and vulnerable is amazing, for lack of a better adjective. the look(s) on her face in the bathroom when she's lying on the floor crying/smiling (my favorite part)--- oh man.

okay, i was cringing in my seat during that buried-alive-cut-to-black scene. sweet jesus, was that intense or what? one of the more harrowing tarantino scenes, if not the most.  

here's my question; when did tarantino get so gosh darn visually innovative? i mean, this is not the same director of pulp/jb. actually, i see a lot of pta in kill bill, in both volumes.

what else... see there's so many good moments in the film, so many that they overwhelm eachother and u forget them. i have to say that i couldn't have been happy with the final chapter. i mean dude, it was really quite... moving, wasn't it? and who says tarantino has no heart?

i don't really understand the incessant need to view this as a separate film. 10 years from now, when we're all older and married and still jacking off to tarantino's filmography, we'll look back at kill bill as one film. i promise.

edison

What was the point of Budd saying he sold the sword, was that just to make his brother mad?

Tictacbk

My thoughts were that he was just sort playing into his "gave up the life" and "she deserves her revenge and we deserve to die" image that he created for himself.

That reminds me...what happened to the pussy wagon?

A Matter Of Chance

In the original script, the pussy wagon get's shot up by Yuki, go-go's sister, when she goes to get her revenge.

I read the script after I saw the movie, just wanted to see how it was on paper.

Banky

Quote from: TENOCHIf you don't dont like this film, then you dont get Tarantino

i dont think so

Quote from: SoNowThenIn the first one, the mindless gore transcended the B-movie fare it came from to be brilliance. That's why I loved it. In this one, I don't give a shit if the characters are happy or sad or whatever. I came to see bloody revenge. .

i mostly agree with this

Quote from: Weak2ndActI guess what I loved most about the flick is how it subverted expectations... that two of the members of the death list were not actually killed by the Bride, and that Bill's death was almost anti-climatic (and I for one, was sad to see him go).  

really? because that is one of the reasons i thought it was kind of lame.

i think that everyone's opinion of the film is completely valid although I do believe some words like brilliant, splendid, and others are used at least on some level just because it's QT.

I thought the movie was but I wasn't a fan of the "subverted expectations."  I mean what a huge reason to not like a film.  I mean watching all the epic fight scenes in KBV1 you think that the duel with Bill is going to be fucking cake.  I even thought to myself that I had not seen much of the bride and Bill fighting in the trailers so hopefully they were keeping it some what secret.  I mean I don't see how more don't think the ending was anti climactic.  I mean why hire DC if he's not going to get in their and mix it up a bit?  The scenes with the daughter were very bland and I actually laughed when the bride played dead during the little game with the family as if she would do that not only when she has been focused on Bill for so long but she is also realizing her daughter is not dead.  I mean how many times can you show The Bride crying before it becomes ineffectual?  I liked the first one for all its funny nuances like The Brides notepad and the blaring siren noise but this film didn't seem to have much of those.  I just felt like that I was cheated when she didn't get her kill on Bud or Elle.  I am fine with suspending disbelief but the nearly point blank shot gun blast barely seem to affect her other than her initial hit to the ground.  I don't agree that it is pointless to compare the two films because guess what, they are two separate movies.  That would be like saying you cannot compare Reloaded with Revolutions. (hopefully someone wont quote me on some shit I said about rel/rev months ago)  I understand that it is really one long movie broken into two but that doesn't change that it is still broken into two.  I think as one film it would play a lot better and with some appropriate cuts as well.  All that being said I didn't hate the movie by any means.  There were some things I did really like and that I thought were memorable but walking out of the theatre I just fell un-satisfied.

Im up for continuing to discuss this film and for arguing but keep in mind im not trying to be combative with anyone on my opinion  and honestly i am envious and happy for anyone who really loved this film.