Filmmakers who lost their sheep

Started by Pro T-Bono, January 13, 2004, 11:32:56 PM

molly

when you can't insult somebody, say he'll never top himself.

j_scott_stroup04

Demme

DePalma

Reiner

I would say Schumacher, but he's never had it to begin with

and Burton has NOT lost his shit, by any means.
"The sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"- Rolling Stones

"When I am King you will be first against the wall!"- Radiohead

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04

you didn't like Phone Booth?
context, context, context.

j_scott_stroup04

actually...to be honest...that ranks in his "Worth a Look" category (going by "They Shoot Pictures" ratings)...

I just don't like him...the only movie I like by him is The Lost boys.

Schumacher breaks down likes this:

Recommended: The Lost Boys

Worth a Look: Phonebooth, Batman Forever

Approach With Caution: 8mm, A Time to Kill

Dud: Batman and Robin, The Client, Bad Company

Which would give him about a 4 (out of 10), going by They Shoot Pictures again.  That puts him below average in my book.

I forgot to say that Lucas has lost his shit

ono

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04I forgot to say that Lucas has lost his shit
Lucas never had it to begin with.

j_scott_stroup04

hahaha  :lol: ....if it wasn't for American Graffiti....I'd probably agree with ya!

The Perineum Falcon

What about Ridley Scott? My film teacher PRAISED his earlier film The Duellists as well as Blade Runner, though I have never personally cared for Ridley at all. Do you think he's lost any creativity he may have had, or did he just "sell out" as some would say?
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

cowboykurtis

Quote from: ranemaka13What about Ridley Scott? My film teacher PRAISED his earlier film The Duellists as well as Blade Runner, though I have never personally cared for Ridley at all. Do you think he's lost any creativity he may have had, or did he just "sell out" as some would say?

ridley hasnt soled out in the least -- hes always been a big studio director-- i think hes had solid consistency.
...your excuses are your own...

Alethia

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04Demme

DePalma

Reiner

and Burton has NOT lost his shit, by any means.

demme yes, but i have a feeling he's gonna make a hell of a comeback in the next few years........

DePalma looked as tho he did, but I think he went back to being good ol' depalma with femme fatale........anyone else like that as much as me?

reiner lost it years ago and doesn't look as if he's comin back anytime soon

schumacher has no point in being discussed here (not that he's bad, but he never had his shit to begin with)

Burton is still great

j_scott_stroup04

agree with everything you said...except for the Femme Fatale thing.  Only because I haven't seen it.  It does seem like the good ol' DePalma though.  His last few films have just left such a bad taste in my mouth, it's hard for me to even get the initiative to watch his older, good stuff.  

John Woo has lost his shit...back in the 80's, he was badass, then he did Hard Target, wrong choice, then he did Broken Arrow, slight comeback, Face/Off, total comeback, Mission Impossible 2, staying where he's good at, but kind of knocked him back to where he was prior to Face/Off, Windtalkers, sucks, start of the down slope, Paycheck, looks like regurgitated shit.  His career is so much like a freakin' rollercoaster.

NEON MERCURY

....this schumacher hate is realy ill-advised.....

consider these films.....

falling down
flatliners
phonebooth.
8mm
the lost boys
tigerland....

those are 6 solid films........IMO...........

........and annother thing....

NEON'S RISING STAR PREDICTION......shea whigham......

this guy is badass....he was in tigerland ..he played the psychotic onne.....and then was great in all the real girls..as kip.......and schumacher found this guy.....but you guys donn't have to praise my genious yet.......

Alethia

Quote from: j_scott_stroup04John Woo has lost his shit...

most definitely

modage

Quote from: NEON MERCURY....this schumacher hate is realy ill-advised.....
i'm sorry but its all justified.  

i dont care if he did citizen kane, he also did this and thats inexcusable
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Alethia

soixante

Black Hawk Down is the first Ridley Scott film I ever really liked.  His earlier films seemed to be exercises in flashy cinematography, not cinema.

Femme Fatale, in my opinion, is not a return to form for De Palma.  It is more like an excuse to shoot lots of nude scenes.
Music is your best entertainment value.