Tim Burton

Started by tpfkabi, April 20, 2003, 02:42:22 PM

Just Withnail

Yeah! Fuckin'a. Grim Fandango is exellent movie material, and it's perfect for Burton. I dreamt of adapting it myself someday, but yeah, this is better  :yabbse-grin:

I'm not a big gamer, but I've played through Grim Fandango three times - just because it's cooler than most cool films.

you guys got me all excited because of this game. i love vacations .
if any mac user is interested i found a program called Grim X which runs the game on OS X

http://www.versiontracker.com/php/dlpage.php?id=29897&db=mac&pid=95589&kind=&lnk=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fh-augsburg.de%2F%7Estevan%2FGrim_X_0_3.zip

context, context, context.

killafilm

So he's def. doing the Killers video and it's going to have riffs of From Here to Eternity and actual footage from Lolita.

MacGuffin

Killers Are (Beetle) Juiced For Tim Burton-Directed 'Bones' Clip
Second clip from band's Sam's Town LP will be Burton's first music video.   
Source: MTV

NEW YORK — By their own admission, the Killers took their sweet old time making their sophomore album, Sam's Town. The same cannot be said, however, for their approach to making music videos.

Because less than a month after they traipsed down to Mexico with director Anthony Mandler (Eminem, 50 Cent) to shoot an epic clip for "When You Were Young," the Killers decided to shoot another video, this one for the song "Bones." And they called in the big guns too, scoring noted goth auteur Tim Burton to direct it.

"We were just kicking around ideas for the 'Bones' video, and we thought, 'Wouldn't it be great if Tim Burton could shoot this?' We reached out to his people and he came back and said he wanted to work with us, which was amazing," bassist Mark Stoermer told MTV News. "We've shot all our parts and now the video is being worked on. It's going to have computer graphics and models ... we're not really sure how it's going to turn out. Usually we go over the treatment with a fine-toothed comb and have a lot of influence, but this time we just let Tim do his thing."

Burton shot the Killers' performance on August 17-18 in Los Angeles, and according to their label, Island Records, he and a team of animators are now hard at work in London, creating an entire town and cast of characters that inhabit it. While additional details are scarce, the Killers say the clip features plenty of nods to Burton's big-screen roots — including models, miniature sets and, of course, skeletons — but with a decidedly Vegas twist.

"A lot of the models and sets are based on historic Las Vegas — on things that aren't there anymore, like the Glass Pool Inn, this really cool place that was torn down a few years ago that was down at the south end of the Strip," drummer Ronnie Vannucci added. "But, like Mark said, we don't really know 100 percent what it's going to be like. We put our faith in Tim."

The "Bones" clip marks Burton's debut as a music-video director — though he's sometimes confused with Mighty Mighty Bosstones sax player Tim "Johnny Vegas" Burton, who directed a pair of clips for his band in the early '90s. And while there's still no word on just when it will hit the airwaves, the Killers maintain that there's no real hurry. After all, they've got a North American tour to focus on first, and as frontman Brandon Flowers puts it, they feel like the clip is in good hands.

"It's Tim Burton. It's going to be great," he laughed. "There are some skeletons, some darkness and some romance. What more could you want?"
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Actress Lisa Marie Sues Ex-Boyfriend Tim Burton

(AP) LOS ANGELES Actress Lisa Marie Wednesday sued her director ex-boyfriend Tim Burton to rescind contracts she maintains cheated her out of her rights to assets her allegedly promised her during their nearly 10-year, live-in relationship.

Marie, who has had roles in several of Burton's films, filed her lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleging fraud and breach of fiduciary duty.

In addition to the scuttling of the couple's contracts, she is asking for unspecified damages.

Burton or a representative were not immediately available for comment.

According to the lawsuit, Marie and Burton began their relationship in December 1991. Burton told her that they would "combine their efforts and earnings and would share equally any an all property accumulated ..." the lawsuit stated.

Burton also said he would financially support Marie for the rest of her life, the lawsuit stated.

However, Burton abruptly ended their relationship and she turned to her personal adviser for advice, according to the lawsuit.

Marie, in her emotionally fragile state at the time, believed the adviser's statements that she had her best interests at heart and was loyal to her only, the lawsuit stated.

The adviser recommended Marie consult with an attorney he selected regarding her rights against Burton, the lawsuit stated.

However, the lawyer convinced Marie to enter contracts with Burton that deprived her of her rights to parts of the property to which she was entitled, the lawsuit said.

The lawyer falsely told Marie she would have little chance of prevailing in a palimony suit against Burton, the lawsuit stated.

Marie's most recent film role was in the 2001 remake of "Planet of the Apes," which Burton directed.

Skeleton FilmWorks

children with angels

This is mad:

Burton Bringing Manson/von Teese Relationship to the Big Screen?
Director Tim Burton is so fascinated by Marilyn Manson's relationship with his estranged wife Dita Von Teese, he is planning to turn the failed marriage into a movie. Burton is reportedly in talks with the shock rocker to document his life with burlesque dancer Von Teese and bring it to the big screen. He says, "I'm fascinated by Dita and Marilyn. They're like a living Brothers Grimm fairytale."  Source: IMDB

I would imagine this will never happen, but it's intriguing (in a mad way)...
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

mogwai

he should make a movie about his previous relationship instead. too much wasted film on a hasbeen..

ooops, that makes them two btw.

MacGuffin

Is Tim Burton Directing 'Frankenweenie' for Disney?
Source: Cinematical

During an advanced screening of the upcoming Disney movie Enchanted, it appears Dick Cook, the Chairman of Walt Disney Pictures, let slip some news that wasn't supposed to be out there for at least another month. According to AICN, via someone who attended said Enchanted screening, Cook announced during the Q&A that Disney is prepping a stop-motion feature to be directed by "the creative mastermind behind the majority of stop-motion pictures in the last decade." It shouldn't take a genius to figure out the person he's talking about: Tim Burton. So once this news was out there, folks immediately began speculating as to which film Burton would be directing for Disney. That's when another person emailed AICN with the following: "It's a feature length remake of his short "Frankenweenie." All stop motion. Leave me completely anonymous, please."

For those who do not know what a Frankenweenie is, it's one of Burton's earlier short films (from 1984), and originally Disney was going to release the short. However, some claim the content was a bit too "questionable" for children, and the release plan was subsequently shelved. Eventually, the short showed up as an extra feature on the Nightmare Before Christmas DVD. Did Disney ask Burton to re-tool the film so that it would be more family-friendly, and give him the go-ahead to start planning a feature? It certainly seems logical, but do keep in mind these are all rumors as of now (and Disney seems to be going out of their way not to comment). Based on Mary Shelley's classic, Frankenstein, Frankenweenie follows a boy whose dog is hit and killed by a car. C'mon, you should be able to figure out the rest -- he brings dog back to life, people freak out, blah blah.

Skeleton FilmWorks

ElPandaRoyal

I enjoy "Frankenweenie" quite a bit, and even though it has a lot of charm, I can totally see it as a feature length stop-motion animation.
Si

Heinsbergen

yeah this could be a pretty good stop-motion-feature. until they'll (if ever) release it probably another five years will pass or so.
when i was a little kid i wanted to know what caused thunder.

modage

ATTN: NYC
Fresh Blood: An Evening with Tim Burton
A first look at footage from Sweeney Todd

Wednesday, November 14 at 8:00 pm
Rose Theater
Frederick P. Rose Hall
Home of Jazz at Lincoln Center
Broadway at 60th Street, New York City

Admission: Orchestra & Mezzanine: $50 FSLC Members & $60 General Public; Balcony: $40 FSLC Members & $50 General Public. Reserved seating with limited ticket availability in some sections of the theater.*

Witty, often elegant and always unpredictable, the films of Tim Burton have created a special niche for themselves within contemporary cinema. A born spinner of tall tales, whose subjects have ranged from Martians to Z-list Hollywood directors to, now, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Burton takes audiences places they'd never thought they'd go—and in ways they couldn't have imagined. We're delighted to welcome Tim Burton for an evening of conversation, clips featuring some of the greatest moments from his films, and a "first look" at his eagerly anticipated screen adaptation of Sweeney Todd, marking his sixth collaboration with Johnny Depp.

http://filmlinc.com/special/events/timburton07.htm

$50 is REALLY steep for just 'an evening with' and not even a todd screening.  and i already saw him 2 years ago for the corpse bride screening BUT i got one anyway because i grew up with this bastards films and i think i'm in the first 3 rows.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Stefen

Burton is an entertaining individual. It's probably going to be worth it. It's not like you're paying top dollar to hear a boring filmmaker with absolutely no personality speak like George Lucas, or....Wes Anderson.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

ha well i did just see Wes speak 3 times in the past few weeks BUT i didn't pay top dollar for any of them. 

Q&A at Apple Store (w/Portman and Schwarzman) for Chevalier screening = Free.
intro at NYFF for Darjeeling screening = $20
90 Min Conversation With for NYFF = $16

he was funny but i met him at NONE of them.  :yabbse-undecided: